The Books/Reading Thread

Halfway through this, and luh-ving it. For those interested, it's a darkly funny horror story about a middle-class Massachusetts family whose oldest daughter may or may not be possessed by a demon. It's told from the point of view of the younger daughter, mediated by her memories and a "true story" TV show that was made about her family's ordeal. It's very funny and satisfyingly creepy.

51mWfafQVUL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reactions: Slammed
Yeah I'm enjoying it. I've read nearly all of Joe's books and I don't think he's written a bad one.

I read and sent in reviews for a couple of books to the magazine I write for.

The books were Leonard Goldberg's The Art of Deception and Robyn Gigl's By Way of Sorrow.

How is this?

Well, depends on the context. Given its age I'd give it a 9/10. It is a bit dated (it has some very specific sections about organization pre/post WWII), and with my previous knowledge base it had some somewhat dry/redundant points. That said, I think that for either an academic interested in the subject in general or an officer without(or maybe even with) the prior knowledge base it should be required reading.

Reactions: Einherjar86
I finished the Sheila Connolly mystery novel One Bad Apple.

I also read the graphic novel thriller Over My Dead Body by Jay Faerber. You can check out my thoughts on that one HERE!

The Erasers is some weird shit. I also enjoyed (if "enjoy" is the right word) The Jealousy. The sense of a camera eye is palpable in all these fictions though. I really want to read Djinn at some point, haven't gotten my hands on a copy yet.

The Erasers is some weird shit. I also enjoyed (if "enjoy" is the right word) The Jealousy. The sense of a camera eye is palpable in all these fictions though. I really want to read Djinn at some point, haven't gotten my hands on a copy yet.
Djinn and La Maison de rendez-vous are on the list for me as well. As soon as I'm done with Ghosts in the Mirror I'm going back to La belle captive which was actually the first book of his I read, then I'll probably get a used copy of La maison and Djinn which are usually bundled together like Jealously and In the Labyrinth. Djinn I'm particularly interested it due to how it originated as an essay so he's probably playing around with form more than usual in that one.

Djinn and La Maison de rendez-vous are on the list for me as well. As soon as I'm done with Ghosts in the Mirror I'm going back to La belle captive which was actually the first book of his I read, then I'll probably get a used copy of La maison and Djinn which are usually bundled together like Jealously and In the Labyrinth. Djinn I'm particularly interested it due to how it originated as an essay so he's probably playing around with form more than usual in that one.

Yeah, it’s apparently a novel masquerading as a grammar textbook; I love that kinda shit.

If you’re into that and up for another experimental horror trip, check out Michael Cisco’s book Unlanguage. It’s a grammar textbook for the undead.

I finished the C.J. Box thriller Long Range and the Jenn McKinlay mystery Books Can Be Deceiving.

GM_cover_US_tor_2009.jpg

Picked this up from the library to resume my reread that I abandoned 1½ years ago when I moved and forgot my copy in my hometown. Got back into it fairly quickly. Easier read than I remembered. Excited to hopefully get further than Memories of Ice this time.

Incidentally, I wish the version of this with the Chris Moore cover art was more widely available because it's absolutely dope and reminds me of Crystal Logic:

b0c58d06f3615c435d6f44c8f46c1a24.jpg