The Books/Reading Thread

I've been enjoying the Ciaphas Cain 40k series.

I've been meaning to buy the Ciaphas Cain series myself, impressed with it so far?

Wow, I read several of those Alien franchise novels a long time ago. I can remember taking them with me to my aunt's house during Christmas. My favorites are still the original spin-off trilogy: Earth Hive, Nightmare Asylum, and The Female War. Those were based on comic books too actually, which I also owned.

I also read Genocide, Alien Harvest, and Rogue, although I don't remember those ones as well. Can't recall if I read any others...

I have an Aliens omnibus lying around here somewhere that I'm pretty sure contains Music Of The Spears, Stronghold, Frenzy, Taste, Mondo Pest and Mondo Heat.
I haven't read them all yet though so I can't comment on how good they are but the first two were cool.
I also have Female War and Harvest on their own, but because I don't have Earth Hive and Nightmare Asylum I held off on reading Female War.

The spin-off trilogy comes highly recommended?

I've been meaning to buy the Ciaphas Cain series myself, impressed with it so far?

I've only read like 2 40k books outside of the CC series so I don't have a good basis for comparison, but it was highly recommended and I haven't been disappointed so far after the first 3 books. The first person narrative is is well done. If you like the 40k universe, particularly the human element, it's some great light/fantasy reading.

Bravo_Two_Zero.jpg

... finishing this one up.

I have an Aliens omnibus lying around here somewhere that I'm pretty sure contains Music Of The Spears, Stronghold, Frenzy, Taste, Mondo Pest and Mondo Heat.
I haven't read them all yet though so I can't comment on how good they are but the first two were cool.
I also have Female War and Harvest on their own, but because I don't have Earth Hive and Nightmare Asylum I held off on reading Female War.

The spin-off trilogy comes highly recommended?

I remember really liking them. Steve Perry was the author, and he's pretty good at doing those franchise-fiction kind of books.

Okay, so I already posted this; but I can't stop thinking about Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow. I've been revisiting it lately for my exam prep and it's just a phenomenal book. I know there are lots of people here who love Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian; well, I honestly think that Gravity's Rainbow is on par with that novel, and in fact is far more stylistically/narratively complex.

Of course, that's to be expected: Blood Meridian is a historical novel, and Gravity's Rainbow, while historical to a degree, is far more interested in the unknown and the alien. And this is why I think several readers on this board would find the novel fascinating, albeit challenging. Gravity's Rainbow is a work of, for simplicity's sake, horror in its purest sense: the invasion of the living human world by the world of the inhuman dead. War in Pynchon's novel isn't so much an act of aggression between two (or more) human factions, but an interface between life and death. War is a means of communion, so to speak. This allows Pynchon to make some really sweeping political critiques as far as militarization goes, but he also takes aim at race, gender, sexuality... and in the realm of science he tackles physics, mathematics, cybernetics... he's all over the board.

It's by no means a simple narrative, and I do not claim to have a complete grasp on what exactly happens in it. But every time I go back and look at it, I find something new to underline or notate. It's just an incredible piece of literature.

Infinite Jest was phenomenal too. This summer has been productive for me as far as major American novels go.

I would recommend Gravity's Rainbow above Infinite Jest though, even though I loved the latter. Both are unrelentingly difficult books, and dark as fuck. But Gravity's Rainbow has a more global and complex feel to it, in my opinion.

I'm not 100% done with Tragedy and Hope yet but it definitely seems to back up Buchanan's Churchill, Hitler and the Unnecessary War.

It is quite unfortunate for all involved in the 30s and 40s that the US joined the war in 1917. I'm concerned for a historical repeat.

Still not a fan of Buchanan thought. :cool:

Yeah, I haven't read anything else he's written, book or otherwise. I think the impetus for him on covering the grimly unfortunate events surrounding WWI and setting the stage for WWII probably was his political views, in being anti-interventionist, a sentiment which I do share to varying degree.

Your response does nothing to answer my question. Every historian(scholar) knows the Versailles treaty was the most crucial error in producing the environment for Nazi Germany to rise, but what is the alternative?

511N7W2G3iL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I enjoyed reading this book.

Your response does nothing to answer my question. Every historian(scholar) knows the Versailles treaty was the most crucial error in producing the environment for Nazi Germany to rise, but what is the alternative?

The errors go further back than just the treaty. Furthermore, it is assumed that the loss by the Central powers was a good thing. I can find no evidence for this other than unsubstantiated pro-British or French sentiment. Imperial Germany was, from what I can tell, certainly more admirable than Britain or France or Russia of the era.

I'm listening to his comments on the book and it's kind of ridiculous.

He is very confident in his assessment of Hitler which I think is incorrect. And of course he enjoys the "no war in the west" but "Germany vs. Russia" doesn't sound like such a bad thing.

Last edited by a moderator: