The Books/Reading Thread

@TageRyche

i actually like "police procedurals" when it's an open-ended thing where you have 30 books that all have the same cop in them
i like Harry Bosh and Lincoln Rhyme and the first 5-or-6 Anita Blake books are like this (before she ends her self-imposed-celibacy with weird magic-shit making her acquire a male-harem)

I'm a big fan of the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly. I've gotten to review the last two books in the series for Mystery Scene magazine.

Not really my thing, but reading for my juniors' tutorial. Never was a big fan of the postwar suburbanites, Roth, Cheever, Updike, Bellow, etc., but that's not to say I haven't enjoyed certain works. We'll see how this one goes.

41wNWn%2B0R1L._SX334_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

5118euWtCCL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Just wrapped this one up. The background and detail were insane. It delved deeply into the experiences all the players had in World War I, just before the British Everest expeditions started. Well worth your time if that's your cup of Darjeeling tea.

I'm still reading Don Quixote (Smollett's translation) and these bits from the Don reminded me of @FEZZILLA, which just makes it even funnier:

I give thanks to God who bestowed upon me a mild and compassionate disposition, ever inclined to do good to all mankind, and harm to no person whatever.
What confirms me in this opinion is, that the ape answers no questions but such as regard the past and present time: now the devil's understanding reaches no farther; what is to come he knows only by conjecture, and that, not always; for, it is the attribute of God alone, to know times and seasons: to him there is neither past nor future, but, all things are ever present to his eyes. This being the case, as doubtless it is, the ape certainly speaks from the inspiration of the devil

Reactions: Allfader
Lately I've gotten into HP Lovecraft. Never read his stuff before recently, which is strange because it's the sort of stuff that I would've really gotten into back when I was younger. Anyway, my favorite of his is "At the Mountains of Madness," which is also the first one that I read.

Also, anybody ever read A Canticle for Leibowitz? I think that was the last novel that I read and I thought it was amazing. Otherwise, I just spend my time reading academic stuff. Kinda miss the days when I was a teenager and I could spend hours just reading whatever the hell I wanted. :(

The ASOIAF fanbase is abuzz with ancticipation. DNS records for thewindsofwinter.com have been updated for the first time in ages. Changes in the source code of GRRM's blog suggest it's gearing up for a big update. Could an announcement be around the corner?