The Books/Reading Thread

Finished Straw Dogs; interesting book, although a bit light at times. Gray is significantly swayed by his own argument so much that he sometimes forgets he's arguing, I think. It reads more like a self-help book, except that's not at all what it is. It's more like a combination of historical anecdotes, philosophical musings and rhetoric. Just take this excerpt:

For us, nothing is more important than to live as we choose. This is not because we value freedom more than people did in earlier times. It is because we have identified the good life with the chosen life.

For the pre-Socratic Greeks, the fact that our lives are framed by limits was what makes us human. Being born a mortal, in a given place and time, strong or weak, swift or slow, brave or cowardly, beautiful or ugly, suffering tragedy or being spared it - these features of our lives are given to us, they cannot be chosen. If the Greeks could have imagined a life without them, they could not have recognized it as that of a human being.

The ancient Greeks were right. The ideal of the chosen life does not square with how we live. We are not authors of our lives; we are not even part-authors of the events that mark us most deeply. Nearly everything that is most important in our lives is unchosen. The time and place we are born, our parents, the first language we speak - these are chance, not choice. It is the casual drift of things that shapes our most fateful relationships. The life of each of us is a chapter of accidents.

Personal autonomy is the work of our imagination, not the way we live.

Nonetheless, it was an entertaining read.

Excited to be starting this now:

12392681.jpg

Decided that after Nicholas Carr's The Shallows I would pick up what is in essence its predecessor from the early 90's, and how prescient it was.

Neil%20Postman%20Technopoly.jpg

Decided that after Nicholas Carr's The Shallows I would pick up what is in essence its predecessor from the early 90's, and how prescient it was.

Neil%20Postman%20Technopoly.jpg

I read this a few years ago and The End of Education. I found the latter to be much more interesting. Neil Postman can get a bit preachy at times

Getting into some good stuff lately, most recently Richard Rorty's Contingency, Irony and Solidarity. It's a really great, very accessible work of philosophy where Rorty basically adopts a literary-theory/criticism approach, and he makes great use of writers like Proust alongside thinkers such as Heidegger and Derrida.

His claim (which is a pragmatist/ironist one) is essentially that we must stop trying to square our own individual authenticity and being with an image of society (i.e. we should abandon the belief that a model of individual being can be successfully molded into, or grafted onto, a utopian model of society). In order to separate these pursuits, he says that individual thinkers/writers can be said to create their own personal understanding of their place in society and history, but that this understanding shouldn't be held up to the status of a universal character applicable to all human being(s). Individuals can create their own sublimity, but should not project it or (at worst) enforce it onto others; the latter, or course, often results in acts of atrocity perpetrated against specific marginalized groups (an example would be Heidegger's affiliation with and sympathy for the Nazis, culminating in him even selling out Husserl and championing Hitler for the removal of Jews from the universities).

Sublimity, thus, should be left to private creation; public politics and society, on the other hand, should be left un-sublimated, and should strive merely for a state of "decency." While self-creation, or private authenticity, can be a messy and complicated affair, we should avoid projecting this complexity into public life. Public politics, Rorty claims, should remain "untheoretical and simpleminded."

I'm not sure I agree with the claim, but it's certainly true that all historical efforts to combine individual self-creation with political utopianism have ended in, at best, failure; and at worst, ethical and physical disaster.

contingency-irony-solidarity-richard-rorty-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Indeed, there's an element of relativity to his theory; but a friend of mine described him as a "soft relativist." I think he tends toward individual, subjective truths, but also believes in the ability for liberal-minded groups to convene around common definitions for practical purposes.

I'm not sold on his ideas. I've never been riveted by him, just intrigued. This book is certainly an easy read, making it more interesting.

However, Quentin Meillassoux's After Finitude was absolutely earth-shattering. A philosophical whopper of a book. I finished it about two weeks ago, and I've already started re-reading it.

after-finitude.jpg

Currently reading Carrie. I can never decide how much I like Stephen King but this isn't bad so far.

Read it many years ago and thought it was much better than the movie. Compared to many other novels by King it's probably more of a novella....or something like that.

Great classic novel:

fahrenheit451.jpg

Classic novel indeed! Should try to find the time to reread it soon.

Latest book I read was Erin Morgnestern's The Night Circus. Not sure it's a typical book for a guy to pick up (but then I'm a girl), but it was one I found while looking on Amazon to see what other people had bought after buying Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. I really liked that one so I was looking for something similar. As far as the two stories go they take place during the 19th century (Night Circus a little during the 20th century as well), some magic although in different ways. I have to say I liked Morgenstern's novel quite a lot. I also liked the idea with the black and white circus made up by magic (although people outside of it just think they're deceived into believing what they see is true but don't believe in magic as they do in Clarke's novel). And no, there are no spoilers here :)