Technical Death Metal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Red In The Sky Is Ours has it's own technicality, and could easily pass as a 'technical' album.

even if they are technical , but i would not spend money on at the gates or deicide but i would spend on (Demilich and Pestilence, for certain).;)

Yeah, but you're a huge fag and a fucking Jew, so why would anyone care what you would do?

Uh, yeah. All three are far more technical than most of what has been discussed in this thread (Death? Nigga please!), and they are, for that matter, more technical in an absolute sense than some of the other albums I myself mentioned (Demilich and Pestilence, for certain).

Oh no not really. Death is actually very technical and Saltrubbed Eyes was only technical in terms of the drums, but everything was pretty standard. At The Gates I can see I guess, but saying it's more technical than Demilich is just retarded. Though I'm not a huge fan Opeth is very technical. Edge of Sanity's Crimson 1 and 2 are both pretty impressive.

Oh shit and The Chasm

The Red In The Sky Is Ours is probobly the only ATG release that could be called technical apart from maybe a couple songs on With Fear...

Oh no not really. Death is actually very technical

No more so than Morbid Angel or Monstrosity or Immolation or any other fairly refined death metal band - the real difference was that Death's later releases focus attention on the technical aspects in a way that the better death metal bands never had to do.

and Saltrubbed Eyes was only technical in terms of the drums

...and bass, and guitar, and, well, there's really nothing conventional on the album.

At The Gates I can see I guess, but saying it's more technical than Demilich is just retarded.

Look, I've been possibly the biggest supporter of Demilich out there, but their music lacks the precision and sheer range of techniques applied of The Red in the Sky is Ours.

No more so than Morbid Angel or Monstrosity or Immolation or any other fairly refined death metal band - the real difference was that Death's later releases focus attention on the technical aspects in a way that the better death metal bands never had to do.

Your obsession with defaming Death is bordering on manic. I totally understand your stance against false idols and over-sentimental bullshit associated with the death of Chuck, but Death were a good band in a few of their incarnations, and they did release a couple of great albums. Whether he died of AIDS or in a bizarre gardening incident, Spiritual Healing, Human, and Leprosy still stand up as relevant releases.

And as far as this thread goes, Human is a great recommendation for any lover of technical death metal.

Your obsession with defaming Death is bordering on manic. I totally understand your stance against false idols and over-sentimental bullshit associated with the death of Chuck, but Death were a good band in a few of their incarnations, and they did release a couple of great albums. Whether he died of AIDS or in a bizarre gardening incident, Spiritual Healing, Human, and Leprosy still stand up as relevant releases.

And as far as this thread goes, Human is a great recommendation for any lover of technical death metal.

Scourge, why don't you just tell the truth about why you hate Chuck?

Leaving aside the fact that it's a mediocre release from an artistic standpoint, Human is pretty transparently based in the advanced speed metal of the late 1980s and early 1990s, rather than in death metal. It has far more in common on every level with Coroner, early Anacrusis, Megadeth and the first two Cynic demos.

Leaving aside the fact that it's a mediocre release from an artistic standpoint, Human is pretty transparently based in the advanced speed metal of the late 1980s and early 1990s, rather than in death metal. It has far more in common on every level with Coroner, early Anacrusis, Megadeth and the first two Cynic demos.

Atheist had a very thrash metal sound, and yet you include them in your list of recommended tech-death. Just because Human isn't as straight death metal as the preceding Death albums doesn't mean it isn't a death metal album. I certainly don't find it comparable to Megadeth. Coroner maybe, and the Cynic demos purely because the drummer & guitarist guest on it. The use of double kick, detuned chugged guitars, the vocals, and the production all sound very death metal to me. It isn't the most technical album in the genre, I admit, but there's enough interesting musicianship and decent riffs/ timings going on to at the very least include it as a valid release in the genre, whether you actually like the album or not.

Atrocity's Todessehnsucht also deserves mention. At times, it reminds me of The Red in the Sky is Ours.

Old-school death with technicality > The current tech-death bands, for sure

Yup, just has about everything I love about death metal, executed at a masterful level. Genius slab of work that is among the best of the best for DM, no doubt. I still can't believe the same band would go on to produce techno-crap later on...

Atheist had a very thrash metal sound, and yet you include them in your list of recommended tech-death.

There's very little speed metal in Unquestionable Presence - people hear the relatively thin guitar sound and interpret that as 'speed metal,' but what they're hearing is an artifact of production designed to integrate the bass more fully into the overall sound than more typical death metal production allows. Their actual style and technical approach is rooted firmly in death metal.

Just because Human isn't as straight death metal as the preceding Death albums doesn't mean it isn't a death metal album.

Of course not, what makes it not death metal is its near total embrace of technical speed metal stylings. Only the vocals retain any connection to death metal, and that's just not enough.

Coroner maybe, and the Cynic demos purely because the drummer & guitarist guest on it.

It's pretty obvious that they're responsible for much of the riffing and percussive shading on the album, which is pure early Cynic. The arrangements reek of Schuldiner, who never really understood how to connect complex elements together in a way that translates complexity of detail to complexity of the whole.

The use of double kick

Can you name a single speed metal band that DIDN'T use double bass?

detuned chugged guitars

Something they had in common with Coroner, Kreator, Anacrusis, Slayer, Dark Angel...the list goes on an on.

Status
Not open for further replies.