The Books/Reading Thread

Currently reading Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War. Can't believe it took me this long to get around to it. Simply stunning in its sense of scope and detail. Also working my way through The Portable Karl Marx.

Currently reading Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War. Can't believe it took me this long to get around to it. Simply stunning in its sense of scope and detail. Also working my way through The Portable Karl Marx.

If you want the Roman equivalent check out the works of Tacitus.

Will do. I've been meaning to get some primary Roman works anyways.

History
Livy - Ab Urbe Condita - Punic Wars
Tacitus - The Annals, Agricola
Sallust - The Conspiracy of Catiline

Poetry
VERGIL - THE AENEID
Horace - Roman Odes
Ovid - Metamorphoses
Catullus - full works

Philosophy
Lucretius - De Rerum Natura
Cicero - On the Nature of the Gods

I bought and read in about two days Paul Auster's Travels in the Scriptorium. It's typical Paul Auster. It's very existential and short (only about 140 pages). The novel is about an old man who wakes up in a room with no knowledge of his past or who he is, and he has to put it all together. Pretty interesting stuff. if you've read Auster's other works, you'll really like it...might not be the best first book of his to start off with if you haven't read him

I bought and read in about two days Paul Auster's Travels in the Scriptorium. It's typical Paul Auster. It's very existential and short (only about 140 pages). The novel is about an old man who wakes up in a room with no knowledge of his past or who he is, and he has to put it all together. Pretty interesting stuff. if you've read Auster's other works, you'll really like it...might not be the best first book of his to start off with if you haven't read him

This sounds really interesting. I've never read any of his stuff.

I'm reading a great book about the Korean War, by Max Hastings. This is the first dedicated book I've read concerning the Korean War and it is, so far, very interesting. I never knew just how inept and lethargic the American military were during the beginning of the war though I'm only halfway through the book where the Chinese begin their attack in earnest.

Anyone here read any hard sci-fi? All I've read is some Stephen Baxter and Iain M. Banks and I really enjoy both.

Not sure what you mean by 'hard' sci-fi, but Asimov is one of the best. The Foundation trilogy alone is amazing. Niven's also very good and Chalker has some exceptional material as well, although you should avoid his early books.