Terrorizer Magazine Reunion Review

Dredd74

Aug 23, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
Check out the live review of the reunion show at Nottingham Rock City featured in UK magazine Terrorizer June 2006 issue -

In PR terms, the reunion of the 80's 'classic' 80's Anthrax line-up has been perhaps the most spectacularly mishandled in metal history. All that they've worked for and achieved over the last fifteen years has been wiped out at a stroke, and for what? So that they can become their own tribute band? In his defence, Scott Ian said that former vocalist John Bush was invited to 'take part' in this Las Vegas-style nostalga trip but that Bush "Didn't want to be part of it." That is disingenious to say the least and disregards Bush's self-respect and pride in his time fronting the band. Not confirming, not denying, ruling nothing in, ruling nothing out, Ian's defensive posture and 'can't comment at this stage' attitude betrayed his discomfort with Bush's shabby treatment and the anger it stirred in some fans. Furthermore, in as much as any outsider can do the maths - or hazzard an educated guess - it doesn't look like sacrificing their credibility wil have been worth the money either. In the 1980's, this line-up were playing better shows in bigger audiences. But Anthrax apparently felt that they should be on bills such as Ozzfest, to be 'relevant' to the 'kids' again, but the only way they could do it was to take Sharon's pieces of silver and - oh the irony - become irrelevant in the process. Anthrax 2006 are an obsolete proposition, dragged into the same time warp where Joey Belladonna & Dan Spitz have been living since 1992. In the dash to reinstate the pair, the slagging they got after being ousted first time around has been convieniently forgotten. Despite patchy sound and the fact Belladonna is a liability on stage, the Anthrax retro show goes over well enough, but there can be no going back. Only a storming new studio album can eradicate the stench of blatant opportunism here, and when that moment of truth arrives, they'll be working with a weaker line-up than before.

Damien

Dredd74 said:
Check out the live review of the reunion show at Nottingham Rock City featured in UK magazine Terrorizer June 2006 issue -

In PR terms, the reunion of the 80's 'classic' 80's Anthrax line-up has been perhaps the most spectacularly mishandled in metal history. All that they've worked for and achieved over the last fifteen years has been wiped out at a stroke, and for what? So that they can become their own tribute band? In his defence, Scott Ian said that former vocalist John Bush was invited to 'take part' in this Las Vegas-style nostalga trip but that Bush "Didn't want to be part of it." That is disingenious to say the least and disregards Bush's self-respect and pride in his time fronting the band. Not confirming, not denying, ruling nothing in, ruling nothing out, Ian's defensive posture and 'can't comment at this stage' attitude betrayed his discomfort with Bush's shabby treatment and the anger it stirred in some fans. Furthermore, in as much as any outsider can do the maths - or hazzard an educated guess - it doesn't look like sacrificing their credibility wil have been worth the money either. In the 1980's, this line-up were playing better shows in bigger audiences. But Anthrax apparently felt that they should be on bills such as Ozzfest, to be 'relevant' to the 'kids' again, but the only way they could do it was to take Sharon's pieces of silver and - oh the irony - become irrelevant in the process. Anthrax 2006 are an obsolete proposition, dragged into the same time warp where Joey Belladonna & Dan Spitz have been living since 1992. In the dash to reinstate the pair, the slagging they got after being ousted first time around has been convieniently forgotten. Despite patchy sound and the fact Belladonna is a liability on stage, the Anthrax retro show goes over well enough, but there can be no going back. Only a storming new studio album can eradicate the stench of blatant opportunism here, and when that moment of truth arrives, they'll be working with a weaker line-up than before.

Damien
So true!

But: Dredd, you "stole" my self made John-Bush .gif :Smug:
No problem, for posting that review, you may use it as long as you like. :headbang: :kickass:

Good article, especially the part about the slagging that Joey and Dan got and its now all forgotten. The anger has been stirred in this fan over Bush's treatment as well.

the_walking_dude said:
how the fuck is joey a liability on stage? Thrax were amazing when i saw them live

I'm a bush guy and I don't get it either. maybe they are concerned this giant hair will get caught in something and he will sue Anthrax for workers comp.

whitey131 said:
I'm a bush guy and I don't get it either. maybe they are concerned this giant hair will get caught in something and he will sue Anthrax for workers comp.
Could it be they meant that Joey might fall off the waggon again? Whatever...
Except this little mystery everything else in the review sounds agreeable with me. How can you create a new work of art together with someone who wanted to spit on and burn something you created in the past however controversial it was?

THEBALDGUYFROMBLACKLODGEVIDEO said:
"How can you create a new work of art together with someone who wanted to spit on"
Have you ever had a falling out with someone and make up later? It's tough to do, but not impossible. I think it's great that these guys have found a way to make ammends and work together. Bush fan or Bellodonna fan, it doesn't matter. I loved BOTH lineups.

MikeyBong said:
Have you ever had a falling out with someone and make up later? It's tough to do, but not impossible. I think it's great that these guys have found a way to make ammends and work together. Bush fan or Bellodonna fan, it doesn't matter. I loved BOTH lineups.
Sure I had. In some cases I fell out again after awhile, in others there was no reconciliation whatsoever - but my personal achievements are not the issue here. Nor it could be used as any kind of example for the situation because what we've got here is one fellow musician putting other fellow musicians' work down in extremely rude manner. Yeah, they might make it up, go to each others' birthday parties, but to collaborate on a new project? Hm... I believe it when I see it. Plus, I honestly think that Mr. Spitz (judging by his escapades) has gone completely nuts and is unable to work as a team member. He needs to go solo - something like a clock making pehaps...

whitey131 said:
You should try to make your signature bigger.

sorry but this is the best one i can find on such short notic i will however try to get a much smaller one but one the sig makers hates me at the moment so i wont get a real small sig that i can an enjoy. but im still working on it to make it smaller.

Doesnt anyone think that the band was probably scared to death about this? They knew what they would face and decided to do it any way. They knew reviews like the one above would happen as well. My opinion is that the band just didnt pull enough $ to keep the boat floating. I believe there will be ONE all new release with this line up and that might just be the end of it all. Yeah the way Bush was seperated sucks, yeah the shit talking when Joey was booted sucked (OVER A DECADE AGO) and yeah yeah yeah its probably a last ditch effort to keep sailing. But fuck man... this band has given us a hell of a ride havent they? Given us a shit load of songs that added to the soundtrack of life. For me its full circle. I was pissed at first, same as I was when Joey was gone! But now I am just thankfull that there ever was and still is a little band called ANTHRAX...... Get over it fuckers... crank the shit up and enjoy.

How many new school? How many old school? Howe many dont give a fuck?!?!

didnt put it quotes cause I am sure its not spot on.

ThraxEm said:
Doesnt anyone think that the band was probably scared to death about this? They knew what they would face and decided to do it any way. They knew reviews like the one above would happen as well. My opinion is that the band just didnt pull enough $ to keep the boat floating. I believe there will be ONE all new release with this line up and that might just be the end of it all. Yeah the way Bush was seperated sucks, yeah the shit talking when Joey was booted sucked (OVER A DECADE AGO) and yeah yeah yeah its probably a last ditch effort to keep sailing. But fuck man... this band has given us a hell of a ride havent they? Given us a shit load of songs that added to the soundtrack of life. For me its full circle. I was pissed at first, same as I was when Joey was gone! But now I am just thankfull that there ever was and still is a little band called ANTHRAX...... Get over it fuckers... crank the shit up and enjoy.

How many new school? How many old school? Howe many dont give a fuck?!?!

didnt put it quotes cause I am sure its not spot on.

I didn't want to touch this thread but you :headbang: and I'm :worship: would you like a :kickass: