The Books/Reading Thread

I have a list of books that I want to read/re-read.

Re-read List:
- Anna Karenina
- The Lord of the Rings
- Manhunt (very good book about John Wilkes Booth's attempted escape from Ford's Theatre to the Confederacy)

Read List:
- Some Star Wars fiction that doesn't suck balls
- Various history books for next year's classes (a head start would be nice)

I am drawing a blank right now, but I always have a bunch of books that I've been meaning to get around to reading but never have actually read. It all comes back to me at libraries and book shops.

I have a list of books that I want to read/re-read.

Re-read List:
- Anna Karenina
- The Lord of the Rings
- Manhunt (very good book about John Wilkes Booth's attempted escape from Ford's Theatre to the Confederacy)

Read List:
- Some Star Wars fiction that doesn't suck balls
- Various history books for next year's classes (a head start would be nice)

I am drawing a blank right now, but I always have a bunch of books that I've been meaning to get around to reading but never have actually read. It all comes back to me at libraries and book shops.

:OMG:welcome back :kickass: i just finished reading anna karenina actually

I'm bored with my books. :(

I generally enjoy reading books from the horror genre. Any suggestions would be great. In the meantime, I will continue to keep myself busy with Lovecraft and Poe stuffs.

You should try the book House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski. Imagine if M.C. Escher, E.E. Cummings, James Joyce and Edgar Allen Poe came together and wrote a novel, and House of Leaves might be the result. It's a very scary and weird story, and very different from anything else in literature today.

Really? I was planning on reading House of Leaves, but I talked to some people who read a lot of books, and they said it was nothing special.

Really? I was planning on reading House of Leaves, but I talked to some people who read a lot of books, and they said it was nothing special.

Well, it's different from anything I've ever read. It's a work of fiction that masquerades as a critical essay, therefore satirizing the genre. There are multiple narrators (at the heart of the book is a videotape, which is being analyzed by one writer whose text is being criticized by another whose text is being edited by a group of unseen, unidentified editors). The footnotes contain a separate story from the actual text, and much of it's written in a very ergodic style. At the very least it's a fun read. If you really dig the story, it can be exhilarating and terrifying. There are plenty of references to ancient mythologies, including Greek and Norse. It also plays with its facade as a critical work by containing fictional excerpts by actual writers, including Hunter S. Thompson, Stephen King, and Harold Bloom. It's also fun to try and find the codes that are contained within the text before reading about them online. :cool:

You should try the book House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski. Imagine if M.C. Escher, E.E. Cummings, James Joyce and Edgar Allen Poe came together and wrote a novel, and House of Leaves might be the result. It's a very scary and weird story, and very different from anything else in literature today.

I just looked this up on Amazon. Sounds pretty interesting. I may give it a shot and I guess it wouldn't hurt to look through the rest of this thread and see what everyone's been reading.

just finished reading The Road today. Like the other Cormac McCarthy novels I've read, it's intensely powerful and beautifully written. If you read this, you may turn into a weepy mess by the end of it.

it's immense

probably best way to describe it

Unfortunately the only books I get to read these days are my Computer Science books. :mad:
I'll be on vacation at the end of this week though. Anyone have any recommendations for me?

this:
just finished reading The Road today. Like the other Cormac McCarthy novels I've read, it's intensely powerful and beautifully written. If you read this, you may turn into a weepy mess by the end of it.

or a collection of Roald Dahl short stories.

Any Chuck Palahniuk fans around here? I have read Fight Club, Survivor and Diary. I dig his style. The books are very entertaining and always have something to say under the humor and violence. They read really fast too, which is nice when I want to read but don't have as much time as I would like.