That "Clayman" sound....

Take an SM57, unscrew at the middle 'joint' - you have two parts, the 'shaft' and the 'capsule' (note that I'm not calling it the 'head' because I'm not in the mood for cock jokes), joined now only by two wires. Snip the wires on the capsule end. There's a little screw near the narrow end of the shaft - screwing it in will allow you to remove the XLR plug from the body. That will now be connected to the capsule by two wires - snip those at the plug end. Boil the body (yes, boil in a pot of water) for about ten to fifteen minutes - not in a microwave, as that'll fuck with the transformer, which is somewhat handy to have around - and a bunch of hot glue in the shaft will soften, allowing you to pull out a gunky mess of nonsense that happens to contain the transformer. Remove this, and take two pieces of spare wire and hook the XLR plug back to the capsule, and assemble.

Pictures at some point... really, I'll get to it...

Jeff

Hey jeff, is there a certain kind of wire that needs to be used when connecting it back up.....or can you use the wire that is already there?

And what wire goes to what connector?

Thanks

Wire is wire... but I'd leave the wire in there on the transformer. The transformer could still be useful and it's hard to solder new wires onto that thing, so just steal a little hookup wire from somewhere else or buy a roll from Radio Shack... you'll thank yourself if you ever need something goofy like that, you really never know. Hell, you could even just put it in a little patch cable so that you can put it back to 'normal' by plugging that cable in, no telling what you might want to do.

As for what wire goes where... never got a definitive answer myself, there are two connectors on each side so flip a coin. If it sounds funny next to another one, just flip the phase button. As usual, my screen names are in the profile so while I'm not going to be able to stick around tonight you can probably catch me sometime in the next couple of days.

Jeff

So i did it, but now the 57 is completely out of phase with my R-121..... Does that mean i wired it wrong? If i wire it the other way, will it be inphase with the R121? Cause it was before i modded it.

I can tell right now that you haven't spent enough time twiddling things. This will take a long fucking time to take right, and I don't even know if the R121 is suited for this stuff.

If nothing else changed, though, then wiring it the other way will make things 'right' again.

Jeff

Holy shit does it ever - not to nitpick, but did you use the two 57's trick, or just one? Not like it matters anyway, cuz it fucking cooks...

See this thread for the answers to all (or most of) your questions...

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...an-made-god-little-cover-fiddy-wan-fiddy.html

Oh, and dude, that does indeed rock. I feel like the essence of the Colony/Clayman sound is the Engl cab, not the mic configuration... I think using 2 mics just smooths out the top end a bit. As you have demonstrated, you can get nearly the exact sound with just one mic.

See this thread for the answers to all (or most of) your questions...

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...an-made-god-little-cover-fiddy-wan-fiddy.html

Oh, and dude, that does indeed rock. I feel like the essence of the Colony/Clayman sound is the Engl cab, not the mic configuration... I think using 2 mics just smooths out the top end a bit. As you have demonstrated, you can get nearly the exact sound with just one mic.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/374503-anybody-got-engl-v30-impulses.html

Thats inspired me to hope for some impulses lol. It would amuse me a little if this had more to do with it than the massive clayman threads dual micing extravaganza

WOW! This is my first post after MANY reading of this amazing forum but after hearing the recording from Poidaobi I just HAD to start posting and asking questrons!

First of all that was AMAZING and sounds freaking brilliant, I really want to get that sort of tone with my recordings. Currently I have a 6505, Marshall 1960cab with G13-75's and a JTS NX-7 mic and a Tube Mic-pre

How can I achieve that tone????
Some help would be great! Also the verb on the guitars sounds beautiful, any tips?

Thanks a lot guys!

EX 351 (EMG 81) --->5150EVH (Stock Tubes hahahah from '92) ;)---->ENGL V30's -->Single Shure SM57--->Lexicon Omega.

Red Channel
(5) (7) (2) (7) (1.2) -- (7) (5)

Mic = Placed with the Dust Cap meets the cone. 1cm away.

4 Tracks at 100 and I think 60 or 70 L/R

Post processing = Hi/Low pass at 60hz,12khz. No boosts or cuts.

And that's it!

wow man, once again that's great! You live in Melbourne do you? Me too! Everytime I go to record everything just seems too muffled, maybe the g12 speakers and the mic??? I think I'm going to get myself a SM57, seems to be the way to go.
Any advice would be awesome guys :)
Basically it's that the sound I get is not as bright open and beefy as any of you guys, mines always as if it's covered by a blanket?

Well I have an Alto Tube pre. Micing the top speaker of a slant cab straight on, which is actually NOT straight on which I just realised due to the ANGLED cab..
Apart from that it is basically just on the edge of the cone with some of the dust cap as well *in between*
And as for 2 sm57's, well to be honest a tone like Poidaobi's is spot on and he used 1 XD

Cheers

I said two because we're in the Clayman thread, referring to that album as 'this'... nevermind.

As for the positioning, try a little more dustcap and maybe changing the angle a bit... best way to find this stuff out if you don't have an 'assistant' would be to set a guitar loop, hit record, and spend a few minutes sweeping slowly, then moving over half an inch and sweeping slowly again, and so on... hopefully when you get back and listen you'll remember approximately where you were and what you were doing.

Jeff

Sorry J I just meant that with this sorta tone the 2 mic method may not even be neccessary *Poidabi's clip*, thanks for the advice though much apreciated.

Do you think that the Alto Pre and the JTS mic are causing me some of the issues I describe????

Thanks

Great tone poidaobi!!!!Sound so smooth,like candy for my ears.:worship:

How the hell you guys get that sound so smooth?

I´m trying mic'd my cab also,but it sounds crabby to my ears.So,could you post clip where is just one guitar played?
I would like to hear how far i'm from that kinda tone.

Keep up that good work ewerybody,this is killer forum.