THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I guess we do talk about DT's weaknesses to much, who do you guys think is DT's strongest member from a musical standpoint? Like if they quit the band, who would be missed the most?

Well I guess we do talk about DT's weaknesses to much, who do you guys think is DT's strongest member from a musical standpoint? Like if they quit the band, who would be missed the most?
I think that if Jordan Rudess left, it would take away the most from the band, or at least the most from what they have now. Very few keyboardists are as cooky as Jordan Rudess and not many people are ready to write like he does.

according to M.P.com, mike says the new album is finished and about 4 monthes from release date, also says the album is heavy and technicle :worship: .............wish another band i know kept their fans involved.

I think that if Jordan Rudess left, it would take away the most from the band, or at least the most from what they have now. Very few keyboardists are as cooky as Jordan Rudess and not many people are ready to write like he does.

I dunno about that...I think DT did just fine while they had Kevin Moore and Derek Sherinian. If anything, Rudess is my one real problem with Dream Theater--although he did get somewhat better with fitting into the band on Octavarium.

As for who it would be toughest to lose, for me it's a toss-up between LaBrie and Petrucci. Like him or not, LaBrie as a vocalist contributes a lot to the band's identity and to take that away would be to completely change DT's character. Same with Petrucci--not only does the guitar have kind of a similar role to a vocalist in a band, but I also think some of the more "genuine" lyrics tend to come from him, and losing that might also be a tough blow for the band to take. I mean, I'll be the first to admit some of DT's lyrics just don't speak to me (especially Portnoy's, with the exception of the AA saga), so losing the ones that tend to the most would be a pretty bad thing in my view. Almost always when I find something I like in their lyrics, I find out Petrucci's the one who wrote them.

^ :lol: No more Ninja! :cry:

I still think John Petrucci would be hardest to replace, as he would be responsible for the majority of riffs, and lyrics, and also because he continues to improve as a musician with G3 etc. that his feeling in his playing is just awesome!!! From a technical point of view, I think Tony MacAlpine, Ron Jarzombek, Chris Broderick or maybe Jeff Loomis could play their entire catalogue and do a good job making it sound like JP, but it wouldn't be exactly right, and they certainly couldn't imitate his style of songwriting...

Romeo could do it too. But it would be a totally different band with anyone but Petrucci there.

No he couldn't :heh: Romeo's solos consist of fits of tapping madness, which is good, but I don't think he could keep up with Petrucci's alternate picking or modal style of soloing...

Have we had this conversation before Montu, I'm getting a Strange Sense Of Deja Vu here...

Another Day, he'll Take The Time to Learn To Live, and he knows that even though The Answer Lies Within, it's Never Enough, and Through Her Eyes, we're all just trapped inside this Octavarium.

Another Day, he'll Take The Time to Learn To Live, and he knows that even though The Answer Lies Within, it's Never Enough, and Through Her Eyes, we're all just trapped inside this Octavarium.

This Dying Soul of mine tells me to Honor Thy Father. But, with the Endless Sacrifices I have made, my house is quite Vacant. It's Never Enough however, and As I Walk Beside You I have a Panic Attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.