That "Clayman" sound....

Sorry J I just meant that with this sorta tone the 2 mic method may not even be neccessary *Poidabi's clip*, thanks for the advice though much apreciated.

Do you think that the Alto Pre and the JTS mic are causing me some of the issues I describe????

Thanks

The reference to 2 SM57s is there because that's what was used on the In Flames stuff. You certainly don't need two to pull a good tone, but in order to pull *that* kind of tone more authentically, they certainly go a long way. The phase relationship between the two mics serves to sort of smooth out the tone on the top end and create a more prominent, thicker (but muddier) midrange.

Your first issue could be the way you're dialing the amp, and I'd say the microphone likely isn't doing you any favours either. Grab that SM57 and see how you go from there. If you need any help, just call me over sometime and we'll mess around a bit with it. If you need to get in touch you can prolly do it via Joao.

Good luck.

Thanks Ermz, I'd hate to impose but if there is some free time up your sleeve I'd really appreciate it if you came over and gave me a hand, your guidance would be VERY much appreciated dude! Your stuff blows me away XD
Speaking of Joao, I better finish the mixes of these new songs from the band hahaha!

Well if you guys are rehearsing or jamming anytime soon, get Joao to gimme a call maybe about the times and I'll tag along and see what we can do. I'm very curious to hear the Bugera... and also to try out one of the JSX clones at a store, at some stage.

Well dude, apart from tomorrow, we basically get together on mondays :)
If you're up for it, monday after morrow will be band prac and maybe u can pop over, give me a hand with some stuff then we can go check out the 333 bugera :)
XD

Well its the ANALOGUE OD in the Boss gx-700 i think it is
Which is I BELIEVE based on the OD-1 OR Ts-9
Not sure which but it does the job XD
I know it's not very specific but I'm going with what I have XD

I just have an objection to people referring to overdrive pedals like the SD-1 as 'clean boosts'... when they aren't clean. At all. It makes discussions more complicated and misses the point of a TS-type boost altogether.

Jeff

Nah I get you dude :)
I just went with what I knew about effect so yeh :p
But that's how I recorded it :) Hope you guys thought it was alright :)

I just have an objection to people referring to overdrive pedals like the SD-1 as 'clean boosts'... when they aren't clean. At all. It makes discussions more complicated and misses the point of a TS-type boost altogether.

Jeff

I agree... for me the whole boost discussion is a mess.

More importantly, seeing as how we use TS's as essentially an EQ effect rather than any kind of gain boost, even calling it a boost at all (even if you leave out the "clean") was certainly misleading to me until I read this thread, and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Okay... criteria for clean boost are:

(1) Increase in gain level
(2) Minimal coloration of sound

'Minimal coloration of sound' excludes boxes like the TS, distortion pedals, treble boosters, and any other things that distort or have more than a slight amount of 'accidental' boosts or cuts. 'Increase in gain level excludes boxes that do not significantly boost the level, such as compressors (the way they are typically used, at least in my experience) and, again, the TS.

It is not clean. It is not used solely as a boost. Stop calling it a clean boost.

Jeff

FAQ!

Long story short, there's also some very tasty compression and a bit of 'grit' that actually sounds better in front of the amp than a higher gain setting would.

Jeff

They used 5150, Marshall Valvestate and a Laney. Fredrik himslef told me. He also told me that they couldnt here the difference between the amps in the end.
Cheers

Hahaha, holy shit, on Clayman? Are you serious? :p

What channel was the 5150 on, did he say? And do you know what his pre tubes of choice are?

Haha Good news Crille
tongue.gif

Have to test my old Valvestate with impulses now...

http://vicious.smyr.net/zombieinc.mp3

There we go

Hey guys, it's been a while
Here's a NEW clip

Behringer TO-800 ---> Bugera 6260 ---> Marshall 1960A ---> Shure sm57

Cuts at 700, boost at 3.5 - 5, cut at <---80hz and 12kz--->

soundclick.com/chrisrecordings
Shure sm57 TEST

This mic is just WOW! I love it XD

BTW It's the Anthems if Rebellion tone I was going for :)