The Beatles

i'd rather not get started on this or the whole board will probably and predictably hate me. but i'll contribute by saying i think the beatles are overrated. influencial? yes of course, i'm not retarded, but they are far from the gods that such a huge majority hail them to be.

daz436 said:
i'd rather not get started on this or the whole board will probably and predictably hate me. but i'll contribute by saying i think the beatles are overrated. influencial? yes of course, i'm not retarded, but they are far from the gods that such a huge majority hail them to be.

I duno, they are pretty bloody brilliant!

who are the beatles? are they anothor one of these 'obscure prog bands' you guys are always talking about?

arzachel said:
who are the beatles? are they anothor one of these 'obscure prog bands' you guys are always talking about?

They sure are, You ever heard of an album called The Sgt Peppers Lonley Hearts Club band? Well that's a hugely obscure prog record. Some say the 1st Prog record

They're the first band to ever use feedback in music for musical reasons. First band to have outside ambience in songs for musical effect. Lots of other stuff. Just a really important band.

Anything up to Help! was really just pop music, from there to Hey Jude is genius and the last two albums were honestly just rather pompous.

When a band gets to the point where they could theoretically realse an album of just white noise and it would still sell, they're aren't worth listening to anymore.

Biggest influence on modern music? Arguably yes, unless you count early rock and roll e.g Muddy Waters, the acts that created rock and roll and can therefore be considered the beggenings of just about all modern music.

I prefer The Who, always have always will, but I won't deny that The Beatles are the more important, probably the most important. As for "other than Nirvana", I really don't get why everyone thinks that Nirvana have had such a huge affect on modern music?

They were around for 4 years, they produced some pretty awful music (and a miniority of brilliant music), created generation X for their own benifit (you sell more record if people think listening to it makes them part of a special little club or some such), introduced Dave Grohl to the world and were gone.

Biggest influence on modern music? Aren't there like (at a push) 10 grunge bands in the world who actaully sell records these days? Pearl Jam, Silverchair, Pixies, Nickleback (?), Puddle of Mudd (??), Alice in Chains...I'm struggling I really am.

Between the time of The Beatles and Nirvana we have Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Metallica (sadly).

So you might want to rethink that assesment.

Needs to go on the Nirvana thread yea?

DEMIgOD said:
LOL, negitive comments on the beatles.. this board is beyond help.

Gosh, a spread of different opinions on a topic, someone alert the media.

Anyway, basically what powers said: the Beatles obviously are hugely influential but no love for Led Zepellin, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden or Metallica? And where is the Nirvana legacy - the generation of musicians they supposedly influenced?

daz436 said:

Overrated, hell no. The Beatles are still years ahead of even todays bands.

DEMIgOD said:
LOL, negitive comments on the beatles.. this board is beyond help.

Is it unbelieveble that just because a band is hugely influencial, that some people don't actaully like them that much?

Or are The Beatles a special case, in your opinion? Due to the vastness of their influence?

Elaborate please.