That "Clayman" sound....

Guys, the info in this thread is awesome!!! I don't even know where to start with my recording gear!!! I'd kill to be able to hear all the clips posted
on the first pages.

Thanks for all this killer info... all i need now is 2 SM57's w/stands and I should be good to start... actually the phasing thing is stressing me out
a little but I'm sure it aint that bad... i hope. :)

Joe

An i5 or two can't hurt. Also, it'll also be handy to try time-shifting the clips back and forth with respect to each other to get the best sound - there was a thread about phasing a while back where I put up a clip demonstrating how fractions of milliseconds could make a world of difference.

Jeff

An i5 or two can't hurt. Also, it'll also be handy to try time-shifting the clips back and forth with respect to each other to get the best sound - there was a thread about phasing a while back where I put up a clip demonstrating how fractions of milliseconds could make a world of difference.

Jeff

I've found time shifting double miked stuff can be more grief than it's worth. Try getting the sound right through the mics to begin with :)

I've found time shifting double miked stuff can be more grief than it's worth. Try getting the sound right through the mics to begin with :)

Oh, certainly, but occasionally you get that nagging feeling that something is a tiny bit off and that's when you throw in the time shifting. Once you're used to it you can narrow things down pretty easily. It's not meant to be anything big, it's just a little tweak at most; 98% of the tone should be coming right out of the mics from the start, and things like time shifting, EQ, and compression should be the last 2% - if even that much.

Jeff

hey all, Pretty much read every page of the this micin' up process and finally had a chance to mic my 5150 up today, was the second time i had tried micing it up. The first time was with a single 57 directly on the cone and didnt sound to good. Anyway Ill post up a link for you all have a listen as soon as I find somewhere to upload my mp3 (anyone got any good site where i can do this?)

Tony

yo, decided to put it on a myspace music page where I edit our profile before putting it on our proper page. yeah so go check it out tell us what you think

http://www.myspace.com/silencedstudios

2nd try at micing the beast up, think i could do better if i had more time and also that track needs a bit more mixing to do as soon as we lay the vocals down.

cheers, Tony

:err: modding mics? i've not heard about this?..

.......explain please:)

Take an SM57, unscrew at the middle 'joint' - you have two parts, the 'shaft' and the 'capsule' (note that I'm not calling it the 'head' because I'm not in the mood for cock jokes), joined now only by two wires. Snip the wires on the capsule end. There's a little screw near the narrow end of the shaft - screwing it in will allow you to remove the XLR plug from the body. That will now be connected to the capsule by two wires - snip those at the plug end. Boil the body (yes, boil in a pot of water) for about ten to fifteen minutes - not in a microwave, as that'll fuck with the transformer, which is somewhat handy to have around - and a bunch of hot glue in the shaft will soften, allowing you to pull out a gunky mess of nonsense that happens to contain the transformer. Remove this, and take two pieces of spare wire and hook the XLR plug back to the capsule, and assemble.

Pictures at some point... really, I'll get to it...

Jeff

Take an SM57, unscrew at the middle 'joint' - you have two parts, the 'shaft' and the 'capsule' (note that I'm not calling it the 'head' because I'm not in the mood for cock jokes), joined now only by two wires. Snip the wires on the capsule end. There's a little screw near the narrow end of the shaft - screwing it in will allow you to remove the XLR plug from the body. That will now be connected to the capsule by two wires - snip those at the plug end. Boil the body (yes, boil in a pot of water) for about ten to fifteen minutes - not in a microwave, as that'll fuck with the transformer, which is somewhat handy to have around - and a bunch of hot glue in the shaft will soften, allowing you to pull out a gunky mess of nonsense that happens to contain the transformer. Remove this, and take two pieces of spare wire and hook the XLR plug back to the capsule, and assemble.

Pictures at some point... really, I'll get to it...

Jeff

Whats does this do for the 57? Sound wise i mean.....

Sorry, no clips, but it does work :)
I tracked some guitar parts on our record, but for the life of me, can't remember what! Most of the guitars were a 57 and a 201 in 90degree angle on 2 speakers.
I've heard some say that you can't get a good sound out of Krank cabs, but I think that's more to do with the engineer than the cab! (Let's not go there, ok? :ill:)
So, I can't see why this won't work with Kranks... :err:

Didn't try it with the Krank head, just the Revolution cab (with ENGL Powerball).

Now, if I remember right, guitars on Status Minor's The Sun -demo was the same head+cab, but with the Fredman technique. Could be wrong, it's been awhile.

Was that a celestion V30's engl cab in his studio, i must have missed it if anyone confirmed?? ... A lot of people prefer the mesa recto cab loaded with v30's (debatably the favuorite cab for "metal").. how would the engl's compare, anyone experience using them.. I wanna use it with a 6505 head.