That "Clayman" sound....

1 X 5150
1 X 4X12 V30 Cabinet (ENGL Pro to be specific to Clayman)
2 X SM57
1 X Half Decent Mic Preamps
1 X Tight Guitar Player
4 X Rhythm Tracks
1 X Awesome Bass Track

Less than $2000 US (not sure I live in Owwstraya!)

when you say 1x5150 you mean the amp head right?
there is a 5150/II model too and i also saw a "combo" package..
which one do you mean?

also if you care enough to take a look here is the audio interface i'm thinking of buying. It seems to have preety good mic preamps.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PRSFIREBOX

finally those 4 rhythm tracks how are they supposed to be paned?
2 on each side or what?
thanks for the responce man it helped a lot to get me out of complete confusion and put me on a track .

Yup, Firebox would have you set
With the 4 rhythm tracks, pan them L100, L80, R100, R80
Original 5150 (or 6505, they're identical) head, not 5150II/6505+ or combo

by the way a friend of mine owns a marshall jcm2000 dsl 401 which i've used on a few gigs..
i haven't had enough time to really mess with that thing but as far as i can understand this is an amp made for ac/dc hard rock type of sound. When you crank the volume it gets a lot better but still..
do you guys think we could modify it someway to get closer to the kind of sound i'm looking for?
At least untill i can get my hands on a 1550/6505..

this is a really old thread, and i don`t remember if this has said before, but I think the guitar sound on clayman has alot to do with the darkness of the mix, and the other elements. I love claymans production! everything is so dark sounding, especially the cymbals! in most mixes the tone wouldnt work.
(atg comes to mind)
I think that it would be impossible to get "that" tone without the mix that surrounds it. the attempts on this thread are close, but the overall production of the clips is too bright to come close to that dark place that clayman takes me!

hats off to fredman for creating this awesome mix. even if there is too much master bus compression ;)

OK new question..

by now i can tell that i am 100% sure about getting a 5150/6505 (i checked a few reviews and saw some youtube videos. It sounds amazing)

but i have no idea what goes on with the cabinets..
what is a v30, a greenbuck, JJ's??:loco:

poidaobi that engl pro looks amazing but it is kinda expensive.
i am not saying it is too expensive and if it was used on clayman that is a definite + but i want to be able to understand what is the difference from say a Marshall 1960AV or an even cheaper cab to feel good with such an expence..

again many thanks.
these are the type of decisions you need to have the knowledge to make but pretty much need to make them before you gain that knowledge..
you guys are making my life a lot easier!:worship:

And that almost all of those recordings were with a Mesa Rectifier Standard cab! (except for Clayman, obviously, but Nordstrom is the exception IMO)

This thread has really pushed me to work on my guitar tone as much as possible and I'm glad to say it's paying off XD

I just got a bunch of new gear as well thank god so I'll post some '5150' material up as soon as possible :)

Ok, this may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's really close to the in flames sound on stuff like Cloud Connected.

I'm using Sonar 8 Producer.

I set 2 audio tracks for 2 rhythm parts - one panned 100% left, the other 100% right. I record the one rhythm track 2 times, one for each panned track. If you just record once, and copy and paste the same waveform over both tracks, you lose the fullness.

Then, I add 2 more tracks for rhythm, both panned 100% left and 100% right. I then copy track 1 to track 3, and track 2 to track 4. This makes the sound much thicker. You'll understand momentarily why I quadruple the tracks.

For the mic placement: Tracks 1 and 2 are both close mic'd with SM57 placed in the center of the speaker. Tracks 3 and 4 are modified using guitar rig. The guitar rig configuration on these 2 tracks is as follows:

4x12 ultrasonic cab, dynamic 412b mic, bass full, treble at +7.5DB, air 0, distance 0 (this distance does not affect where the mic position is set, but affects other qualities of the sound).

For the leads, I have 2 other separate tracks - if there's no harmony, only 1 track will be used. For harmonies, both tracks are used, panned left 100% and right 100% respectively. I then close mic with a Shure PG48 - this mic gives me the warm lead tone I am looking for.

Hope this helps you experiment.

I'm actually fond of the Come Clarity tone. It's full of attack, but it doesn't come out harsh. Does anyone know what amps/mic placement was used for that album?

I'd imagine a 5150 was part of it all, but I dunno the specifics - I'd love to find out though, I really dig that tone too!

I'd imagine a 5150 was part of it all, but I dunno the specifics - I'd love to find out though, I really dig that tone too!

The whole album itself is pretty full of treble, listen to that bass! The only thing I liked about never In Flames was the crazy distorted bass tone, but they've even now got rid of that. :mad: