The Books/Reading Thread

I'm reading the second book of Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen right now: Deadhouse Gates

I like Erickson, he's a good writer.

I'm thinking of giving Bujold's Chalion books a go next.

Just looked up my list of books I'll be reading for Honors during the Fall semester. They include:

Shakespeare - The Tempest
Rousseau - Basic Political Writings
Marx - Economic/Philosophical Manuscripts of 1844 & The Communist Manifesto
Shelley - Frankenstein
Ulrich - A Midwife's Tale
Bacon - New Atlantis & The Great Instauration
Darwin - The Origin of Species
Locke - Second Treatise of Government
Galilei - Sidereus Nuncius

Just looked up my list of books I'll be reading for Honors during the Fall semester. They include:

Shelley - Frankenstein

I've read... two of those.

Shelley - Frankenstein

The Tempest- Great
Marx- bullshit :)cool: just kidding... kind of)
Shelley- Great
Locke- Great

Halfway through The Great Hunt, the second book in the Wheel of Time series. I agree that Robert Jordan isn't the best writer ever, but so far, these books are still entertaining despite their flaws. When I'm done with this I have to place an order for more books, probably a few more in the same series and something unrelated for variation.

Do any of you know any good, historically accurate, historical fiction? Preferably set in ancient Rome, but other settings are fine too if it's a really good book, or series.

Halfway through The Great Hunt, the second book in the Wheel of Time series. I agree that Robert Jordan isn't the best writer ever, but so far, these books are still entertaining despite their flaws. When I'm done with this I have to place an order for more books, probably a few more in the same series and something unrelated for variation.

Do any of you know any good, historically accurate, historical fiction? Preferably set in ancient Rome, but other settings are fine too if it's a really good book, or series.

I made it through Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, and The Dragon Reborn before I called it quits. I might pick it up again someday, but I find the writing too simplistic and contrived. It is entertaining, though.

As far as your request goes, I'd recommend Conn Iggulden's Emperor books, about Julius Caesar. They're not completely historically accurate, but what Iggulden does is write a foreward (or maybe afterward, I can't recall) and describes exactly what was inaccurate and why he changed it for his story. So, he knows his stuff, but chooses to change it for literary purposes, and he tells you everything he changes.

But then, I've read little to none of the fantasy literature you people claim to be better, but I guess that's a future project.

Thanks for the recommendation. One of my older brothers has those Conn Iggulden books, so I might borrow one, but they're in swedish and I prefer to read books in their original language as long as it's one I'm familiar with.

But then, I've read little to none of the fantasy literature you people claim to be better, but I guess that's a future project.

A lot of people start with Jordan. I started with George R.R. Martin, so unfortunately Jordan was a step down for me. But he is a great gateway into modern high fantasy literature.