The Books/Reading Thread

Just ordered. Can't wait to get my hands on it, Putin has accomplished some great things over the last ten years and I've been meaning to read up on him more for some time.

Currently reading:

40014457.JPG

This one is a collection of a bunch of classic market anarchist writings as well as more recent writings on the topic. They mainly deal with theoretical issues concerning the feasibility, viability, and efficiency of private legal systems and law enforcement. Much of it is fairly abstract economic and legal theorizing, but there is also some stuff on the history of individualist anarchism and some interesting real-world case studies.

8855595.jpg

This is an extensive documentation of the history of government intervention in the economy and the personal lives of citizens in the US, and its consequences. The book is combative to an extent that is unusual for an academic work. Higgs' moral indignation towards government is a bit heavy-handed at times but there's a lot of useful information in this book.

LastSeason.jpg

True story of Randy Morgenson, a 30 year veteran of the National Park Services who wanders off one day and tells nobody. After four days of not checking in, a search and rescue is planned for a search and rescue ranger who knew Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Forests better than anybody else. The big issue at the heart of the book is how do you find somebody who doesn't want to be found? It's a really interesting book if you're an outdoors fan (like myself). The book is very romantic, and the narrative is very strong and readable.

finished reading this. absolutely loved it. made me want to become a national park services backcountry ranger. great stuff.

I also read this:

416%2BLh1UA%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

A King of Infinite Space by Tyler Dilts. He was my creative writing novel professor, and this is his first book. It's a police procedural novel about a murdered high school english teacher in long beach. It's pretty true to life in its depiction of police work; Dilts spent a good amount of time riding around with LBPD and other police officers and detectives. it's also cool to read a book by somebody other than bukowski or fante that takes place in the cities I live in and love. all in all, a really solid read and recommended for anybody who loves murder mysteries

51C1RK7W2YL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Saw a (supposedly) good condition used copy of this on Amazon for about $1.50, so I had to pick it up.

Received this a few days ago, and I can barely put it down. Green writes engagingly without sacrificing detail, and he always cuts through the rhetoric to the heart of any matter. If the second half of the book is anything like the first, this is going to end up as one of my favorite works.

Now that you mention it, I actually have read one of Green's works for the one history course I ever took in college, and I have to agree that his writing style is enjoyable. F. W. Walbank was also a good writer.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Actium-Historical-Evolution-Hellenistic/dp/0520083490/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251384546&sr=1-6[/ame]
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hellenistic-World-Revised-F-Walbank/dp/0674387260/ref=pd_sim_b_6[/ame]