The Books/Reading Thread

I read Infinite Jest last year and found it rather tedious. The footnotes within footnotes and paragraphs that last 10 pages were annoying. There are a few hilarious moments and some brilliance but you have to trudge through a lot just to reach those moments.

I picked up some books as a gift for my friend's graduation (with the intention of borrowing them in the future :devil:)

Dead Souls by Nikolay Gogol (Penguin Classics)
The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky (Pevear and Volokhonsky translation)
They Shoot Horses, Don't They? by Horace McCoy

I read Infinite Jest last year and found it rather tedious. The footnotes within footnotes and paragraphs that last 10 pages were annoying. There are a few hilarious moments and some brilliance but you have to trudge through a lot just to reach those moments.

Thanks for the heads up. After I ordered the book, I discovered that it contained endnotes, so I had a feeling that something like your response could be an impression of the book. I guess I'll see how I like it. With Ayn Rand, I used to adore her magnum opus, Atlas Shrugged, but now I find it unnecessarily time consuming and prefer her shorter works, such as We the Living or Anthem. Perhaps this will be the case with Foster's work.

Speaking of endnotes, I can't stand them. Does anybody else share this hatred? Footnotes, on the other hand, I like. I heard that endnotes are are a product of publishing agencies, due to the additional cost that footnotes entail. Can any of you verify this?

I hadn't heard that before regarding Endnotes. Personally, I've never used Endnotes, and the few times I have used Footnotes, they've been very sparse. I liked how House of Leaves used footnotes in a very interesting way...rambling lists of authors who never existed to merely display the uselessness of such information...just words and names

CONQUEROR - historical fiction series.
by Conn Iggulden
Based on the life of Mongol warlords Genghis, Ogedai and Kublai Khan.

On the 3rd one now. Going thru them real fast.
Good reads so far.

Conqueror series:
Wolf of the Plains 2007
Lords of the Bow 2008
Bones of the Hills 2008
Empire of Silver 2010
Conqueror 2011

9019116586_ce1b204543_z.jpg

Finished the last batch of books on Iran and picked up some more. Also picked up Glass Bead Game because it's one of the few Hesse books I haven't read and it's been on my "to read" list for ages.

Finished the comics (they read quickly); very cool stuff, I enjoyed East of West immensely. I'll definitely be following that series.

Now I'm back on Dhalgren, about 250 pages in (550 more to go) and it's a slog; but it's more than worth it. The prose is marvelous (which I don't say often; aesthetics isn't my primary concern), and the subject matter is riveting. Texts like this are just time-consuming, especially for me. I spend a lot of time poring over every sentence, writing notes in the margins and underlining. But I can't wait to be able to say I finished this bad boy (it's like a mix of James Joyce, Jorge Luis Borges, and Philip K. Dick-esque sci-fi).

It's my first foray into Delany, so I can't say much comparatively speaking within his own catalog.

As far as works of literature go in general, it's a masterpiece.

War... what is it good for?

And LOL at all he "derrrrr America people in that pic."

Have you read the book and know the ideas it propogates? If you're assuming it proclaims war as a good thing, you would be sorely mistaken - it's written by a war reporter who has been in wars all around the world and he tells the truth about war, not the glamorized and glorified version that the mainstream media peddles to the ignorant public. Perhaps that's the reason for all the "derrrrr America people in that pic" on the book cover...

"You don't even know, man. Did you read it? Did you? Did you? You don't even know! blahblah." I couldn't make up a more self-righteous person, nor a more stupid looking cover for a book. :lol:

Anyways, just picked up Elite Squad, and debating if I should read the book first or watch the movie. I mean the movie is over three hours, so I doubt it leaves out that much.