That "Clayman" sound....

Has anyone found the settings or speaker used to record Clayman? I've beenlistening to that lately... goddamn that's good tone.

When I get my new Laptop and interface, I'll be trying this out with my 57 and 58 until I snag another 57 or i5.

Black neon bob said:
got clips?

I will, yes. I have a 5:30 song that I finished about a month ago, but it was sporting just a single SM57 and a G12T75 speaker. I'm not too happy with that tone.

I have a song now that is with the dual SM57s and an Eminence/VHT P50E speaker in my VHT 412. I'm just now finishing tracking the song and then I'll mix it and master it.

I posted the last song on this site and got no responses...it's sort of like Tool meets Mastodon/High on Fire/The Sword...so I doubt this one will be worth posting either, but I may take a chunk out of it just for the sake of clips.

If you're interested in what my tone sounds like before the dual mic'ing, try www.myspace.com/ascensionof ...ignore the crapping mixing though. Is ANY engineer ever REALLY happy with their mixes?...haha!

Hey guys,

I recently recorded a thrash-death metal band, and used the Fredman's technique, and it worked great !
Listen to a quick drums/vocals premix :
http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/Kwato.wav

The amp was a Randall Warhead with a Warhead cab, I used both the graphic and parametric EQ on the amp to get the right sound. The Warhead also has an amazing knob : "medium sweep", you must try it ;)

One 57 (the one straight in front of the cab) gave a clear and clean sound, and the other mic sounded more dirty, and added a cool thing to the guitar sound. Let me know what you think.

miche said:
the waveform is really nice. doesn't look like a hard limiter. what did you use for mastering? any limiter or compressor?

I did use Waves L2, actually... I tried to avoid audible artifacts while getting it fairly loud, but it's always a tricky game when messing around with a limiter like that.

Disconnekt: Could I by any chance persuade you to post your eq and C4 settings? I know I can't use them as my sound is different - but I'm interested in seeing where the problem areas are and what you've done to eliminate them. I just heard your clip about a hundred times... great stuff... I'm completely brainwashed by now... :headbang:

Sly said:
Hey guys,

I recently recorded a thrash-death metal band, and used the Fredman's technique, and it worked great !
Listen to a quick drums/vocals premix :
http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/Kwato.wav

The amp was a Randall Warhead with a Warhead cab, I used both the graphic and parametric EQ on the amp to get the right sound. The Warhead also has an amazing knob : "medium sweep", you must try it ;)

One 57 (the one straight in front of the cab) gave a clear and clean sound, and the other mic sounded more dirty, and added a cool thing to the guitar sound. Let me know what you think.

hi man,

I liked alot of the drums, very nice! I thought the guitars a bit muddy!

cheers