The Books/Reading Thread

Yeah I read it myself... YAWN. More stuff that sounds great on paper but doesn't and has never achieved what its aims are in reality.

So I've read about 1/3 of The Simulacra by Philip K Dick and I think it is great so far, he is one of the better scifi writers out there imo, he just touches alot of really weird and totally out there topics and somehow makes it atleast somewhat believable.

Re-reading through 3 different books at the moment (too poor to buy more literature right now). War & Peace, Stephen King's IT, and The House of Leaves. More so House of Leaves than the other 2.

Ok so just recently I found time to pick up American Psycho and House of Leaves (school was kicking my ass). I finished American Psycho and am currently halfway through House of Leaves. Good shit. After I finish HoL I need to read Snow Crash.

I expect to have HoL and Snow Crash finished before the end of this semester so I went ahead and purchased this book for $2, it's a hardcover too:

116478.jpg

Yeah I read it myself... YAWN. More stuff that sounds great on paper but doesn't and has never achieved what its aims are in reality.

But it doesn't all sound great on paper. I've read, rather listened to Capital on audiobook and enjoyed parts of it (namely where I agree with Marx) but a lot of his ideas such as the orthodox Marxian Labour Theory of Value result in an absurd pseudo-science of macroeconomics.

Regardless, he's an important thinker.

I actually have to read American Psycho for one of my classes (Representations of Finance in 20th Century Literature). I'm pumped, never read it before.

wow. I've always wanted to teach it, but I figured it was one of those books you're not supposed to (ethically) haha. When you get down to it and really analyze the text and structure, it's pretty brilliant

I think it'll be a book that's widely taught in maybe a decade or so. My professor for this class really likes it, and I also read a book recently (The Shape of the Signifier) that analyzes it to a pretty decent extent. It seems like there's definitely a lot there to talk about.

finaly finished- For Whom the Bell Tolls. Been reading that sucker for months, too busy with school.
Probably gonna read the Shining next... or maybe a couple of short things first.