The Books/Reading Thread

I officially began reading House of Leaves last night. My thoughts so far:

Weird as hell writing style, but I'm actually really enjoying it. The whole digressive aspect has an interesting effect on how one perceives/follows the story, with all the rambling and/or chapter-long footnotes and the 'nested framing' structure that creates this intricate conversation between so many different 'authors' and 'commentators'. Plus, the actual author (Danielewski) is very knowledgeable, and just has a lot of interesting stories/philosophies to share. Of course it gets a little silly how often the book screams "Please take me seriously!!!" but it's all in good fun. Great read so far.

Anyone got tips on classic Sci-fi books? All subgenres are pretty much ok. I've recently read Dune, Neuromancer and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I'm currently reading The Stars My Destination and got Holy Fire at home waiting. I'm considering reading more of the Dune saga but not sure how much of it is really worth reading, there are quite alot of books in it and I rather some other books in between.

^ I wasn't referring to the 'movie review' aspect of the book as screaming 'please take me seriously', it was more all that stuff in the intro where Truant is like 'These writings turned me insane... and if you don't watch out... THEY WILL DO THE SAME TO YOU'

Anyone got tips on classic Sci-fi books? All subgenres are pretty much ok. I've recently read Dune, Neuromancer and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I'm currently reading The Stars My Destination and got Holy Fire at home waiting. I'm considering reading more of the Dune saga but not sure how much of it is really worth reading, there are quite alot of books in it and I rather some other books in between.

Stranger in a Strange Land (Robert Heinlein)
The Left Hand of Darkness (Ursula LeGuin)

Those are the others I've read anyway. Both excellent.

^ I wasn't referring to the 'movie review' aspect of the book as screaming 'please take me seriously', it was more all that stuff in the intro where Truant is like 'These writings turned me insane... and if you don't watch out... THEY WILL DO THE SAME TO YOU'

Aahh okay.

Anyways, I'm reading (and almost done with)

jonathan-livingston-seagull.jpg

I officially began reading House of Leaves last night. My thoughts so far:

Weird as hell writing style, but I'm actually really enjoying it. The whole digressive aspect has an interesting effect on how one perceives/follows the story, with all the rambling and/or chapter-long footnotes and the 'nested framing' structure that creates this intricate conversation between so many different 'authors' and 'commentators'. Plus, the actual author (Danielewski) is very knowledgeable, and just has a lot of interesting stories/philosophies to share. Of course it gets a little silly how often the book screams "Please take me seriously!!!" but it's all in good fun. Great read so far.

Glad you're enjoying it! Although it ends somewhat mysteriously and vague, it's strangely satisfying.

Not sure if this is in your catalogue already, but Philip K. Dick's short stories are fantastic. You might look into a collection of those.

Other than that, Arthur C. Clarke is a must-read. Definitely check out Rendezvous With Rama.

^Good call.

Vernor Vinge's Fire Upon the Deep is also considered one of the best classic sci-fi books to deal with super advanced AI. I've never finished it. The book is comprised of two plot lines; one is incredible and very interesting, the other is strange and rather slow.

Well, I put aside Ruckley's Winterbirth. It wasn't bad, per se; but it wasn't as good as other recent fantasy novels that I've read. I'll pick it up again at a later date.

Instead, for my plane trip to Tampa last week, I decided to take this little gem:

2521_jpg_280x450_q85.jpg

I'm twenty pages from the end, and I've read the entire thing in two sittings. It's unfathomable how much humanity and ingenuity Auster can pack into a little over 200 pages. The book grabs hold and won't let go; an incredible story. I think I actually am enjoying it more than the last two stories of The New York Trilogy. It's just an epic, amazing novel.

Moon Palace will be the next Auster book I read.

Next on my list for now, however, is Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake.

So I was taking a look at ratemyprofessor for my Individual, Society, and Freedom class teacher and everyone stresses the fact you need to read all the material thoroughly, so here is a list of the books I need, and what would you guys recommend I start with first? I'm going to try and read them all this summer.

Antigone by Sophocles
Four Texts on Socrates by Plato and Aristophanes
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Dafoe
Emile and On the Social Contract by Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Persuasion by Jane Austen

Currently working through an introduction to math proofs book while balancing it all out with Wittgenstein's Tractatus, Paradise Lost, and Godel, Escher, Bach.

I know Zeph is studying classics to some degree at college, what would you (or anyone else, for that matter) recommend for a novice that has a passing interest in the literature and philosophy? I'm familiar with most of the big Greek philosophers and playwrights, but my knowledge of all things Roman is a kindergarten level and I feel like I should be branching out beyond an encyclopedic overview.

Currently working through an introduction to math proofs book while balancing it all out with Wittgenstein's Tractatus, Paradise Lost, and Godel, Escher, Bach.

I know Zeph is studying classics to some degree at college, what would you (or anyone else, for that matter) recommend for a novice that has a passing interest in the literature and philosophy? I'm familiar with most of the big Greek philosophers and playwrights, but my knowledge of all things Roman is a kindergarten level and I feel like I should be branching out beyond an encyclopedic overview.

Plato - Republic (very challenging but worth the effort)
Plutarch - Parallel Lives
Virgil - Aeneid
Xenophon - Anabasis
Aristotle - Nichomachean Ethics (good starting point for Aristotle)

Read Plato and Aristotle, though I need to brush up on Nicomachean Ethics because I always get lost in his writing. The others seem to be awesome and quintessential recommendations. Many thanks; I'll add them to my queue of shit to read through.

So I was taking a look at ratemyprofessor for my Individual, Society, and Freedom class teacher and everyone stresses the fact you need to read all the material thoroughly, so here is a list of the books I need, and what would you guys recommend I start with first? I'm going to try and read them all this summer.

Antigone by Sophocles
Four Texts on Socrates by Plato and Aristophanes
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Dafoe
Emile and On the Social Contract by Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Persuasion by Jane Austen

God, Jane Austen. Good luck with that.

Read Antigone. It's a fantastic tragic play, and it really sets the stage for Greek cosmological views and interpretations of existence within the universe. Also, that's the seed of Western literature (Greek, I mean).

Well, Vergil's Aeneid is essential to Roman literature, but not the easiest to dive into. That said, if you can take on the challenge, it's one of the most epic things you'll ever read (in all meanings: it's an epic poem, it has romance, tragedy, a journey through the underworld, heroic battles and some amazing quotes).

If you're looking for a somewhat easier, light-hearted read, there's always Metamorphoses (aka The Golden Ass) by Apuleius.

Well, the classics I'd divide into poetry, philosophy, and history, but they are not all mutually exclusive. But here are some of the essentials in each category.

Poetry:
Homer - Iliad & Odyssey
Vergil - Aeneid
Catullus - Complete Works
Horace - Roman Odes
Aristophanes - The Clouds (the first "comedy of ideas" starring Socrates! A great read!)

Philosophy:
Aristotle - Politics
Lucretius - De Rerum Natura
Plato - Symposium
Plato - Apology
Plato - Republic
Plotinus - Enneads

History:
Thucydides - The Peloponnesian War
Herodotus - The Histories
Tacitus - Annals

God, Jane Austen. Good luck with that.

Read Antigone. It's a fantastic tragic play, and it really sets the stage for Greek cosmological views and interpretations of existence within the universe. Also, that's the seed of Western literature (Greek, I mean).

Ah okay, and I have read Oedipus Rex.

Is Robinson Crusoe pretty good? It sounds interesting. And hopefully for the Jane Austen I can make a good use of Sparknotes, but I'm not sure if it's on there.