The Books/Reading Thread

RE: 'Fulgrim' is so breathtaking and draining in its dense epicness.
Reading the final paragraph is like coming down from a huge high, it's almost as if that whole time I wasn't breathing until now.

2nd time around reading it and I was really struck by the parallels between the way the Socratic philosophy fragmented into (what makes up the main body of Hellenistic philosophy) the 3 main philosophies of: stoicism, epicureanism and skepticism vs. the way the Emperor of Mankind as the ideal of perfection fragmented into Ferrus Manus' stoic directness, refusal to give much thought to the morrow and his attempt to simplify all thought and action as a means to expunge weakness from the potential fuzzy nuance which might dilute his strength and Fulgrim's epicurean self-indulgence and hedonistic idea that pleasure is the only good and good leads to perfection.

(Both stoicism and epicureanism of course forming the very imperfections that led to their undoing.)

Just a thought which probably makes no sense, especially without having read the book.

No idea which primarch would represent skepticism though.

Anyways, onto:

View attachment 13904

I don't read these, but sounds pretty cool. I didn't realize they were historical fantasy...?

Even though the Warhammer 40k universe is actually set in a galaxy which saw Einstein, Hitler, Socrates, Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan etc (they just existed so far back in time that they're thought of more as a footnote to more recent yet still ancient philosophers) and ancient civilizations are referenced albeit you have to spot them as the words are usually changed a bit to imply that the English language has changed somewhat (eg in a book, I forget which, Egyptian paganism and Egyptian rulers are mentioned briefly but the spelling is changed to "Gyptian" that kind of thing), the whole Roman/Greek philosophy is just my observation and would probably be picked apart by anybody well read on the subject lol.

In Warhammer 40k, the story basically goes: old earth humans eventually went into space, built a small civilization on the moon, eventually used the moon as a military platform to colonize the galaxy, then there was a huge war and everything fell apart into an age of chaos, then a figure known as The Emperor reconquers old earth, unifies it via making a pact with the Mars mechanicum (basically Mars split off from the colony and became its own sovereign planet prior, eventually acting as the sole manufacturer of war weaponry) and then begins his campaign to reunify the galaxy and reclaim old colonized planets that fell to despotism or alien invasion etc.

It's not even hard sci-fi, it's extreme sci-fi mixed with extreme fantasy. Of course it helps to have an interest in the tabletop game.

Reactions: Einherjar86
Haha, I didn't realize it was inspired by a game. I glanced quickly at the google result for Horus Heresy and just saw that it's a fantasy series by multiple authors. I guess it makes more sense now that I know it's a game...

I saw there was some official gmd in-crowd fantasy discussion a couple pages back so this should be somewhat relevant. Erikson is apparently working on a Karsa Orlong book and is putting the Kharkanas Trilogy on hold. A Karsa Orlong novel sounds promising as I thought the beginning to House of Chains was one of the best parts about the entire series. I still haven't read the first two books of the the Kharkanas Trilogy and probably won't until there is at least a release date for the last book.

oh man that rules, one of my favourite characters ever in anything. although i'm not sure he really needs his own book given he had the whole opening book of HOUSE OF CHAINS to himself? guess we'll see.

Haha, I didn't realize it was inspired by a game. I glanced quickly at the google result for Horus Heresy and just saw that it's a fantasy series by multiple authors. I guess it makes more sense now that I know it's a game...

Indeed, though imo the writers involved don't stray too stylistically from each other so it really just reads as if it's all by one writer. You don't really need to play the game to get it though, my brother reads WH books and has never played the game in his life, but it is niche as hell.

The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway anyone?

I have almost all the Hemmingway books in paperback, and it is quite a coincidence that I have been thinking about commencing reading through them, today. I read A farewell to arms many years ago and cant remember too much about it, and I read another, which without perusing the titles cant remember the name of. Is `The Sun also rises` any good? What is it about ( I have this book and could start with it.

I bought it not so long ago. I also have to commence reading it. It was a blind buy so to speak as I thought it was A Farewell to Arms' twin that takes up war as a main theme.

The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway anyone?

It's good, vintage Hemingway. Expats in Europe, characters suffering from variations of PTSD, illicit love affairs, etc. There are also several passages on the Running of the Bulls, if I recall correctly. I'm not a huge Hemingway fan, but The Sun Also Rises is a good story.

:'(

I've not read much by her but I love the Earthsea stuff and the only scifi I've read, The Left Hand of Darkness was great I think!

Left Hand is one of my favorite sci-fi novels. I love that book.

but holy fucking shit is it long (still not as long as the mammoth Wheel of Time--which honestly gets pretty bad around the third book, or so I thought).

I'm on book 5 of Wheel of Time. I remember a few of you warning me not to start it lol. Book 4 was a real chore to get through. I also have Sanderson's Way of Kings on deck for after I finish the next Jordan book

Erikson's whole saga has also been on my list for a while. Too many books...

(...I, too, have not read any Harry Potter books or seen the movies)

5130XwQUcTL.jpg

I'm sitting an English Literature exam tomorrow, and I have to be familiar with such titles as Mrs. Dalloway, Great Expectations, and Gulliver's Travels. Not really excited about these books. Fortunately, there's also Lord of the Flies and Heart of Darkness in the programme.

Heart of Darkness is so good. Conrad in general is amazing. I think The Secret Agent is my favorite, followed by HoD.

I also love Mrs. Dalloway, it's one of my favorite modernist novels. Undergrads tend to hate it though, haha. Speaking of which, happy birthday Virginia Woolf.

I have read so far, up to chapter 7 of ` the Sun also rises` by Earnest Hemmingway. This book is easy reading, in that it all goes in very easily. He is clearly an accomplished writer with his own style. The reason I am writing this, is that, so far the characters haven't done anything but drink, and drink, and drink heavily. It has been a constant of going out to French bars and getting drunk and nothing else, nothing else. Now I, myself do not drink anymore, I gave it up a few years ago, yet after reading this book each night I feel drunk. And when I wake up in the morning I am ( almost sub-consciously ) feeling that I am expecting a hang-over.
I am not sure if this book reflects his lifestyle in any way, but if it does, he must have been a real piss-head.
I shall carry on through the book.

Reactions: EspaDa
I have read so far, up to chapter 7 of ` the Sun also rises` by Earnest Hemmingway. This book is easy reading, in that it all goes in very easily. He is clearly an accomplished writer with his own style. The reason I am writing this, is that, so far the characters haven't done anything but drink, and drink, and drink heavily. It has been a constant of going out to French bars and getting drunk and nothing else, nothing else.

That's Hemingway. Dude liked to drink, so that's what all his characters did.