The Books/Reading Thread

I read the first 3 books of the "Hyperion" series, by Dan Simmons, and rather quickly too. I am now stuck on Rise of Endymion. I just lost the will to read. Not a bad book, it is all internal lack of motivation.

still in the early stages of The Wheel of Time Book 1: Eye of the World

someone please tell me this thing gets interesting. all these damn weird names makes the Silmarillion seem easy. fucking gleeman, rand, bran al vere, egwene....just call them Jason, Mike, and Pam for fucks sake

maybe i should go back to clive barker....

Haha i read 16-17 something books of that series and it kicks ass from time to time. The bad thing is that i took a break from it for a while and now i cant remember which book i read last = wasted years:(.

Just picked up:
Johannes kepler:Mysterium Cosmogrphicum
Harmonicus Mundi
Cascius Ptolemy:Tetrabiblos and harmonics

Ill start with Harmonicus Mundi.

And if your wondering bout these books, search Sacred Geometry if interested. They are both an extension of the idea related to music

Now on R. Scott Bakker's second book of his Prince of Nothing trilogy: The Warrior Prophet.

I'm becoming more and more impressed with Bakker as I read. The Darkness That Comes Before was one of the best fantasy books I ever read; the writing, characterization, storyline, creation of his world... all that blew me away. It is one of the most intellectual, philosophical and psychological fantasy reads I've ever encountered. Highly recommended.

Still reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra and Choke

But I have started reading this as well:

51RBXFDHF8L._SS500_.jpg

usually Blood Meridian is regarded as his best...but I eagerly anticipate reading it

I'd consider No Country and The Road both solid efforts but neither approaches Blood Meridian in my opinion. Suttree is Ebert's favorite. All The Pretty Horses is also excellent, albeit atypically romantic. Of his earlier work, Outer Dark is the finest, an interesting hybrid of horror and western aesthetics set in Appalachia.

Still reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra and Choke

But I have started reading this as well:

51RBXFDHF8L._SS500_.jpg

Since I know your Wall Street freak like me I'll make a couple of recommendations:

Den of Thieves by James B. Stewart

Reminisces of a Stock Operator by Edwin Lefevre

Other then that I'm currently reading :

Perfume - The story of a murderer by Patrick Suskind

Yeah, I've seen several recommendations for Den of Thieves. I have so many books in the on deck circle so to speak that it will have to wait. I saw a book on the Sicilian mafia that looked pretty interesting the other day. It was only 10 bucks and I should have picked it up.

Yeah, I've seen several recommendations for Den of Thieves. I have so many books in the on deck circle so to speak that it will have to wait. I saw a book on the Sicilian mafia that looked pretty interesting the other day. It was only 10 bucks and I should have picked it up.
You can buy a cheap used copy on Amazon or other sites.. probably for a couple of bucks.. awesome book.... it won the Pulitzer Prize in 1988... long book though.. 400 + pages... as for the Sicilian Mafia.. and the Mob in general.. im a Mob freak and have read so many books on them if you want to know if a book is good or not... a good Sicilian Mafia book is The Last Days of the Sicilian Mafia by Robert Blumenthal

Perfume is an incredible book IMO. I read it on the plane to germany in one sitting.
Yes it is so far... I am quite surprised at how good it is and I'm surprised I never heard of it before considering it came out in like 1985. Me and a friend were watching a movie on DVD and it had a preview for the movie Perfume based on the book... she then told me i must read that book and such... and i said someday i will.. but she bought it for me anyways and am quite enjoying it... this guy is a great writer... I hope other people here on the board get this book...

I am currently about 100 pages into Darrell Schweitzer's Mask of the Sorcerer. It's good stuff, especially for the fantasy genre (of which I am largely unfamiliar but this book seems to have a very genuine character that I wouldn't normally associate with the genre).

I have also done a lot of reading for school including Cultural Theory, Political Economy (Smythe, Meehan et al), Celebratory perspectives on the Information Age, and Network Theory. As well as some stuff like Brecht, Bordwell and such for my film Theory class. Most of it is an interesting read I find but, as with much academic writing, there is a tendency to get lost in the jargon.

I'd consider No Country and The Road both solid efforts but neither approaches Blood Meridian in my opinion. Suttree is Ebert's favorite. All The Pretty Horses is also excellent, albeit atypically romantic. Of his earlier work, Outer Dark is the finest, an interesting hybrid of horror and western aesthetics set in Appalachia.

I finished No Country and enjoyed it. I thought the film did a good job with the novel, but I wish the film had included a couple of scenes from the book. whatever.

I've also read Child of God...nothing like necrophiliac hermit stories.

I probably won't get to The Road until after the semester is over.

I finished No Country and enjoyed it. I thought the film did a good job with the novel, but I wish the film had included a couple of scenes from the book. whatever.

I've also read Child of God...nothing like necrophiliac hermit stories.

I probably won't get to The Road until after the semester is over.

I've read all his stuff and I don't feel it was a waste of time

One of the few authors I can say the latter for