That "Clayman" sound....

Hi guys. I was just listening to Swedish heavy/thrash/death metallers Gardenian "Soulburner" album and you shoudl check it out because it's very close to Clayman in terms of production (i think it was around the same period and with sameproducer/studio/etc) and music genre. I think the production is even better on the Gardenian album, especially the guitars that are almost perfect. And god i dig those sexy female clean vocals on some parts (don't worry the singing is mainly some guy doing awesome growls and death metal singing).

The "2 feet stand" and "Sindustries" album are definitely worth to check also.

Hi guys. I was just listening to Swedish heavy/thrash/death metallers Gardenian "Soulburner" album and you shoudl check it out because it's very close to Clayman in terms of production (i think it was around the same period and with sameproducer/studio/etc) and music genre. I think the production is even better on the Gardenian album, especially the guitars that are almost perfect. And god i dig those sexy female clean vocals on some parts (don't worry the singing is mainly some guy doing awesome growls and death metal singing).

The "2 feet stand" and "Sindustries" album are definitely worth to check also.

Gardenian kicked ass.

pfff that's nice! Though rammerster didnt double track the lines now did he? on the intro in each case. Listening through really crappy laptop speakers here, but both sounds are really sucky in the same way so that's a nice job! :p

hi all... another noob here. found this site for the first time yesterday and was trippin' because i was just getting back into "Come Clarity" and "Reroute to Remain" this week. And i must say, going thru all 18 pages of posts was well worth it! i've learned so much already from just this thread. cant wait to dig into more on this site. but just wanted to say thanks, i've already got alot to digest.

JT

I'll put this here for anyone interested.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6964229

yeah mate this is a great tone, well a tone true to the original, have you esact settings/gear used..

im still gnna say, and stick by it, that i really dont dig the clayman production at all, the album has never stood out for me one bit compared to reroute. oh well just an opinion :)

Eh, I do really like the overall production, but while I suppose I'll concede the guitar tone fits, it's nothing I would EVER want for my own stuff

After coming back and listening to Clayman and Sweet Vengeance I've come to terms that, as well as being Nordstrom's best work, these albums are also the two best sounding metal albums I've ever heard. The drums have plenty of natural, acoustic vibe, the guitars sit the best, and SV to boot has THE best sounding rhythm guitars of any metal album I've ever heard. Not to mention the bass on both albums is huge and fat at the same time. It's made me realize that I need to go the hybrid analogue/digital route for my workflow in order to get the sweetest tones possible. I'm sick of the sterile all-ITB metal stuff. It's absolutely vibeless to me.

Great thread! I'm stoked that it's still going.

Another amazing thread.. thanks everyone! I just read EVERY single post in these 19 pages and it was WAY over 90% of the "funny nose" clinics you might ever drop in.

I am going to pick up my 57s tomorrow and use this technique on a project that might really be suited for it.

I am getting on tour with you for free now, selling myself just to pay this immense knowledge brain-upload!

UPDATE: Here I am back, back with a new pair of 57s! And while I was there I grabbed a used Beta 52, too. Friday is going to be my day: I'll try this micing technique out for good!

ok here's the deal..
i am a complete noob and had a really hard time trying to understand what you guys are saying.
still i got some usefull info but it is too messed up in my head.
i want to make a home studio and am in the process of learning what to buy and how to use.
basicaly i am probably going for a mixerless "everything digital" aproach where i am only going to record guitars and vocals and use midi and soft synths for the rest.
although i understand that i should learn a lot more before reading and posting here i can't help it rushing in to this and the reason is this: "I WOULD SELL MY FAMILLY TO HAVE A GUITAR SOUND LIKE THE ONE ON CLAYMAN"
so what i want to ask anyone kind and patient enough to make it really simple for me to follow is: "if you could buy your equipment from the start what amp,mic,e.t.c would you use and how would you set it up?"
i am not going to spend 4000$ on an amp but i am willing to spend a decent amount on the guitar equipment as it is the most important part of the sound for me.
great thanks to anyone kind enough to answer and congrats on the thread.:worship:

1 X 5150
1 X 4X12 V30 Cabinet (ENGL Pro to be specific to Clayman)
2 X SM57
1 X Half Decent Mic Preamps
1 X Tight Guitar Player
4 X Rhythm Tracks
1 X Awesome Bass Track

Less than $2000 US (not sure I live in Owwstraya!)