THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why people act as if you can't like both bands--AND that you can't recognize that they're not perfect. This might be blasphemy, but neither Symphony X nor Dream Theater has been 100% perfect every second all the time. It doesn't keep my from enjoying them, though.

When I get defensive about Dream Theater, it's because I'm tired of the anger that some of the bashers seem to approach them with.

I rather like 'Images and Words' but, for some reason, it isn't an album that spins often in my CD player. I don't really know why, maybe it's the snare drum sound that kind of gets to your ears if you listen to the album too long. Overall the album is 'grade A' -material and Kevin Moore's input is genious.

I haven't really gotten around to listen to any of their later albums, but the occasional songs I've heard via internet radios have been of decent quality. I think, though, that some more 'groove' and 'air' in their sound wouldn't do any harm.

So, that was my train of thought.

Awake is way better than I&W, and SFAM is their best. Images is a par album in my opinion, the only tracks that WOW me are Metropolis and Learning to Live.

All of Awake is fucking genius.

Well it probably comes as no surprise that I disagree with you. I first of all don't think I am a jackoff :p I secondly don't think I was being illogical. I always hate these "logic" arguments because usually they are conducted by people who have no idea what they are talking about, and are more just trying to play with words than anything else. So I will try to explain my reasoning a little better....

Ok, so I actually do not hate Dream Theater, some of their stuff is pretty cool, and my guitar teacher is one of the biggest DT fans I have ever seen, so I get my fair amount of exposure to them. I just don't think they are all they are cracked up to be. That is what I was getting at with the whole "DT fans ruin DT" argument. Since you guys seem to really like silly and pointless analogies, I will make one for you.

Let's say that I am a huge fan of soda pops, and I am always looking for a new and great tasting soda pop. Well I give Pepsi a try and really think it's pretty cool, so I start drinking more pepsi. Well then I start talking to other people who like Pepsi and they start saying things like, "Pepsi is the greatest soda ever!", "Pepsi is so awesome because it's carbonated!". Then I start to realize that yes Pepsi's good, but it's not really much better if any better than any other soda pop. So I start to not declare my love for pepsi so much, and begin to ask pepsi-fans such questions as, "Why does having bubbles make pepsi so good? Don't lots of pops have bubbles?". Then after asking this I start getting flamed, and called "illogical" and get told to "go complain somewhere else". When all I ever wanted to know was how does having something else that lots of soda pops have make Pepsi so great? I also realized that Pepsi has one huge weakness, it has way more sugar than other pops, so this makes me even more down on Pepsi. So now I am not much of a pepsi fan, but am not afraid of pepsi-fans one bit.

SIMPLE KEY FOR THE ANALOGY IMPAIRED

Pepsi= Dream Theater
Pepsi Fans= Irrational DT Fans
Carbonation= Such things as recording fans on albums and using real strings
Pepsi having too much sugar= James Labrie

i'm gonna make some top ramen.

No matter the quality or opinions regarding Dream Theater, they will ALWAYS have a special place in my heart. They were the first progressive metal band I ever discovered, and the first to introduce me to the idea of mindblowing complexity and epic scope of hard rock. Up to that point I was into stuff like Pearl Jam and Nirvana (hey, I was 13 :p ). When I first went into the music store and listened to an album called "Awake," getting walloped and knocked off my seat never felt better. I guess my point is, no matter what band it is, you'll always love them and treasure the fact that they changed your perspective on music for the better (as did Symphony X!). Even if you think they don't make as good music as they used to, you'll always respect and cherish them. Okay, that was my ramble, hehe.

*personal opinions*
Images and Words and Awake (obviously) are golden and should be declared national treasures. FII was alright, but not their best (Trial of Tears is amazing though). SFaM was so ambitious and they pulled it off fantastically. People don't seem to dig 6 Degrees... as much, but I think it's one of their best.

Dr. Pepper = Symphony X
Pepsi = Dream Theater

They are good but they have been better.

Actually, song writing arguments aside, I think they are currently performing better than they have before. The quality of the performance on Score, and the show on that 20th anniversery tour I got to see was leaps and bounds above anything I have seen from them live before. Also, I think Petrucci has really improved his improv since the last US G3 he was on. I bet he will be a lot more interesting on this new one. Their tone and mix these days is unbelievable - probably the best live sound around.

Actually, song writing arguments aside, I think they are currently performing better than they have before. The quality of the performance on Score, and the show on that 20th anniversery tour I got to see was leaps and bounds above anything I have seen from them live before. Also, I think Petrucci has really improved his improv since the last US G3 he was on. I bet he will be a lot more interesting on this new one. Their tone and mix these days is unbelievable - probably the best live sound around.

I actually think TSO has the best live sound I'll ever hear. It was an amazing show and sound. Petrelli's guitar work sounded perfect.

They are indeed a fucking outstanding live band these days.

Awake is way better than I&W, and SFAM is their best. Images is a par album in my opinion, the only tracks that WOW me are Metropolis and Learning to Live.

All of Awake is fucking genius.

I really love Take The Time off IAW as well... :headbang: That song is way underrated, but it is definately up there along with Metropolis and Learning To Live IMO...

Yep, I definately agree here. I think G3 has improved Petrucci in a huge way, and this will be obvious in his soloing on the new album I am sure... And Dream Theater are without doubt one of the tightest units in the live scene at the moment, that's for sure!

I don't know about anyone else, but I think their performance of "The Spirit Carries On" on Score is the best one they've done on a live recording. Even better than on "Scenes From New York!" It's the spot on performance of the song itself and the great sound quality. I get goose bumps every time I see and hear it!

Just so you all know, I removed Statler Wolf from my ignore list, because I feel like being a nice guy.

Greenaxer, seeing The Spirit Carries On was probably one of the best musical experiences of my life. After seeing it live, I just saw it in a completely different light.

Status
Not open for further replies.