The Book Thread

Malergion

Complex pain
Jul 13, 2004
Sacramento, CA
I just finished reading Richard Dawkins' "The Ancestor's Tale" which is a history of evolution traveling backward through time via humanity's genetics. A bit heavy reading, but worth it if you like science.

I finished Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five", which is a semi-fictional account of the bombing of Dresden ( the Dresden parts are all real, apparently, as Vonnegut is an extra in the novel ). Incidentally, I checked out the book before he croaked and he died while I had it. Certainly the best war novel I have ever read.

Oddly, I also read Clive Barker's "The Thief of Always", which is good even though it's a novel intended for children. Don't want to spoil it too much, but it's good and can be read quickly.

Read CB's Weaveworld, people. It's a good book about a magic carpet.

Novels which I have read at some time in the past that I highly recommend are:
Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth" Follett's novels are all over the spectrum as far as elegance goes. I personally feel this is his best, and it is certainly his longest that I know of. It is set in the Middle Ages, and features, among other things, the burning of a cathedral by a central character, and the phrase "pig fucker"

Gary Jennings' "Aztec" Well-written Central American epic with literally every kind of sex and brutality imaginable. Highly recommended.

James Michener's "The Source" Michener is the god of historical fiction. This is about the history of the "Holy Land". Nuff said.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy novels -- Douglas Adams. Adams is the god of being funny *and* British. He also wrote Last Chance to See, which is his only serious bookl that I know of, and haven't read. It is about the search for the Aye-aye in Madagascar.

Ambrose Bierce -- It's all good. In particular, if you haven't read "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge", you need to.

That's all for now. Post your own, particularly if it's a good underdog.

--Glenn

Reading Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. Crazy book. ;) A shame I can't read it that often.

After that, I'm going to try and get a hold of the next couple of Dark Tower books by Stephen King. Read the first 3, and I hunger for more.

After that, I'm going to try and get a hold of the next couple of Dark Tower books by Stephen King. Read the first 3, and I hunger for more.

I've been reading Dark Tower since 1995. Oddly though, I still need to finish Wolves of the Calla and up.

He promised he'd finish DT before he retired officially, and luckily he delivered, though he has a new one out called Lisey's Story.

I read a few Dark Tower books, but I ended up getting caught in Wheel of Time instead.

Wheel of Time is an interesting fictitious series. Very much like Lord of the Rings, but much more stretched out among (so far) 12 books. Great read, Robert Jordan has a fun writing style, but he seems very infatuated about people's clothing.

I've been reading quite a bit of H.P. Lovecraft, I just finished Dagon and The Call of Cthulhu, which are awesome. The other's of his are quite a bit shorter but they are a good read nonetheless.

I'm currently on book #4 of Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series. It's an epic fantasy with dragons and wizards and magic and all that shit. There are 11 books in the series and all are quite long, but Goodkind has very readable style. The way he introduces characters and their involvement with the story is really great. Each character has very unique traits and abilities and the way they all work together (or against each other) is really captivating. So, this makes the books fairly easy to finish.

Basically, the plot is for Richard, the Seeker of Truth to save the world and it's magic, while at the same time keeping the woman he loves safe, even though she's as involved with all the happenings in the world as him.

If you like Lord of the Rings or stories like Tyler talked about in the thread earlier, you'll probably enjoy The Sword of Truth series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sword_of_Truth

Since I still have 8 more books to go, I don't think I'll be reading anything else for a while.

Funny you should mention Clive Barker, I'm about done with volume 3 of the Books of Blood. I've got some old books I purchased for 50 cents from my school's English department to read - 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King, a copy of The Odyssey (who doesn't have one, after all?), and "The Portable Steinbeck."

A friend of mine recommended Christopher Moore, since I read almost no humor. Can anyone else vouch for him?

^ I might have to check that series out.

EDIT: Damn you Russell. I intended that for below Kevin's post. :p

I'm currently on book #4 of Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series. It's an epic fantasy with dragons and wizards and magic and all that shit. There are 11 books in the series and all are quite long, but Goodkind has very readable style. The way he introduces characters and their involvement with the story is really great. Each character has very unique traits and abilities and the way they all work together (or against each other) is really captivating. So, this makes the books fairly easy to finish.

The difference between standard sword & sorcery is that Goodkind's writing is more human and less epic(even though it uses a pretty standard epic format). Also, it has real, non metaphorical S&M! (Sorry, you'll have to read the books to get that. I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

The difference between standard sword & sorcery is that Goodkind's writing is more human and less epic(even though it uses a pretty standard epic format). Also, it has real, non metaphorical S&M! (Sorry, you'll have to read the books to get that. I don't want to spoil it for anyone.
Truth.

Also, I forgot to mention in my post that I wouldn't be surprised if he has some sort of sub-conscious vendetta against women. It seems so far that one big recurring theme throughout the series is the very descriptive torture of women. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

Truth.

Also, I forgot to mention in my post that I wouldn't be surprised if he has some sort of sub-conscious vendetta against women. It seems so far that one big recurring theme throughout the series is the very descriptive torture of women. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

Freud would say that he is angry at his mother.

People don't read books on this forum.

They prefer their Pikachus to books.