The Books/Reading Thread

I just finished reading the whole of Lucan's Pharsalia in Latin, and now I'm tackling Statius' Thebaid. I think I'll read two or three books out of the twelve, since I want to spend the rest of the summer working on my thesis. It's all pertinent, but it's time I organize my ideas into something more cohesive.

About half way through Lonesome Dove and I must say a great alternate title for this would be "Miserable Women Drive a Bunch of Men Insane While Going to Montana" I swear 90% of the plot stems from women getting bored, marrying men they don't love and leaving them, stirring up trouble when it's not their business, having general problems associated with being a whore and generally just being bitches.

Poor old Gus just wants to drink his whiskey, eat his biscuits and get a good poke every now and then but all these women and Woodrow keep causing him trouble.

Is anyone here aware of this Black Metal Symposium which took place in New York last December? anyway all the essays that were presented have been compiled for this book 'Hideous Gnosis: Black Metal Theory Symposium I',I have it on order and am looking forward to reading it.Here's some of the contents.
Essays and documents related to Hideous Gnosis, a symposium on black metal theory, which took place on December 12, 2009 in Brooklyn, NY. Expanded and Revised. "Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - H.P. Lovecraft "Poison yourself . . . with thought" - Arizmenda CONTENTS: Steven Shakespeare, "The Light that Illuminates Itself, the Dark that Soils Itself: Blackened Notes from Schelling's Underground." Erik Butler, "The Counter-Reformation in Stone and Metal: Spiritual Substances." Scott Wilson, "BAsileus philosoPHOrum METaloricum." Hunter Hunt-Hendrix, "Transcendental Black Metal." Nicola Masciandaro, "Anti-Cosmosis: Black Mahapralaya." Joseph Russo, "Perpetue Putesco - Perpetually I Putrefy." Benjamin Noys, "'Remain True to the Earth!': Remarks on the Politics of Black Metal." Evan Calder Williams, "The Headless Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Brandon Stosuy, "Meaningful Leaning Mess." Aspasia Stephanou, "Playing Wolves and Red Riding Hoods in Black Metal." Anthony Sciscione, "'Goatsteps Behind My Steps . . .': Black Metal and Ritual Renewal." Eugene Thacker, "Three Questions on Demonology." Niall Scott, "Black Confessions and Absu-lution." DOCUMENTS: Lionel Maunz, Pineal Eye; Oyku Tekten, Symposium Photographs; Scott Wilson, "Pop Journalism and the Passion for Ignorance"; Karlynn Holland, Sin Eater I-V; Nicola Masciandaro and Reza Negarestani, Black Metal Commentary; Black Metal Theory Blog Comments; Letter from Andrew White; E.S.S.E, Murder Devour I.

I had a quick look but i'd rather wait until I get the book.I was a bit sceptical about it at first.The last thing I want is to be reading some academic rambling about BM but it has had some excellent reviews.

The excerpts I've read have the verbosity of over the top academic writing; and it seems like it focuses way too much on making ideological connections that don't really exist. Not too mention there's far too much post-2000 crap highlighted. Only 20th century black metal is real.

It's still probably worth reading at the very least. I'll get around to it soon.

Yeah I agree and am still sceptical but i've gone and brought it so i'll most likely read it(or try to) at some stage but i've got alot of new weird fiction books to read so i'll see how it goes when I get it.Some of, if not most of it does seem a bit pretentious and at the very least hopefully it'll be a laugh.Indeed only 20th century BM is real!

Just ordered 'Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places' by Brad Steiger.It's supposedly the most complete compendium of true/reported hauntings you can buy.Also ordered Vols.1,2 and 3 of the Darklore books.

Finished Mieville's The City and the City. Very good read, not sure if I liked it better than Perdido Street Station. The element of the grotesque was absent, and the fantastical was minimal, and appeared only in the kind of subtle surrealism/dream imagery that dominates most noir fiction. Also, there is the "fairy tale" element of the novel, which sets up most of the story, but I'll leave that little gem for those who choose to pick it up. :cool:

As for now, I'm reading and absolutely loving Dan Simmons's The Terror. For those who enjoy historical fiction with a horror/supernatural twist, this is right up your alley. And despite it's length, it really does a good job of grabbing your attention. Pretty terrifying as well.

terror_simmons.jpg

I recently finished Lord of the Flies and didn't really enjoy it. It never really managed to engage me. However, I'm currently about halfway through Dracula and I'm really enjoying it.

I currently own, and am planning to read, Black Angel by Graham Masterton, The Black Angel by John Connolly and Stephen King's It. Once I'm finished with these, I'm thinking of picking up the Millennium Trilogy and American Psycho.

Finished The Terror; very good historical fiction with a supernatural twist, but not always the easiest read. I'm not saying it's repetitive in a badly-written way, but the incessant and relentless battery of hopeless far-northern isolation and slow death is pretty difficult to bear sometimes.

Now I'm taking a break from fiction (seeing as how I start classes today and need to start formulating ideas for my thesis) and I'm concentrating on Walter Benn Michaels's The Shape of the Signifier. I would recommend it to anyone interested in contemporary literary theory, especially concerning postmodernism and poststructuralism and ideas of what constitutes a language and what it means to read/write/interpret a language. Michaels starts with ideas proposed by Fukuyama and Huntington after the Cold War, and then moves on to show how these ideas have evolved in literature written during that time and since then. Lots of science fiction sources are utilized, for those interested.

k7776.gif