THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
They aren't innovators. It's that simple. While some of the Jazz artists are still pushing the envelope, SX and DT (Portnoy even admits it in several interviews) were never original. Neither invented prog metal and neither is its' best shining example. Bands like Fates Warning beat them to the punch, and there's a lot of bands that are out there making more experimental (progressive) music than either band. Not saying either one is bad, but you can't compare them to the mastery of Bach or Mozart or Beethoven.

Fates Warning, nor Queensryche, nor say Helloween took music to the intense level of key sig or timing sig or indepth runs and scaler/mode abuse that Dream Theater did. Nor did those bands exihibit the overall mood swings within a piece that paint such a musical picture. And yes I can compare their mastery to that of the Classics because there is little doubt in my mind that Mozart would not roll over but rather buy a front row ticket and stand there with his jaw hanging and head bouncin .......... Mozart ----> :headbang:

:lol:

So whos more experimental, Im looking for something new, all the time, just usually let down. Please dont steer me to some band that has a pissed of rabid dog "singin" I guess thats called "numetal" where they use old rehashed more repetitive Hetfield, Mustaine or Petrucci riffs.

Oh lord no, I would steer you towards the amazing bands known as Scar Symmetry, Agalloch, Opeth, Moonsorrow, Swallow The Sun...

Trust me, even if you hate all these, there are so many more out there that dwarf DT and SX. But not even these can be compared to the masters of baroque and classical music.

Oh lord no, I would steer you towards the amazing bands known as Scar Symmetry, Agalloch, Opeth, Moonsorrow, Swallow The Sun...

Trust me, even if you hate all these, there are so many more out there that dwarf DT and SX. But not even these can be compared to the masters of baroque and classical music.

Too true.

sherbet.jpg

Naked guys w/soap suds...Dan Swano is in there somewhere gauranteed.

Ive listened to alot of Opeth, never heard the others though. But take Opeth for example, very interesting manor of song writing, Black Water Park blew me away but its no where near the indepth level of musical mastery of DT and SX.

Im suspecting your leaning more toward the fact that DT & SX are now old school, not that I like that term at all but its a fact that DT is now somewhere around 19+ years old and Sym X 13+ so their early influences and music shows that. I suppose the Classics have been old school now since jazz took off in the early 1900's and people stopped thinking that all music was and could be was what they sang from on Sundays in their hymnals.

We've come along ways and in '88 when Petrucci, Moore, Myung and Portnoy threw together a little piece called Ytse Jam they upped the bar quite high.

It wasn't a challenge to fight.

DoomsdayZach said:
Furthermore, i'm glad you can make such accusations comfortably knowing we will never meet and you will never have to answer to them. Big man

Son...where l come from down South, that's a "call out"...you will get you ass smacked for it. Back peddle all you want, but l will warn you...you get in a Southern state & start that kind of mouthing and you better be ready. Maybe this is your lesson in "Southern hospitality". We are openly nice to everybody...open doors for ladies, will give our last dollar to you if you're in need. But, if we suspect a challenge...it's on.

DoomsdayZach said:
Final point: i'm willing to bet that if i were to ever meet you, you would probably be a fairly decent person. People are a lot different on the internet than they are in "real life". I'm a bit more of an asshole here, maybe i do pick fights, but it is really just an exaggerated form of myself. I'm opinionated, and i don't fold to anyone just because theirs is different from mine. In fact, the people who i respect most are those who have a difference in opinion (case and point, the dude who i argued with about power metal at a show on friday... love that dude now because he has a strong opinion as well and stands by it). I will never take back anything i say just because someone else doesn't like it, and could give two shits about whether or not anyone has a problem with it. Don't care, don't care, don't care. Well, i care enoguh to make this epic post... :lol:

l'm sure you are a decent guy...just as l am. l am also opinionated and stand strongly on them. But, l do my best not to use juvenile remarks to downgrade a band or anybody elses opinion. l have engaged in it but only after being confronted with it. l on the other hand don't pick fights. But, l don't back down from what l think either and anybody that has issues with it can KMA...doesn't phase me either way.

l'm glad we had this chat. :lol:

Son...where l come from down South, that's a "call out"...you will get you ass smacked for it. Back peddle all you want, but l will warn you...you get in a Southern state & start that kind of mouthing and you better be ready. Maybe this is your lesson in "Southern hospitality". We are openly nice to everybody...open doors for ladies, will give our last dollar to you if you're in need. But, if we suspect a challenge...it's on.

*looks at post*

*looks at jax*

*looks back at post*

*looks at jax*

*sighs* I'll be good.

:OMG: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously... there's nothing I can add to this.

hahaha seriously "son", if you're still in europe, I'll gladly wait for you in Athens, Greece if you're in need of some swimming in the sea and a nice tan. I'll make sure you have a great time.

No Exit - '87
When Dream and Day Unite - '88
Awaken the Guardian - no comparision

I listen to my Alder Fates regulary with my DT & SX and Matheos approach is considerably different and without all the wizardry or as they say musical masterbation. Then Fates was origionally accused of being Maiden rips offs which they too disproved.

When I listen to I&W or Awake or any of the others I just dont hear a correlation to Awaken the Guardian other than they are aggressive progressive outside the box approach. I dont think Fates ever did anything resembling Yse Jam or adversely ... Metropolis.

Honestly as I said somewhere before when I first heard Images and Words I was reminded of a Rush, meets ELP, meets Kansas, meets Yes, meets Crack the Sky, meets Dregs, meets the 90's, only it was on such a higher level, more closely resembling the composition approach and mastery of scales and modes of the ....... classical composers.

If Images and Words was not ground breaking Ill set my guitar down ....... for a day ......

You see, my point wasn't that Fates Warning is better than Dream Theater (though some of their albums are, in my opinion), but that they were first. Dream Theater members even admit it, and in several interviews list off who they feel were the real innovators of prog metal. Fates is one of the bands listed. Essentially I'm just saying that DT isn't groundbreaking. They had some great albums (I&W is one of them) but they are nowhere near the people you are comparing them to. Neither are Fates Warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.