Tatoo Idea??

I'll have to talk to my artist about it. see what he thinks, he drew this all from scratch so he might be a bit offended haha. How should we cover it up tho?

in odin pics that you've seen, had both eyes?

Odin%20final%20750px.jpg

it seems left here, to be honest im not sure what eye now :S

409px-Georg_von_Rosen_-_Oden_som_vandringsman%2C_1886_%28Odin%2C_the_Wanderer%29.jpg

i think i'll stick with him losing his left one!

the main photo we used he had both eyes...i wish i would have found that first one its awesome

Well, but it's a fantasy, so I guess that shouldn't be considered a problem. In my oppinion, forcing myths into looking 'real' always makes them loose some of it's magic, so I'd rather differ on that one. Besides that, if you want to have a good argument for that, you can always say than in this case the horns/wings/whathever are being used as a sign of social status, to show it's place and opulence amongst the other vikings. And when it comes to practicity, well, it might weight, but after all it's a god you're talking about, I believe he can handle well even with that on his head.

Buuuut, I agree on that the eye should be covered, to make it fit a little more with the regular version everyone knows. I've always seen it with his left eye missing, so I think you should put that one away (you can simply cover it with black and it'll look as if the shadow projected by the helm is covering the hollow).
If I had to choose which one of my eyes to give away I should choose the left one because I'm right-handed, and being that your Odin is too, it would look sensate.

Going to see him next Tuesday I'll talk to him about it, but I mean im really happy with the way it turned out. So if he thinks he can make it look great then we'll do it otherwise ill suffice with saying its just a viking. Bleh I can't believe I didn't know about the eye. I guess its not too big of a deal to me. It still looks awesome XD

Going to see him next Tuesday I'll talk to him about it, but I mean im really happy with the way it turned out. So if he thinks he can make it look great then we'll do it otherwise ill suffice with saying its just a viking. Bleh I can't believe I didn't know about the eye. I guess its not too big of a deal to me. It still looks awesome XD

I think it looks pretty badass as well. Personally me, I wouldnt sweat the eye thing...if he can work it in great if not...then hell whats it matter anyways....in the end its the person who has the tatt that has to enjoy it anyways.

Apart from two or three representations of (ritual) helmets – with protrusions that may be either stylized ravens, snakes or horns – no depiction of Viking Age warriors' helmets, and no preserved helmet, has horns. In fact, the formal close-quarters style of Viking combat (either in shield walls or aboard "ship islands") would have made horned helmets cumbersome and hazardous to the warrior's own side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikings#Horned_helmets

I had a thought a couple days ago of getting a raven on each bicep with Huginn and Muninn written in runes, respectively...I think I'll wait a few months and see if it still grabs me.

i am considering about getting a valkyire, it is those how are bringing you to The hall up high or hell. (That is what i've read)

i am considering about getting a valkyire, it is those how are bringing you to The hall up high or hell. (That is what i've read)

Yeah, the Valkyries bring the dead warriors to Odin's hall.

But, if I may, I find it amusing, if not totally idiotic, that people here would tatoo mythology related things on their body although they seem to not know much about it. The dude who thought he tatooed Odin without knowing he had one eye, and Slapper who "read" that the Valkyries bring you to Odin's Hall.
A tatoo stays on you forever, get your shit right and clear before doing it. Also, its kind of being a poser if you "mutilate" your body for something you don't know much about.
Reminds me of this guy I met who had a mjolnir pendant, he didn't even know what it was but just wore it like the bands... I know also a few guys with mjolnir pendants who just know Odin and Thor are viking gods and that's about it. I hate poser :p

Sorry if I'm rude here, its not meant to be. Just try to get more informed about what you're getting tatooed before doing it. It stays forever guys, be clever.

I recently got tatooed, will post a pic soon I guess.

edit : oh, and eye patches for Odin suck.. he's not a filthy pirate. a scar is much cooler :)

Anyone know what symbolism the wolf holds in Norse mythology? I thought about getting a wolf paw on my one shoulder, but I don't know what symbolism it holds beyond my personal feelings about it. But perhaps those feelings are all that matter when choosing a tattoo.

But perhaps those feelings are all that matter when choosing a tattoo.

Indeed. But you must also imagine your future feelings. Imagine you wanna get a wolf tatooed and appreciate norse mythology, and then realize wolves in norse mythology are a representation of gayness... you will be disappointed.
Thats just an example. In truth, wolves in norse mythology are cool. Its either a faithful being such as Odin's two wolves, also an image to lone warriors and the force of nature, a wolf can also be an evil yet powerful being like Fenriz.

I had a problem like that... there is a symbol in France, a Gaulish cock (as in the male of hens). Its a very well known symbol here, the equivalent of the German eagle, or the Russian bear. Cocks are very brave animals, they defend their hens with ferocity even against enemies they can't beat (foxes, some snakes..). So i fell on this drawing of a stylized angry Gaulish cock (attacking a german eagle.. but I'd take it away), it looked real kick ass (ferocious looking, very menacing... I know its hard, but try to imagine it) and I thought I'd get it tattooed on my back.. and then I realized that it could be subject of mockery if I go to an english speaking country : "hey, you have a huge cock on your back". :D we don't have that "metaphor" in french.. anyway its too bad, but I'm happy I realized this before getting tattooed, I would have regretted it.

All this to say that before getting tattooed you gotta put it in perspective, read things about the subject and imagine things (such as mythology, symbolism...) you could be interested in in the future which could affect your appreciation for your tatoo.

But, if I may, I find it amusing, if not totally idiotic, that people here would tatoo mythology related things on their body although they seem to not know much about it. The dude who thought he tatooed Odin without knowing he had one eye, and Slapper who "read" that the Valkyries bring you to Odin's Hall.
A tatoo stays on you forever, get your shit right and clear before doing it. Also, its kind of being a poser if you "mutilate" your body for something you don't know much about.
Reminds me of this guy I met who had a mjolnir pendant, he didn't even know what it was but just wore it like the bands... I know also a few guys with mjolnir pendants who just know Odin and Thor are viking gods and that's about it. I hate poser :p

Sorry if I'm rude here, its not meant to be. Just try to get more informed about what you're getting tatooed before doing it. It stays forever guys, be clever.

[...]

All this to say that before getting tattooed you gotta put it in perspective, read things about the subject and imagine things (such as mythology, symbolism...) you could be interested in in the future which could affect your appreciation for your tatoo.

I know what you mean, thats why I'm waiting a few months before getting my aforementioned idea...gives me time to think and do some research to make sure there are no hidden cocks in there:p:lol:

I do like most of what I've seen related to ravens so far though, and I'm not just talking norse mythology...If anyone does see any potential issues with ravens I wouldn't mind hearing about them:)

I know what you mean, thats why I'm waiting a few months before getting my aforementioned idea...gives me time to think and do some research to make sure there are no hidden cocks in there:p:lol:

I do like most of what I've seen related to ravens so far though, and I'm not just talking norse mythology...If anyone does see any potential issues with ravens I wouldn't mind hearing about them:)

Well I got Hugin and Munin tattooed on the upper right arm, sitting on the world tree (I know that's not "mythologically" correct, I just wanted that) and I still don't see anything I could regret about ravens. One thing though, make sure to have them tattooed big enough to ensure good detail so people recognize they're ravens. I had this guy ask me what those "pigeon tattoos" were about. The fact that he thought those were silly pigeons busted my balls badly :D and I do regret their (too) small size. But then again, who cares what other people really think ^^