The Books/Reading Thread

Not really that baseless, my friend.

But you don't really have any proof. I think you're being unfair, that's all.

For some reason, I'm sure that the general idea of fantasy is not about making you think or giving you some life lessons.

"For some reason." The truth is, you have no idea why authors write in a fantasy genre. If you read about most fantasy works, you'll find that they draw lots of information from history and mythology. The reason they do this is to ground their work in real life. They're drawing similarities between things that should hold certain symbolism for us, and so we can decipher what their intentions are in the work.

I will try to check it out. Thank you.

R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy is an incredible allegory concerning religion. It's really a genius reworking of Christian religion mixed with mythology, and is very inspired by the Crusades.

Yes, because I prefer to read books that are usually heavy for brains. And I read a lot of that shit, so Gaiman (or Marquez - magical realism, but it's still realism) is kind of relaxing for me, because his stuff is very "light" - and by this I'm "balancing my plate with classic and modern literature" ;)

I just think it's odd, that's all. Gaiman is always considered to be science fiction/fantasy. He blends his works with real life (as you say, "magical realism"); but many fantasy books do the same. They just don't blend two physical worlds. Most fantasy books borrow mythological ideas or beliefs from real life and convert them to work within their created worlds. It takes a lot of knowledge and creativity to create (good) fantasy stories.

EDIT: I'm not trying to create a big argument here, I'm just saying why I think fantasy is a legitimate genre.

Hmmmm...
To be honest with you - none of the fantasy books I've read (can't say I've read many of them though) was connected with history, mythology or culture. It was just about some fantastic bullshit and thats it. I can't even remember the names if you'll ask me. It's not like that stuff was totally shitty, it was okay, but I decided that it's not worth of my time. So I chose another kind of literature and am pretty happy with it.
Fantasy books are pretty popular so if my opinion about the whole stuff is totally wrong - that's for the best, because it'd prove me that this world is not that hopeless as I used to think. Oh well...
Thanks for the recs.

No problem. There are definitely bad fantasy books, although I'm not sure we would think they're bad for the same reasons. :cool: At any rate, the ones I suggested are very thoughtful and intelligent (albeit still very fantastical, so they might not be your thing).

R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy is an incredible allegory concerning religion. It's really a genius reworking of Christian religion mixed with mythology, and is very inspired by the Crusades.
Not to mention the heavy Dune influence. Dune was pretty much the most intelligent Sci-Fi book ever (don't quote me on this, if you have something better, refer it to me now). Also, SOIAF is a brutally realistic series. It basically crushes all the characters hopes and dreams without seeming overly ridiculous.

finished reading The Shining

currenty reading To Kill a Mockingbird

Not to mention the heavy Dune influence. Dune was pretty much the most intelligent Sci-Fi book ever (don't quote me on this, if you have something better, refer it to me now).

I've never read the Dune books, but I've read about them and agree that they probably are some of the most intelligent science fiction books; a very complex and rich story.

just finished 'return of the crimson guard' by ian cameron esslemont. fucking brilliant, definitely as good as erikson's weakest at least, so glad ICE is living up to him.

i agree with whoever equated fantasy with metal, both have a similar stigma attached which is usually warranted, but when done right they both own your fucking souls.

steve eriksons had the single largest impact on my life out of anything i've ever read, listened to, watched etc, i love that stuff so much i can't express it. everything about it. it isn't shakespeare, but i could not give a flying fuck.

scott bakkers great btw. and i like dune, don't love it though.

I have so much Dune stuff it's silly, I bet I'm also one of the only people who loves the originals and still really likes the new books.

Just finished this that I got the other day

51iYuowpg6L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

<3 Peter Hamilton.

scott bakkers great btw.

Bakker is just so awesome it's bloody ridiculous. He quickly became like my favourite fantasy author of all time (Tolkien and Howard not withstanding, obviously) in like no time. I picked up Neuropath as well, but I haven't had time to properly dig into it yet. Bakker is the kinda man who deserves my (and yours) undivided attention.

Haven't been reading for leisure much lately.

But I did just finish The Shattered Goddess by Darrell Schweitzer. Decent read, but nothing more. Pales vastly in comparison to his later work, The Mask of the Sorcerer, which is quite possibly my favorite novel.

Just before that I read a book called The Film Club which is a decent autobiography, very easy and enjoyable read but their isn't much too it tbqh.

Next up, the graphic novel Watchmen.

Bakker is just so awesome it's bloody ridiculous. He quickly became like my favourite fantasy author of all time (Tolkien and Howard not withstanding, obviously) in like no time. I picked up Neuropath as well, but I haven't had time to properly dig into it yet. Bakker is the kinda man who deserves my (and yours) undivided attention.

erikson's still better ;)

So? I can read books by authors who have not (to my knowledge) insulted the gods of metal instead.
Wow, just wow. You're not reading one of the most intelligent Sci-Fi books ever written because the author insulted a band you like. Grow up.