The Books/Reading Thread

My friend is studying English at university, he's constantly citing Shakespeare and has gotten me into it too. I'm currently reading Macbeth.

my emphasis is Rhetoric and Composition, so I don't really get to read novels :( :lol: but I do have to take a few literature courses as required by the program I'm in

I'm really hoping that schools will be interested in my proposed area of study. I'm applying to literature and cultural studies programs, most of which have been really cutting down on the number of applicants they accept.

So for English 101 I have to pick one topic and stick with it for the entire semester (i.e. for each paper). I'm probably going to do something related to Psychology or the founding of US government.

I'm really hoping that schools will be interested in my proposed area of study. I'm applying to literature and cultural studies programs, most of which have been really cutting down on the number of applicants they accept.

where'd you apply to? I almost thought about doing cultural studies

UChicago, UPittsburgh, Penn State, URochester, and I'm finalizing my application to University at Buffalo.

Chicago is a great school and very competitive, so that's my reach school. Rochester and Buffalo are both fall-back schools, but have great programs. UB especially has some really interesting professors. I've also been contemplating applying to Carnegie Mellon, but most of their professors have a focus on rhetoric actually; their literature program isn't that relevant to what I want to do, which is study contemporary literature, mostly American. Specifically, I want to study how Romanticism and twentieth century continental philosophy have influenced writers of today to pursue pressing ideas of western identity, environmentalism and technology.

My friend (the guy that did those Necrophagist+Arghoslent violin covers) went to Uchicago for the one year grad program and enjoyed it quite a bit. It such an awesome campus, though the downside is that its located in a ghetto area.

edit: Lol@ how this became the school/uni thread

Finished Singularity Sky. Now it's on to:

51XHW96BN3L.jpg

I've finished In the Country of Last Things and have started Neal Stephenson's Anathem, mainly because I couldn't wait any longer. :cool: I'm only about thirty pages in so far, so I'll comment more when I've gotten further.

anathem.jpg