The Books/Reading Thread

currently reading..

9780393329438_300.jpg

The second reader for my thesis is a philosophy professor at my university, but he's never read Blood Meridian (which my thesis is on). So he's been reading it in his spare time, and now he loves it and wants to use it to teach his Heidegger class. The topic of my theis has been to observe the Heideggerian aspects of the novel and how McCarthy uses them to make a point on humanity's modern technological and ecological perspectives. Spreading the love for McCarthy and his genius!

EDIT: currently reading this; a great sci-fi read about technological singularity.
n5398.jpg

Getting back into F. Scott Fitzgerald as of late. Not so much the novels, (although I have to re-read The Beautiful and Damned at some point) but short stories, essays and things of the like. I just started on A Life In Letters, a collection of letters to family, his agents/publishers, friends (including Hemingway), ect... As close as you'll get to an autobiography.

Getting back into F. Scott Fitzgerald as of late. Not so much the novels, (although I have to re-read The Beautiful and Damned at some point) but short stories, essays and things of the like. I just started on A Life In Letters, a collection of letters to family, his agents/publishers, friends (including Hemingway), ect... As close as you'll get to an autobiography.

I always liked Fitzgerald. There's a book by Nathanael West called The Day of the Locust that's very akin to Fitzgerald, and a great read.

I always liked Fitzgerald. There's a book by Nathanael West called The Day of the Locust that's very akin to Fitzgerald, and a great read.
I'll keep that title in mind. It took me the longest time to get into Fitzgerald, I didn't get his work at first. But after watching a bio on him in high school, I became fascinated, re-read Gatsby, read the rest of the novels. To me, his masterpiece is Tender Is The Night. Something about that one hit me hard.

get back to editing and prefacing lovecraft stories!

anyway. I read Kafka's "In the Penal Colony" the other night. The first bit of reading I've had outside of school reading. I liked it...need to read more kafka

Finished The Gathering Storm. Thought it was good. Sanderson is a vastly better writer than Jordan.

Started The Forever War by Dexter Filkins. It's basically his recollections as a journalist in Afghanistan. My mom gave it to me for Christmas last year but I was lazy. It's monumentally fucking depressing so far, and I kind of doubt it's going to get any more cheerful. It's reminding me why I like to read pulpy fantasy novels.

That's what initially drew my attention! :lol: I looked up S.T. Joshi on wikipedia just a bit ago and evidently I need to pick up a few of his own works. Sounds like an interesting fellow, he writes/edits or has written/edited for like 8 different Lovecraft-centered magazines! :lol:

anyway. I read Kafka's "In the Penal Colony" the other night. The first bit of reading I've had outside of school reading. I liked it...need to read more kafka

I have a complete collection of Kafka's stories that I found in a used book store for three dollars, but I've only read The Metamorphosis. I need to look back through it when I have the time.

Recently purchased a collection of Borges's short stories as well. I love the bit of Borges that I've read; can't wait to delve into this more.

Finished Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption. Now I have to request American Psycho at my library so I can read that.

American Psycho is such an amazing book. Easily one of the most extremely well written novels of the twentieth century

That's what initially drew my attention! :lol: I looked up S.T. Joshi on wikipedia just a bit ago and evidently I need to pick up a few of his own works. Sounds like an interesting fellow, he writes/edits or has written/edited for like 8 different Lovecraft-centered magazines! :lol:

yeah S.T. Joshi is pretty much THE lovecraftian scholar. he's also written a couple of things on thomas ligotti...joshi's a good man

I have a complete collection of Kafka's stories that I found in a used book store for three dollars, but I've only read The Metamorphosis. I need to look back through it when I have the time.

Recently purchased a collection of Borges's short stories as well. I love the bit of Borges that I've read; can't wait to delve into this more.

Yeah, the Kafka collection I have is all of his short stories. It's a really good collection. As far as Borges goes, I only have Labyrinths...it's been a while since I read anything by him, but I remember liking it