That "Clayman" sound....

My first post, I've been reading through this thread for a bit now and as a noob I'd like to say how amazingly awesome reading its made, I'm recording with my band this weekend and I'm definately going to be giving this technique a go!! were on quite a tight budget and have 2 days to track the guitars, 3 songs, I cant wait to experiment with this, I'm so glad I found such a useful forum, fooking mint :headbang:

Well, finally got my ENGL cab, & here's my take on the Fredman technique....

CLIP HERE

4792_124618476080_640581080_3207997_6858929_n.jpg

Bear in mind I spent absolutely no time at all on the drums, they're merely a placeholder "slate kontakt preset."

What I really like is there is nearly zero eq on this tone. Just a hi & lopass, and a little mulitband in the mud zone.... other than that, it's all amp.

Well, finally got my ENGL cab, & here's my take on the Fredman technique....

CLIP HERE

4792_124618476080_640581080_3207997_6858929_n.jpg

Bear in mind I spent absolutely no time at all on the drums, they're merely a placeholder "slate kontakt preset."

What I really like is there is nearly zero eq on this tone. Just a hi & lopass, and a little mulitband in the mud zone.... other than that, it's all amp.

Sounds pretty chunky. What was your process/method of blending the two together. I'm curious as to how different people go about doing their own "blends" of two mics on a cab.

The off axis mic is 8db's lower than the on axis. That's about it. Generally I'll set the on-axis mic to a good level & bring in the second mic and turn it up till it sounds good.

The off axis mic is 8db's lower than the on axis. That's about it. Generally I'll set the on-axis mic to a good level & bring in the second mic and turn it up till it sounds good.

Cool. Sounds like a pretty simple process. Did you just pan the guitars hard left and right?

Yes.
The real trick is getting the mics on the speaker's sweet spot. That shit can take forever.

I figured it was more than just getting the phase right and putting it in front of the speaker and edge. Do you dig multiple mics most of the time or do you just mess around and see what feels right for the music.
Too many options can sometimes get to be a bit much I'm sure.