The "are these guys any good?" thread

Demonspell said:
BWD: For Rapture, I could rewrite the first sentence by substituting their name and "BMD-era Katatonia". And again, the most recent album shows signs of grwoing beyond the obvious influences.
from what i hear, you are absolutely right... although i hear some novembre-type "rolling passages" with mid-paced drumming and guitar harmonies (which katatonia did not integrate much on BMD, a doomier sound than i hear here)

I haven't heard the Emperor/Thorns split, but I used to have the self-titled Thorns album released in 2000 I think, and it blew ass.

Erik, yeah I know what you mean, but origin really doesn't matter these days. Just look at US black metal for verification. THe two samples I listened to on the Nydvind site were most excellent, especially the shorter track.

Demonspell said:
Anekdoten is very similar to Wetton-era Crimson at times to the point where clone accusations are used...like that's a bad thing. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif I wouldn't call them derivative, especially on their most recent release.
*soils self with no less than 3 distinct bodily fluids*

Thanks much, definitely a must purchase! :)

JayKeeley said:
Where is the original "Ærie Descent" found though? Only on that rare demo tape you have? Damn - any chance you can make me an MP3 of the original?
Yes. Yes. I don't have the actual tape though; the limited version of Emperor vs. Thorns came with a second CD that contains the Grymyrk and Trondertun rehearsals.

Black Winter Day said:
i'm also always wondered about this CD:TEH IMAGE
It's great and it ain't as much like Katatonia as some say. It's one of the best releases of 2002 definitely and blah blah, just buy it already.

Jormundgand by Helheim is absolutely fantastic. It's probably one of my favourie BM albums. I only got it this year too. I really love it though.

I bought Jormundgand along with the demo tape only this year too. Both that and Maiastru Sfetnic have been my most played BM in recent months.

I know I make wonderful recommendations. (NAD, like ADKoS?) So now, I hereby advise anyone who likes "Jormundgand" to check out "Av Norrøn Ætt" also, because it's muchly in the same style but a bit more epic and melodic with long songs, less of the hysterical screaming and more clean & female vocals. But mostly regular BM growls. Either way, it's nearly as good as "Jormundgand" -- Sorath thinks it's better but then again he's not very clever.

Tiamat - ADKOS hasn't shown up yet, but I've been giving much attention to Wildhoney in preparation though. :)

Maiastru Sfetnic arrived the other day, I can imagine listening to this for hours on end, that is if I can get away from 'N Crugu Bradului long enough to do so...

NAD said:
I don't know either of those bands, but I have two I'd like to know about. /forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Anekdoten
Anglagard

I always see these two associated, and have read comparisons to King Crimson, so obviously I'm intrigued.
Anekdoten are one of the best progressive rock bands I've ever heard. Their first 2 CDs have a significant 70s King Crimson sound (think Larks Tongues or Red) but still had their own sound. After that they evolved into their own entity. I love all 4 of their CDs, and everyone I've played the newer ones for has enjoyed them (vocals are a weak point on the older ones, which is ironically what is wrong with the 70s Crimson stuff, too). I'd suggest getting Vemod for the Crimson-esque stuff and Gravity to hear their newer style, then get Nucleus and From Within to finish 'em off.

I've never heard Anglagard, but if they are mentioned together with Anekdoten, I'll check 'em out.

jimbobhickville said:
(vocals are a weak point on the older ones, which is ironically what is wrong with the 70s Crimson stuff, too)
No way! Wetton was their best vocalist! :D

I'm definitely picking up some Anekdoten next shopping spree.

Erik said:
I know I make wonderful recommendations. (NAD, like ADKoS?) So now, I hereby advise anyone who likes "Jormundgand" to check out "Av Norrøn Ætt" also, because it's muchly in the same style but a bit more epic and melodic with long songs, less of the hysterical screaming and more clean & female vocals. But mostly regular BM growls. Either way, it's nearly as good as "Jormundgand" -- Sorath thinks it's better but then again he's not very clever.

Just get both, all of you. I like both albums but I don't find Helheim THAT special really even if they're good and possibly great. Can't say why, though.

Also, JeyKeeley, I think it's nice that you think I've got every single Mayhem release and bootleg, but (unfortunately) I don't. I think I'll have to get those two studio recordings with Dead somehow, though, after that I'll be satisfied I think. Possibly Live in Leipzig also, but Out From The Dark if probably better than that one anyways.

Sorath said:
Just get both, all of you. I like both albums but I don't find Helheim THAT special really even if they're good and possibly great. Can't say why, though.
As I said, because you're not too clever. Helheim pwnz you, especially Jormundgand. Listen to it more already.

Sorath said:
I think I'll have to get those two studio recordings with Dead somehow, though, after that I'll be satisfied I think. Possibly Live in Leipzig also, but Out From The Dark if probably better than that one anyways.
"Out from the Dark" - is that the one with the picture of Dead with his brains blown out on the front cover? That must be a real rarity and worth a few $$, right?