The Books/Reading Thread

i have white noise and underworld, will prob read white noise first 'cause its size is less intimidating

thinking of reading glen cook's 'the black company' again in preparation for my newly bought 'shadows linger'

LOL

Underworld is pretty intimidating due to size, but I've read Atlas Shrugged too, so size isn't an issue for me. Sometimes the way he writes intimidates (or irritates?) me

depends if you like dark, gritty, slightly graphic-novelish, metal as fuck fantasy about a bunch of mercenaries. he's an influence on steven erikson who is THE BEST. AUTHOR. EVER. so that really says it all.

speaking of which, my copy of 'toll of the hounds' has been dispatched ^_^ i cannot wait

That's my favorite fantasy style. I'll definitely check it out, thanks.

If you like Erikson you should check out R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy. Steve Erikson actually made Bakker famous because of a quote he said about Bakker's trilogy: "Take note, one and all, something remarkable has begun."

cheers, i like bakker lots man, not half as much as erikson but he's still one of my favourite fantasy authors. i'm looking forward to whatever he does next. i also recently read 'night of knives' by esslemont which is of course a must for erikson fans

I bought War and Peace the other day. Not to read, but to use for self-defense.

cheers, i like bakker lots man, not half as much as erikson but he's still one of my favourite fantasy authors. i'm looking forward to whatever he does next. i also recently read 'night of knives' by esslemont which is of course a must for erikson fans

Ah, already know him. :cool: I'll have to check out the Esslemont book, I don't know that one. Thanks for the tip!

he formed the Malazan world with Erikson and his books are set there too, albeit covering a partially different story arc. he's in the process of writing his second book

I'm re-reading [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gift-Fear-Gavin-Becker/dp/0440508835/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214159992&sr=8-1"]The Gift of Fear[/ame], one of my favorite books. It's about understanding violence and predicting violent behavior. It's a really fascinating book.

I bought War and Peace the other day. Not to read, but to use for self-defense.

:lol: good call... actually i love that book... very very slow but ultimately worth it. Tolstoy rocks. :headbang:

Speaking of which... I just finished The Death of Ivan Ilych and other stories and Turgenev's Fathers and Sons. Both were very good especially the latter. Next up I think will be Poor Folk and The Gambler by Dostoyevsky.

I read some bullshit in a EMO- magazine yesterday (its called VISIONS) Id NEVER buy that shit but I got it for free from a mailorder shop.

Well they made a review about the 80´s Thrash-metal best albums
that was just annoying..
Testament, Destruction, Sodom and Overkill are NOT IMPORTANT BANDS for them and were not worth to review.. :ill:
they know nothing about this music and write such a bullschit
review!!!!!

So, I finished House of Leaves and really want to discuss it somewhere online. Has anyone been to any good forums that really delve into the symbolism and significance of its intricacies?

I'm about half-way through Nero's biography by Suetonius. Once I'm through him, the next three are quickies since Galba, Otho and Vitellius only reigned a few months apiece.

Ah, the Year of the Four Emperors. Good times. :cool:

As of lately, I read George R.R. Martin's The Hedge Knight. I'm a huge fan of Martin but only recently got around to reading this. Great little short story. I have The Sworn Sword but I've yet to read it.

I'm about to begin Matthew Pearl's The Poe Shadow. I loved The Dante Club, and while I've heard The Poe Shadow doesn't quite live up to its predecessor, I'm excited nonetheless. I love Edgar Allen Poe.

So I'm getting back into this whole reading thing now. Just finished reading Naked Lunch, such a fucking good book.