Technicality or stupidity?

Music serves it´s purpose.
Some genres/bands need to be technical to explain their intentions some don´t. It´s not band´s fault or succes, it´s the fact. You can see it like dis-/advatnage, but as I said, it´s not band´s fault that you don´t like it.
Here is great example: Black metal - BM as a genre is not technical music (I mean classical BM, not post black etc) and its sound is primitive, anyway lot of us like it for freezing feeling and atmosphere.
Power metal includes guitar solos (very technical in some cases) - which I don´t like, but I appreciate those musicians, it´s not genres fault. Anywas power metal is archaic and it´s fault :)

If you dig technical music Jazz is the genre for you.

Fredy_Brown said:
Here is great example: Black metal - BM as a genre is not technical music (I mean classical BM, not post black etc) and its sound is primitive, anyway lot of us like it for freezing feeling and atmosphere.

Agreed. Listen to Steve Vai's - Yai Yai it is very technical I think.

Idunnonuten said:
I just feel that they get all the praise while guys like Karl Sanders are considered monotenous (which is absurd).

While i'll admit the Middle Eastern stuff is well composed, everything else that is Nile is just damn good death metal. You are making more out of Nile's music than there actually is.

To think its absurd that Sanders isnt put in the same league as Vai? Perhaps you should consider studying music properly.

(M)aggoT said:
Agreed. Listen to Steve Vai's - Yai Yai it is very technical I think.

You don't seem to be getting the point.
Steve Vai is extremely talented and exremely technical, but only Vai.
The drummer isn't doing anything special, and the bass player is just grooving.
This means that if you count the entire band, it isn't technical.

Fredy_Brown said:
Music serves it´s purpose.
Some genres/bands need to be technical to explain their intentions some don´t. It´s not band´s fault or succes, it´s the fact. You can see it like dis-/advatnage, but as I said, it´s not band´s fault that you don´t like it.
Power metal includes guitar solos (very technical in some cases) - which I don´t like, but I appreciate those musicians, it´s not genres fault. Anywas power metal is archaic and it´s fault :)

If you dig technical music Jazz is the genre for you.

I agree with you on the black metal and the jazz, but powermetal isn't technical because it has some wankery complex solos.

Devildog11887 said:

I forgot to say that only his guitar line is technical in this song. It is obious that a man like Vai needs good guitarists. I mean that whole band must be skilled not only Vai. What about Yngwie Malmsteen?

Devildog11887 said:
I agree with you on the black metal and the jazz, but powermetal isn't technical because it has some wankery complex solos.
I didn´t say it´s technical music...actually there is no genre that we can label technical, I just said that some power bands has technical wankery solos, that´s all.

(M)aggoT said:
I forgot to say that only his guitar line is technical in this song. It is obious that a man like Vai needs good guitarists. I mean that whole band must be skilled not only Vai. What about Yngwie Malmsteen?

Not neccessarily.
I was watching Vai play some song and the other musicians were just making a simple atmosphere for Vai to solo over. If they are talented, then they definately didn't shot it.
A bass line that goes like

E---0s7------------os7-------------os7-----------os7-

and the guitarist was doing a clean channel, finger picked arpaggio. Nothing special

Someone tried to make the useful distinction between "technical" music and "complex" music some pages back. As per usual for this forum, the attempt at starting an intelligent digression was quickly buried under a tidal wave of stupidity and dick waving.

emperor certainly isn't technical butthe compositions are complex, especially on prometheus, lots of layers on that album.
and to me thats much important than technique cuz the most powerfull instrument is the mind, be able to compose great music.

but i do like some music that people here seem to find masturbatory like necrophagist, i love their riffs and solos, although the solos with the excessive use of sweep arpeggios may sound all the same to some ppl. to each his own.

technique is a tool, nothing more.

EVH316 said:
Listen to Vai's Touching Tongues off Sex & Religion. One of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard ...
I will admit that i am very impressed. I also watched some live performances of all of these guys and noticed that Vai expresses some physical emotion while playing, similar to that of say, Hendrix. The other guys just BORE ME TO DEATH.

I didn't make myself clear enough apparently though i have tried a million times. This is supposed to be about techinical bands. Emperor IS technical in their structure and orchestration. Petrucci just solos over and over (I include Dream Theatre in this because the songs as a whole are just not as complex as alot of other guys). A lot of you are missing the point. Vai is a good giutarist, but not technical in the same sense as BTBAM. I'm trying to say that i have more respect for guys that can more than just solo.

We're confusing technicality (BTBAM, Nile, Emperor) and talent (Vai, Vai,I just don't like Petrucci,and Malbstein). I want to discuss technicality.

Laeth MacLaurie said:
Someone tried to make the useful distinction between "technical" music and "complex" music some pages back. As per usual for this forum, the attempt at starting an intelligent digression was quickly buried under a tidal wave of stupidity and dick waving.
Now that I think about it, i Will take blame for the confusion throughout this thread. My first post didn't make the distinction between what i was trying to say well enough.

Pull The Plug said:
While i'll admit the Middle Eastern stuff is well composed, everything else that is Nile is just damn good death metal. You are making more out of Nile's music than there actually is.

To think its absurd that Sanders isnt put in the same league as Vai? Perhaps you should consider studying music properly.
Read my last couple posts, then rethink what i wrote. Maybe then you'll see what i mean. sorry

Theory in Practice from Sweden are probably the most technical death metal band out there. Their music is insanely technical, but yet great at the same time. I highly recommend them. Go listen to 'The Armageddon Theories' and 'Colonizing the Sun' and you'll see what i mean.

Devildog11887 said:
The drummer isn't doing anything special.

Terry Bozzio isn't doing anything special? :tickled:

Oh dear ...

Devildog11887 said:

have you heard any of his bass players solos? theyre amazing.

Idunnonuten said:
I see what you're saying, but there is still a difference. Regardless of what you want to convince yourself, the majority of Petrucci's solos especially ARE chromatic. I've seen the sheet music. It is easy as hell to hit any fret any call it a solo (Bite of The Mosquito was the song i think) where as piano soloist usually stick to their scales, and either way I find pianio slightly more difficult. Again, though i see what you're saying.

I think it's kind of funny you mentioned that song as he has said that song was inspired by "flight of the bumble bee" by Rimsky Korsokov, which is a piano piece that's almost entirely chromatic. Also, most of petrucci's other stuff isn't chromatic but I don't really feel like going into that...

Vital Remains said:
have you heard any of his bass players solos? theyre amazing.

they might be, but as a whole, the backing musicians just don't play anything crazy.

Like I said, they may be some of the best musicians ever, but when they put a backing track to Vai, it is just an easy warm atmosphere.

I heard Necrophagist today for the first time, and I said "HOLY SHIT! This is fucking technical!"

if you like them, then you would probly like between the buried and me, which is one of the bands that was mentioned at the start of this thread.