the Australian Idol thread

Actually, when she isnt writing schmaltzy crappy pap like that, Diane Warren can write some brilliant stuff! When I See You Smile by Bad English and Id Lie For You And Thats The Truth by Meatloaf :worship:

How many of these 'stars' will you see or hear about in 2/3 years time? How irrelevant are nearly every single one of the past series' contestants at this current point in time?

I wonder why it is that bands and artists like U2, Madonna, REM, and the like are still relevant musicians in this day and age? *ponders* hmmmm.

Probably none of them, I cant see this years winner having a long career at all, and Guy Sebastian will probably be screwed once the hip hop/pop thing dies down, because his voice isnt really suited to much else (though he is definitely a great pop singer).

Guy has the best chance though, he has had longer to establish himself and the novelty was bigger back then, same with Shannon Noll, if he keeps putting out rock(ish) albums he will probably do alright in the long term.

ifyouwantblood said:
How many of these 'stars' will you see or hear about in 2/3 years time? How irrelevant are nearly every single one of the past series' contestants at this current point in time?

I wonder why it is that bands and artists like U2, Madonna, REM, and the like are still relevant musicians in this day and age? *ponders* hmmmm.
:)

Dude, we've already had this argument. Every pop generation has its shooting stars, and this AI mob will be part of a galaxy that's come out of the hit-machine in the past few years, there's no doubt about that.

KoichCPA said:
I think being skinny and healthy is more positive role model than being obese and unhealthy.

Having fat people on tv is like saying "It's ok to be a burden on the health system, you fat fucks"
I think yo've slightly missed what I'm saying, as a general statement it can be said that young girls idolise and aspire to be like Paris Hilton and be that skinny which is too skinny. The type of anorexic skinny which is bad. Now if you go through the womens magazines you'll find a hell of alot of anorexic stars with dieting plans and all kinds of crap.

See we'd go "thats just insane" but the girls don't see it as an impossibility and they waste themselves away. It's a serious problem.

I'm not talking about a healthy weight range but the idiotic type of skinnyness.

Now Casey isn't this ridiculous anorexic type and she's still (semi) successful (in teenage girls eyes) this is a good thing since most of the successful idols (not australian) for young women are anorexic (or look it) it's good to see she's not giving a message to waste yourself away.

Sure Casey's a big girl, she's probably slightly overweight but the point that there is now a role model who isn't anorexic is a positive.

On a side note: Bridget Jones, now that was displayed as a larger girl running around and doing things and being a positive role model since she wasn't skinny like all (female) movie stars have to be. The problem is the actress behind her completely undermined all the decency of that message by continually complaining how hard it was and how fat she felt. I hate Zellwiger now cos she's a stupid whore who's again sending out the message you have to be thin to be beautiful/successful.

spawn said:
Probably none of them, I cant see this years winner having a long career at all, and Guy Sebastian will probably be screwed once the hip hop/pop thing dies down, because his voice isnt really suited to much else (though he is definitely a great pop singer).

Guy has the best chance though, he has had longer to establish himself and the novelty was bigger back then, same with Shannon Noll, if he keeps putting out rock(ish) albums he will probably do alright in the long term.
It's not much different with any of the 'reality' stars when you think of it. Look at the Big Brother alumni. Some of the crowd from the first one are still in the public eye, but the last series only wound up a few months back and I don't think I've heard about any of them since it finished.

Yep, but the music guys have a better (though still small) chance of succeeding for a while because the other reality shows dont keep them in the public eye once the shows over, whereas they still release albums every year or so with music, so you can keep in the public consciousness that way.

Either way, I dont think any of them will have lasting music careers.

Aussie_Outlaw said:
On a side note: Bridget Jones, now that was displayed as a larger girl running around and doing things and being a positive role model since she wasn't skinny like all (female) movie stars have to be. The problem is the actress behind her completely undermined all the decency of that message by continually complaining how hard it was and how fat she felt. I hate Zellwiger now cos she's a stupid whore who's again sending out the message you have to be thin to be beautiful/successful.
This is an incredible tangent, but I think the whole Zellweger thing got carried away by the gossip mags concentrating on the yo-yo dieting she had to do to get back into shape after the first film and the fact that she would have found it hard to find more leading roles if she'd kept the weight on. Besides, the Bridget Jones character isn't even that fat. She's probably no fatter than Marilyn Monroe or Jayne Mansfield were. The dumbest thing about the body image today is that back in the 50s women like Monroe and Mansfield were considered sex gods, but now they'd be considered too fat to get a decent role.

*Zellweger also won the Best Supporting Actress role for the utterly unglamorous character she played in "Cold Mountain". That certainly wasn't a beauty contest.

Sorry, I haven't bothered to read the whole thread. I'm just amazed that some of you have said you actually vote for these duds. When they say "vote! vote!", they are really saying "gimme your money, gimme your money". I don't understand the point in encouraging the wanker creators of this show by voting. (This is not in reference to the kids, because, well, what can you do? I hope they waste their parents money on phone bills).

This is to the people who have said here that they vote. Why? Why not keep your money and buy an album that actually has some worth.

spawn said:
Yep, but the music guys have a better (though still small) chance of succeeding for a while because the other reality shows dont keep them in the public eye once the shows over, whereas they still release albums every year or so with music, so you can keep in the public consciousness that way.
This is why I vote. With all other reality shows like Big Brother, once the show is over, you never hear from it again, so it is easy to avoid while it is on and that is the last of it. Idol is different. The winners are forced down your throat for years to come, so I figure I might as well watch the show and have an opinion, and might as well vote so who ever wins and I have to put up with, isn't shit.

As for who is in the charts now, last time I looked at the singles chart at my local K-Mart, there were 7 in the top 20 that were from last years Idol.

I missed Anthony's first performance of The Prayer, but was pretty impressed with the version he did tonight. I think that Anthony is the better of the two but i'm not really dissapointed that Casey won....

Was interesting to hear the top 12 singing a Josh Groban song right at the end there!