THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

progmetaldan

Nov 25, 2006
South Australia
www.myspace.com
Seeing as that everyone has such strong opinions on just about every aspect of the band, as well as the fact that they also have a new album coming out, I though we could try to contain all the Dream Theater discussion, arguments and updates in the one thread... So any updates on the new album, or if you want to put foward your opinions on the band, keep it in this thread, and if anyone is sick of all the arguing, or just don't care, they can just steer clear of this particular thread, should keep everyone happy... :D

Oh well, I think it will be ok.

I'm pretty pumped about the fact that they have another 25 minute epic in the works... If they can top Octavarium, this could probably be their greatest song ever... Hopefully with a few more longer instrumental sections, but not quite as long to get going at the start...

:lol: thanks guys, you rule. I'll stay out of this one for now though. But Ptah, if anything interesting starts to develop, get me on MSN so i don't have to keep checking this thread. If someone comes in spouting off about DT with no logic like that other jackoff in that one thread did, i'll put 'em in their place. I do it for the lulz.

Dream Theater are fucking great - images and words and scenes from a memory would probably slot into my top 10 albums of all time and a change of seasons may very well be my favourite song of all time

I was listening to Images And Words and Awake last night, and they certainly don't make music like that any more... :erk: I still enjoy them though... I think this new one will be a lot better than Octavarium... I loved the title track, and Panic Attack was alright, but the overall album didn't do much for me... :erk: Looking fowards to when they release this one...

Dream Theater are fucking great - images and words and scenes from a memory would probably slot into my top 10 albums of all time and a change of seasons may very well be my favourite song of all time

G'day fellow Aussie!!!

Scenes is my alltime favourite as well, but we just had a big argument about this one, so maybe I'll just leave it at that... :D

:lol: thanks guys, you rule. I'll stay out of this one for now though. But Ptah, if anything interesting starts to develop, get me on MSN so i don't have to keep checking this thread. If someone comes in spouting off about DT with no logic like that other jackoff in that one thread did, i'll put 'em in their place. I do it for the lulz.

Jackoff reporting for duty....sir?

I can honestly say I'm kinda burned out on DT. I was a huge fanboi after hearing a copy of the WDADU *cassette* (lol) and was hook, line, & sinkered by I&W as well as Awake. We were there when the PMU vid was filmed. FII but a bad taste in my mouth, not unlike biting into a chilidog, and finding out the hotdog was made out of shit, and the chili was fresh from the bedpan at the local nursing home. I thought they were back on the right track with SFaM, but really haven't loved an entire cd/album by them since. SY-X are about the only band who have put out releases that are complaint free from me, and I even questioned the early MP3 samplings from V, but came to my senses. I don't even mind Rod's voice on the debut as much as everyone else. This only goes to show that NO band is infallable, I was even quite harsh on my beloved Freak Kitchen when Organic came out. It'll take as much for DT to floor me (again) as it would for me to say something nice about Danny Goldenblow or PoS.

J-Dubya

Well it probably comes as no surprise that I disagree with you. I first of all don't think I am a jackoff :p I secondly don't think I was being illogical. I always hate these "logic" arguments because usually they are conducted by people who have no idea what they are talking about, and are more just trying to play with words than anything else. So I will try to explain my reasoning a little better....

Ok, so I actually do not hate Dream Theater, some of their stuff is pretty cool, and my guitar teacher is one of the biggest DT fans I have ever seen, so I get my fair amount of exposure to them. I just don't think they are all they are cracked up to be. That is what I was getting at with the whole "DT fans ruin DT" argument. Since you guys seem to really like silly and pointless analogies, I will make one for you.

Let's say that I am a huge fan of soda pops, and I am always looking for a new and great tasting soda pop. Well I give Pepsi a try and really think it's pretty cool, so I start drinking more pepsi. Well then I start talking to other people who like Pepsi and they start saying things like, "Pepsi is the greatest soda ever!", "Pepsi is so awesome because it's carbonated!". Then I start to realize that yes Pepsi's good, but it's not really much better if any better than any other soda pop. So I start to not declare my love for pepsi so much, and begin to ask pepsi-fans such questions as, "Why does having bubbles make pepsi so good? Don't lots of pops have bubbles?". Then after asking this I start getting flamed, and called "illogical" and get told to "go complain somewhere else". When all I ever wanted to know was how does having something else that lots of soda pops have make Pepsi so great? I also realized that Pepsi has one huge weakness, it has way more sugar than other pops, so this makes me even more down on Pepsi. So now I am not much of a pepsi fan, but am not afraid of pepsi-fans one bit.

SIMPLE KEY FOR THE ANALOGY IMPAIRED

Pepsi= Dream Theater
Pepsi Fans= Irrational DT Fans
Carbonation= Such things as recording fans on albums and using real strings
Pepsi having too much sugar= James Labrie

Status
Not open for further replies.