The Books/Reading Thread

Finished Seeing Like A State. Really good, but I think it could have been shorter and still sufficiently made its point. I would definitely recommend it for everyone who would style themselves as an intellectual, particularly if involved in politics and especially if a progressive.

Next up:
51ejZVLFnLL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reactions: viewerfromnihil
That's supposed to be a classic. Never read it myself.

In other news, I am fucking PSYCHED! Was at the bookstore the other day, and found out that R.S. Bakker published the final book in the Second Apocalypse series. So in my final week before the semester starts, I'm aiming to finish the penultimate book and then dive into the finale:

The Great Ordeal (book three):

27160926.jpg

The Unholy Consult (book four):

51Ql7tWSudL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So maybe this means I can revisit the Malazan series once I finish Bakker's behemoth; but for my money (and knowing that I've only read the first two books in the Malazan series), I find Bakker's premise more interesting and his writing more enjoyable, as over the top as it is. This is definitely the darkest high fantasy I've ever read.

Finished Seeing Like A State. Really good, but I think it could have been shorter and still sufficiently made its point. I would definitely recommend it for everyone who would style themselves as an intellectual, particularly if involved in politics and especially if a progressive.

I have it on PDF and liked what I read when I poked through it for a few minutes. From my understanding, Scott gets buzzed around the cultural anthropology discipline quite a bit, particularly the anarchist strain. I'll have to give it a more thorough look soon.

Finished Rule Number 2. Quick, excellent read. Was really cool the base the author was at was where I was deployed to, albeit in a period 2 years earlier than me. There's a bit where the - according to what I was told only - casualty of enemy rocket attacks on the base was brought in/died. I remember seeing the pock mark on the pavement out front of the PX where this was written to have happened, and being told that was from the only casualty of the rocket attacks. Cool to have that hearsay partially corroborated.

Now halfway through American Nations. Very interesting read.

51RUUEsl7RL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:
So maybe this means I can revisit the Malazan series once I finish Bakker's behemoth; but for my money (and knowing that I've only read the first two books in the Malazan series), I find Bakker's premise more interesting and his writing more enjoyable, as over the top as it is. This is definitely the darkest high fantasy I've ever read.

i wouldn't necessarily judge erikson by the first two books, the next three are probably his objective peak writing-wise (he admits himself the first book's comparatively pretty weak). i get why some would prefer bakker though - he's even more philosophical, even more perverse and fucked up, probably more modern and original in his concepts. he's created some of the most singular characters and most vivid images i've ever come across in anything, and the tone is unlike anything else. i especially get why anyone who's more drawn to ideas than emotions would prefer him.

the reason i love erikson even more is that his books feel more invested with meaning than anything else i've read. every individual act, every gesture, every shared gaze, it all matters so much in those novels, the way it must've done in the distant, superstitious, god-fearing past i suppose. i'm a pretty apathetic, desensitised person and that series made me feel connected to its world in a way i'd always craved to connect to my own. i find a lot of wisdom and pathos in the characters' existential plights and musings, but also in erikson's understanding of the relationships between past and present, the spiritual and corporeal, myth and reality, individuals and the collective, etc, and how his world and its machinations are organically built out of that understanding. this is true of bakker too to an extent, but while he's an extremely intelligent guy i do think his philosophising can get indulgent or digressive at times, rather than arising naturally from the story.

i also love that erikson doesn't offer a linear story with a start and end so much as dumping us in the middle of a vast, extremely multi-faceted history the author (an IRL archaeologist) has mapped out meticulously in his head (along with ian cameron esslemont, who deserves a portion of the credit). each individual in erikson is fully formed with a history that reaches way beyond the pages, but each typically begins as a mystery to the reader, a potentiality from which power, values, flaws, burdens, complex lore etc gradually emerge as each adds his/her own layer to the story (this is also true of bakker to an extent but erikson pushes it further). i much prefer this approach to the usual slight variations on traditional types, or GRRM's way of beginning in cliché and then having those clichés be subverted, which feels easier and cheaper to me.

i'm also fond of his sense of humour, which ranges from soldiers' gallows humour to shakespeare-indebted witticisms to pure silliness, but rarely seems ill-fitting nor reduces characters to gimmicks. i only mention that because it feels like a lost art in fantasy sometimes, a genre which tends to take itself a little too seriously.

Last edited:
I've heard that about the Malazan series before. I have a copy of the third book lying around somewhere, and I've wanted to make a second go at it for a while now.

Bakker's series definitely takes itself seriously, sometimes to its detriment. I do appreciate its philosophical motivations, but the second part of the series (i.e. the latter four books) gets quite dense--not conceptually as much as rhetorically. It feels overwritten, at times. That said, the penultimate and final books have been so relentlessly tragic and I love it. The story isn't only about this massive host marching on the enemy's stronghold, but about the utter desolation that follows the collapse of analytic knowledge and heuristic methods. It's really the only fantasy series I know of that uses plot as a metaphor for the dissolution of meaning, rather than its revelation (although I haven't finished the final book yet, so it's possible Bakker might do a 180).

I will say that the fifth book of the series (second book of the tetraology), The White Luck Warrior, drags a bit (at least from my perspective, it felt sluggish). But the fourth book (first of the tetralogy), The Judging Eye, was brutal and awesome. It reads like a twisted combination of The Lord of the Rings and Blood Meridian.

Man. American Nations has been a great read. Highly recommend. No more readings on deck atm because I need to focus on the semester.

PS: Fuck Yankees (amazing the author was educated in MA).

Finished Memories of Ice last night. I told myself I was going to take a break from Malazan once I finished it but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

I finished the Kristen Lepionka mystery novel What You Want To See today.

In the mail yesterday, I received a couple new advance copies to read and review for Mystery Scene magazine. I was shocked to see that one of the books is for an A-List author that's written 30 plus bestsellers. It's the first time I've received a book from the magazine from such a major author.

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
Finished American Nations. Started 12 Rules for Life although I imagine I already know most of the content of the main book. However, the Foreward has been excellent. Anyone who hates JP as a person does so as an anti-humanist or as an ignoramus.

Currently reading:

View attachment 15354

Roughly just over a chapter in thus far, the lore is a little dense but I'm slowly getting over the terminological barriers. The book is part of the Iron Hands series who are a group within Warhammer 40k who ritualistically slowly replace their biology with machinery, so there's a hyper-futuristic transbiological element which necessitates a pretty crazy use of technical language that takes some time to get used to.

Slowly getting over feeling burned out and getting back to this, roughly just over 6 chapters in and the story is really picking up so good timing. With all the talk of walls these days I noticed an interesting and amusing passage in chapter 5:

"The Iron Hands have no love for walls.
Walls encourage the weak to prosper."

As a fan of the Iron Hands specifically I had no idea until now that they're basically social Darwinists. :lol:

Reactions: Dak
Doing some more readings for an upcoming interview after receiving a positive reply from a potential adviser.

Finished the introduction of this. Provocative and intriguing. I'm looking forward to flipping through the rest.
crashed.png

Will be reading through this next. Looks very promising.
Screen-Shot-2016-03-23-at-8.49.17-PM-uai-516x767.png