The Books/Reading Thread

the_awakening.jpg

I've read this one. I suspect that it lies beneath the pillow of every hardcore feminist in the entire world. I found the result of the "awakening" a bit excessive, but effective to prove a point I guess.

I've read his book Singularity Sky and it was phenomenal; I'm looking forward to reading the sequel. I haven't heard about Halting State, but I'm led to believe that most of his material is superb. Please post what you think of it!

I am also led to believe this. He is touted as one of, if not THE, best sci-fi writers of this age...pretty big shoes to fill but I'm looking forward to it. I'll let this thread know.

I don't get how a dude could enjoy it really. It's like a "chick flick" about female autonomy/self-empowerment but in book form. Blech.

So I went to the library today in hopes of finding Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu's Carmilla, but instead checked out Moby Dick. It will probably take me all summer to fully read, but whatever.

So I went to the library today in hopes of finding Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu's Carmilla, but instead checked out Moby Dick. It will probably take me all summer to fully read, but whatever.

Yeah I just recently read Moby Dick. really liked it. listen to Ahab - call of the wretched sea, and Mastodon - Leviathan at the same time. :p

currently reading Three Kingdoms second of five volumes...

5108NBMBKTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

argggghhhhh this just came in the mail:

ligotti03_b.jpg

First official reprinting of this collection since the early 90s. I was lucky to get one of 250 signed hardcover copies. But I can't read it until I'm done with school and my papers (so a two week wait). ffffuuuuuuuuu

^ I'm really interested to hear what you think of that. I haven't read it, but lots of people who were fans of House of Leaves found it pretty lackluster and just overly contrived and pretentious; like he felt he had to somehow exceed the heights of madness he achieved with his previous effort.

Anyway, let us know your reaction.

interesting that fans would call Only Revolutions "pretentious" :rolleyes: I have it, read about the first 30 pages and went cross eyed. I'll get through it maybe this summer

Lunar Park, on the other hand, is absolutely phenomenal. Unlike anything else Bret Easton Ellis has written.

^ I'm really interested to hear what you think of that. I haven't read it, but lots of people who were fans of House of Leaves found it pretty lackluster and just overly contrived and pretentious; like he felt he had to somehow exceed the heights of madness he achieved with his previous effort.

Anyway, let us know your reaction.

So far it feels a lot like Kerouac. Not a Kerouac fan but the added levels of interest here should keep me propelling through it.

interesting that fans would call Only Revolutions "pretentious" :rolleyes:

Touché. :cool: What I understand from some of the reviews I've read is that many fans feel that, although Leaves comes off as pretty pretentious, there's an originality and genuineness to it that supercedes its elitism and erudition. Only Revolutions, on the other hand, seems much more like an effort to be difficult for difficulty's sake; almost as though he feels he has to top Leaves.

This is all based on things I've read online, not personal experience with the book; so I'm really interested in hearing what you think Andy.

EDIT: it is a road story, so the similarities to Kerouac make sense.

Lunar Park, on the other hand, is absolutely phenomenal. Unlike anything else Bret Easton Ellis has written.

I'm enjoying it so far, though I'm only about 20 pages through. Still reading House of Leaves as well, so I'll try and switch off between them.

How are Ellis' other books? So far I've only read American Psycho, but I also saw the movie of Rules of Attraction.

Less than Zero is by far one of the most depressing books I've ever read. that being said, I thought it was phenomenal. Living in Los Angeles, even though I was born when the book was written, really made the book resonate with me. Glamorama is pretty cool and takes an absurd left turn halfway through the novel. Haven't read the informers