The Beatles

EGOR said:
Roll up-Roll up for the Mystery tour step right this way......

now thats genius, ask any Rockstar, and they will all say the Beatles, songwriters listen to the best for inspiration.... and they all say the Beatles..... the Beatles arent just music they are family... modern metal? fuck thats lame and it sounds devoid of life, The Beatles sound as fresh and original as they did in the 60s.... do yourselves a favour and learn how to be cool and ignore the dross you are spoonfed by MTV and the media..... find new bands yourselves dig deep it will enrich your little minds. Stop wearing the same t-shirts like some conveyor belt army. Learn about great bands that are gone but not forgotten, because those older bands wipe the floor every time with any of this new shite.

www.Agankast.com

FYUCK YOUU BLOODBATH ROXXX!!!! METALLL!!! :kickass:

wtFUCK? you're saying because i forgot about a dead thread that im illogical? wtf is wrong with you? each and every one of your posts is just like this, a nonsensical insult. ftlog... do you even have a basic understanding of english?

The not-so Fab Four?

Listeners to BBC London 94.9 will know that he doesn't play their records. Now daytime presenter Robert Elms explains why he hates the Beatles' music...

"The fact that Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da was surprisingly voted the worst song of all time in a recent poll, makes this a good time to explain why I believe that the Beatles are the most ludicrously overrated band of all time and why I never play their records on my radio show.

While it's true that the afore-mentioned Ob-La-Di is a truly embarrassing piece of twee, cod-reggae, sadly typical of the Fabs at their most annoyingly banal, it is surely not the worst song of all time.

Yellow Submarine can justifiably claim that shameful title, or Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Octopus's Garden, or When I'm Sixty-Four - or any number of the heinous crimes against popular song collectively committed by these inexplicably sanctified mop tops.

Truly great bands don't make terrible records.

That lack of editorial control and judgement is a large part of what I have against them.
Yelping

Can you really imagine Smokey Robinson and the Miracles or The Band or Little Feat singing silly infant school rhymes? Certainly in their earliest incarnation as a mop top-shaking covers band, doing yelping versions of American R'n'B numbers, The Beatles had a raw charm and energy.
"How can a truly great songwriter come up with something as ingratiatingly simplistic and syrupy as the awful 'All You Need Is Love'?"
Robert Elms

But no more so than half a dozen similar beat boom combos and nowhere near as much as either the magnificently strutting Rolling Stones or Belfast's brilliantly bitter Them.

Compared to either of those the Beatles were British blues boom 'lite'.

And once they were given their head as songwriters, that clawing tendency towards poppy, soppy sentimentalism, a preponderance of playground sing-along la la la's and na na na's, and a liking for clever-clever studio arrangements, took all the sex and the passion and the dirt out of raw rock and roll.

They took black American music and made it whiter than white. The Beatles were the four nice boys granny could happily hum along to.

Teaming up with George Martin, a middle-class English gentleman famous for producing comedy records, The Beatles then started their ever more self-indulgent odyssey into double albums and concept albums, sitars, brass bands, gurus and general self-aggrandisement.
Simplistic

Certainly they wrote some fine tunes: Something, Let It Be, Here Comes the Sun… although all of those excellent songs are far better when covered by people who can actually sing.

Hear Aretha Franklin pull the full gospel majesty out of Let It Be or Nina Simone breathe depth into Here Comes The Sun, and you realise that none of The Beatles were ever particularly good vocalists.

And how can a truly great songwriter come up with something as ingratiatingly simplistic and syrupy as the awful All You Need Is Love?

Perhaps the most annoying bit of the whole overblown Beatles myth is when people harp on about how Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is the greatest, most profound, most important album of all time.

No it isn't. Have you actually listened to it all the way through lately? It's a dated, soulless, overblown exercise in studio trickery and trite musical tourism.
Compare that to say Dylan's majestic Blonde On Blonde or Marvin Gaye's achingly heartfelt What's Going On, both from roughly the same era, and tell me which is the masterpiece.

The fact that so many superior artists were overlooked because so much attention was focused on the Fab Four is another reason to try and redress that balance.

Where people are right about Sgt Pepper's, is the claim that it was an influential record.

We had to endure a decade of beards, platitudes and Tales From Topographic Oceans because it was so far-reaching.

It wasn't until punk came along and blew away all that nonsense that we got some passion and some soul back into rock music.

By then of course The Beatles were no more. But the dubious legacy continued in their solo careers.

Only George Harrison, always the least objectionable Beatle, avoided further major embarrassments. Poor Ringo gave us a series of awful records and the voice of Thomas the Tank Engine.

Paul McCartney croaked his way through the Frog Song and Rupert the Bear. John Lennon meanwhile is the one most Beatles idolaters claim carried his genius on.

Well actually I take back everything I said about Yellow Submarine and Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

The worst song of all time, by a mile, is Lennon's dire Imagine.

That mawkish, manipulative dirge, in which the multi-millionaire with one temperature-controlled room in his Manhattan mansion just to store his fur coats, whimpers "Imagine no possessions..." is the most sickly and irritating song ever.

That's why I don't play his records - or any by the others."

He raised some very vaild points IMO, the one i don't agree with is:

"We had to endure a decade of beards, platitudes and Tales From Topographic Oceans because it was so far-reaching (Srgt Pepper).

It wasn't until punk came along and blew away all that nonsense that we got some passion and some soul back into rock music."

largely incorrect.