Symphony X unplugged?

that's WHY it would be cool, because it would be something new for the band instead of more stale metal.

It would definitely be cool, but I just don't realistically see them doing it.

Both acoustic and orchestra albums are cliche, but the latter definitely fits Symphony X's style more. However, it's hard to imagine them doing it, since their older material fits the orchestra vibe far more and I don't see them sacrificing most of their newer material for their first DVD.

I don't think it would be good.Too many bands use to do it,and at the end a fan
is always tied to the original versions,besides tracks like ballads would be too similar to the original.For me the only acoustic-orchestral album worthwhile was
Rage with Lingua mortis orchestra in wich there were good version of their classics in a very special style,but I'm not anxious to do such a thing by SX,I
prefeir waiting many years for a new album

I'm going to go out on a limb here and reply to all of these. This is why the band's output and fanbase are stale. It's a bold claim, but it's true.
New and non-metal is not always good.

Symphony X doing an unplugged album is a waste of talent imo.
False. You're making the error of writing off the band's compositional and arrangement ability, in essence you're saying that they should stick to the "symphonic" stuff because that's what they're good at. This is actually an insult as it pigeonholes their creativity and suggests they are a one-trick pony. I for one certainly hope that is not proven true.
The things they'd have to leave out are the things they excel at. For some bands this is a great idea, for Symphony X not so much.

A live orchestra DVD is a more suitable "different" thing for this band, but not so much for some other bands.
Again, here we go with the same mentality. You suggest they stick with the orchestral stuff, even add a REAL orchestra, which renders much of the band's current arrangements superfluous. On the other hand, a Live DVD would be a good thing, just not in this ill-chosen format. Again here you openly admit you think the stuff they're good at would be lost on an acoustic album. How then can some of the acoustic ballads as they currently are be as good as they are?
How is an unplugged album different anyway? Isn't that one of the most eyerolling cliches in the world? When I found out Marillion did it I almost vomited out of disgust, you'd think they'd have more taste
A fair assessment. That is the trick you see. Everything's been done. There's not an original story out there, but if you can tell it well enough and with a fresh approach, you can entice eager listeners. PoS' 12:5 accomplishes this with ease. It is such a departure from their normal repertoire that it is as if they are new songs. For Marillion, this doesn't work as much of their work involves acoustic instruments. There's no departure, so it is a cliche poorly executed.
It would definitely be cool, but I just don't realistically see them doing it.

Both acoustic and orchestra albums are cliche, but the latter definitely fits Symphony X's style more. However, it's hard to imagine them doing it, since their older material fits the orchestra vibe far more and I don't see them sacrificing most of their newer material for their first DVD.
Again, what "fits" is what makes it boring, unimaginative, and therefore, not interesting. Not of value to ADD to the existing catalog. There's no sacrifice in creating a DVD that showcases all of the band's strong points. A DVD with an acoustic set as a bonus would accomplish this just fine, and still show off the current "metal" stuff. Even having some of those songs on the acoustic set, drastically re-arranged, would work. I don't think you all realize how uninteresting an orchestra set would be for a band that already sounds and intentionally arranges like one.
I don't think it would be good.Too many bands use to do it,and at the end a fan
is always tied to the original versions,besides tracks like ballads would be too similar to the original.For me the only acoustic-orchestral album worthwhile was
Rage with Lingua mortis orchestra in wich there were good version of their classics in a very special style,but I'm not anxious to do such a thing by SX,I
prefeir waiting many years for a new album
Obviously a fresh new album trumps all.

However, barring that, the next best thing would be a fresh look on old favorites, and orchestral performances would not accomplish that. There are many songs (speaking generally now, of other bands) whose re-arranged acoustic version HAS BECOME THE DE-FACTO version representative. Such songs break with your assumption that "the original is the best" - because it's not always the case. A skillful arrangement is everything, everything in music.

The idea to do an unplugged recording would far surpass any attempt at an orchestral collaboration. It has the same merit as, for example, a band whose normal style is stripped down 3 piece to work with a full orchestra, and re-arrange all the songs with new components. The key is the departure from the "norm".

Hey if you want a SICK acoustic album, get that Green Carnation one.

Here's a song (from their LIVE ORCHESTRA CONCERT [hahahaha] - but without the orchestra [for this particular song]):

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea to do an unplugged recording would far surpass any attempt at an orchestral collaboration.

Well if that's what you think then that's what you think. Maybe I'm just not seeing all the merit of your opinion.

It just seems obvious to me (and probably the band itself) that the orchestra route is more appropriate for this band. In terms of doing something "different" I think both are, the acoustic recording being on the minimalistic side (which can mean better as you know), and the orchestral one being on the opposite of that. I just think that the latter opens to door to much more epicness and creativity than the former, because this band seems to be one of those bands where "more is better" instead of one of those bands where "less is more". The rich instrumentation, multi-layering, polyrhythming, etc. are things Symphony X is great at. It should seek to maximize that potential but differently from their typical symphonic style. i.e. Romeo should take the opportunity to make a greater and more creative use of the orchestra than usual.

When I think of an acoustic recording, I think of them playing arrangements of some their ballads and simpler songs on some acoustic guitars and maybe an acoustic piano (they'd have to pick songs that can translate well to an acoustic setting without becoming boring).

When I think of an orchestral recording, I think of different arrangements including new pieces (such as a great new prelude) written by Romeo specifically for the orchestra. I think of soft majestic performances of Communion and the Oracle and Lady of the Snow. I think of epic and rich arrangements of Divine Wings of Tragedy and Iconoclast, and so on. Now you might not be into that kind of stuff because it's not "different" enough for you, but to me it is, but more importantly: It makes more sense for this band, it's as simply as that. I wouldn't try to outsmart that commonsense by projecting certain personal preferences on a band that obviously shines at something else.

I don't really care whether they did something with an orchestra or something unplugged. I'd be happy if they just did something. They could even do both (unplugged with an orchestra). Both things seem unlikely to happen any time soon in any case. We've been waiting for any kind of a DVD for years and years. IIRC, Romeo has said that he would want it to be something special and not just a normal show so I suppose something like an orchestra is possible if they do indeed make a DVD one day. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

It would be... awesome.

"Nuff said."

As far as a DVD goes; you guys do know that they are on a Gigantour DVD with Megadeth, Dream Theater, Nevermore, and etc? They play "Of Sins and Shadows" and "Inferno."

Also, they should tour with Dream Theater again.
:)

Of course everybody knows. And I don't think they should tour with Dream Theater. The most disappointing show I've been to. (Symphony X played for 30 minutes)

I've never seen Dream Theater live...ever...I probably would enjoy it (in general I like all bands better live), but I wouldn't really want to pay for it, because (1) I'm po' ass broke and (2) I don't want to encourage them!

Again, what "fits" is what makes it boring, unimaginative, and therefore, not interesting. Not of value to ADD to the existing catalog. There's no sacrifice in creating a DVD that showcases all of the band's strong points. A DVD with an acoustic set as a bonus would accomplish this just fine, and still show off the current "metal" stuff. Even having some of those songs on the acoustic set, drastically re-arranged, would work. I don't think you all realize how uninteresting an orchestra set would be for a band that already sounds and intentionally arranges like one.

Perhaps it would make it boring to you, but I'm trying to be a realist here. Would I like an acoustic performance of some of their songs? Sure. Would it be an entertaining show? Yeah, to the people who were expecting it (seeing some of the metal-heads getting pissed off at the lack of heaviness would be kind of funny). Do I think it's likely to happen? Absolutely not.

I don't care if you think that an orchestral performance is "cliche," since it brings out what their music is known for. Plenty of other bands have played with orchestras and it has turned out boring because their music was not as classically-based as Symphony X's. And while you say that because their music is so classically-influenced it would be boring with an orchestra, I couldn't disagree more.

Much of the band's earlier works were written with multiple orchestrations that simply cannot be played live by four people. But with a full orchestra, those parts could appear, as could new parts written by Romeo. Are you seriously telling me that the entirety of V played with an orchestra would be boring?

As far as Dream Theater goes, the musicians are great live. It's their singer that drags them down.

Perhaps it would make it boring to you, but I'm trying to be a realist here. Would I like an acoustic performance of some of their songs? Sure. Would it be an entertaining show? Yeah, to the people who were expecting it (seeing some of the metal-heads getting pissed off at the lack of heaviness would be kind of funny). Do I think it's likely to happen? Absolutely not.

I don't care if you think that an orchestral performance is "cliche," since it brings out what their music is known for. Plenty of other bands have played with orchestras and it has turned out boring because their music was not as classically-based as Symphony X's. And while you say that because their music is so classically-influenced it would be boring with an orchestra, I couldn't disagree more.

Much of the band's earlier works were written with multiple orchestrations that simply cannot be played live by four people. But with a full orchestra, those parts could appear, as could new parts written by Romeo. Are you seriously telling me that the entirety of V played with an orchestra would be boring?

As far as Dream Theater goes, the musicians are great live. It's their singer that drags them down.
=\

You and I disagree completely about live music it seems. DT is horrid live, and it's not LaBrie's fault. Their shows are all the same performance, you can pretty much write the script.

I am telling you that yes the entirety of V played with an orchestra WITHOUT REARRANGING is boring as fuck. And that I don't imagine SX to be the kind of band to re-arrange parts.

Also, this "classically-based" mumbo jumbo is really getting old. SX is a metal band. A prog metal band. The only thing classical about anything they do is the riffs they lift from Bach and others. I'm not meaning that as an insult, it's just a plain fact. Stepping away from that, into fresh territory, would rejuvenate their catalog. As it stands, they are sadly in danger of becoming "just another metal band" in a sea of just another metal bands with likewise similar formulas. See Kamelot for example.

When I saw DT and Symphony X in Hartwall arena, I actually fell "asleep" a little during DT... :erk:

The very same experience in the very same gig, mate.:erk:

I can actually see Kenneth's point about an orchestral gig possibly not being the amazing experience most people seem to think it'd be. Sonically it wouldn't be different from using pre-recorded orchestrations in the background and they could already easily do that if they wanted to.