The "Are These Guys Any Good" Thread

J. said:
yikes, semi-catchy chees. Finntroll do it better.

Korpiklaani are different enough from Finntroll. They have some great parts on their first album, but it's kind of monotonous. "Wooden Pints" is an awesome drinking song!

JayKeeley said:
Vrbkrt
Hjutitty
Volkenwolf
MoonWhore
Aeiou
Nigubian
Jewcifer
Crakkker
*bong*
No, THIS is the best post evAr! :tickled:

Seriously, whenever you fuckerz start talking about black/pagan/heathen/whatever I get so lost that I have ZERO clue about what the hell is going on. I don't know how anyone can remember all these band names, even the members themselves have to check their own CD case to get the spelling right.

Nigubian is my favorite. You should patent Crakkker though, before those Arghoshit dudes start a side project.

I think the best is a real name though! Garmenhord. WTF GARMENHORD?!?!

tehwin.gif

J. said:
Heol Telwen

Heol Telwen are some nice folky celtic black metal. Back a few months ago Marksveld and I were trying to get ahold of some of their "Mor Braz" demo for sale on AWR but for some reason they stopped talking to us and that never happened. You can get some samples here: http://heoltelwen.acrocyanose.com/disco.htm

hmmm, it seems that they have a new album coming out this year too. Interesting. I'll have to look out for it.

Dusk (US)
Eyes of Ligeia
Norrt

Also, I'm looking for bands that are similar to Disembowelment. I already know of Evoken.

Erik said:
I think you answered your own question there :p

Dusk are actually really good. They never go into grind mode like diSEMBOWELMENT, but the general feel and atmosphere is very much akin to diS and Evoken.

Ah, I have come across some reviews and threads on various metal boards that mentioned a comparison of this band to Disembowelment.

Also try the superb demo band Indesinence from the UK, awesome Evoken-style deathdoom that like diS goes into higher tempos sometimes.

I downloaded sample from their demo a while ago and it sounded excellent.

Rosetta is being praised in some circles as a 2.0 version of Isis' Panopticon with enhanced vocals.
While the vocals are indeed better than Aaron's I find their music boring as can be.

I found The Galilean Satellites to be far too temperate. Good enough to enjoy in the background, but not engaging enough for serious listening. Rosetta is a bargain bin pick up, save your dough. (Have they since changed?)

As D00Mcifer said, both bands rule, but ACRIMONY rule MORE. "Tumuli Shroomaroom" (or how is that shit spelled) is a fuckin MASTERPIECE of HEAVY ROCK/METAL. But i disagree with the bands that Doomcifer mentioned to be similar with them, because Acrimony are a lot HEAVIER, they remind more of a more psychedelic (in terms of some atmospheric moments) Cathedral for example. Oh and they are very HEAVY. They are HEAVY. VERY HEAVY. THEIR RIFFS RULE.

This fucking rips like a bong attached to Emmy Rossum's arsehole!!!!!! :Smokin::Smokin: