The Books/Reading Thread

I read "Story of Your Life" back in undergrad, but was excited to revisit it after seeing the movie Arrival. Ted Chiang is fucking incredible:

51fHqVpotuL.jpg

Gone through about four essays already in this collection, which is superb so far. Greif co-founded the magazine n+1. These essays originally appeared on that platform, which is intended for pieces that don't quite fit in academic journals but are also more critically oriented than journalistic pieces:

An awesome collection that I need to re-read. Too bad he doesn't publish more. That cover is awesome too, by the way. Hopefully the movie will make more people read Chiang.

I just finished "Division By 0" a couple days ago. That story moved me. I can't think of another SF writer at the moment who can extract such affect from a field as emotionless as mathematics.

I finished reading Hank Phillippi Ryan's Say No More the other day. I liked the book and how the author tied the various plots together. I went to a signing for her and another author I like last night.

For science fiction fans, here's a link to Steven Shaviro's "favorite SF of 2016." Definitely some good stuff on this list, and a lot that I'm excited to go read.

http://www.shaviro.com/Blog/?p=1415

Just some standouts that I really want to read are Gemma Files's Experimental Film, Cixin Liu's Three Body Problem trilogy (the final installment came out in 2016), and Matthew De Abitua's The Destructives.

Had a gift card to the bookstore; pretty excited about this haul:

%7B0A1B7A1E-5F77-4C62-B61F-E951694C0925%7DImg100.jpg

white%20teeth.jpg

51Q2RYbNslL.jpg

The-Three-Body-Problem-Liu-Cixin-1.jpg

No idea when the hell I'll get to all these, seeing as I'm working through Pynchon's mammoth Against the Day - but I'll crack them eventually.

don't pretend you know what tumblr is, old man. even goatse, tubgirl, joecartoon, rathergood, ebaumsworld, spiderman has made you gay, pain4, 1337 speak, askjeeves/lycos/altavista search, napster/audiogalaxy/dc++/kazaa/imesh/morpheus, geocities and xanga are after your time. have you even heard of teletext? we have these things called fax machines now you know.