The CURRENTLY LISTENING TO thread

Reheard the Spawn of Possession again yesterday - just too much going on there to grasp it first time through.

Starting today with some instrumental power metal - easy listening:

294690.jpg

Thrash time - curious 'blackened' vocals:

vektor-outer-isolation-20111026021441.jpg

The instrumental chops are there - but the vocals leave me without choice but to consigh this to the "Discard" pile.

Ugh - one of those afternoons. Couldn't get into anything. I thought I had something with Enthrope's latest - but got bored.

Then tried Enslaved - and I cannot get past black metal vocals, which is why that genre just doesn't do anything for me.

Thoughts I'd lighten things up with Dark Moor's latest - very quickly bored again.

Even Mastodon didn't do it.

Another day tomorrow - going to lean towards the melo/tech/prog death metal side, I think. We'll see.

That is a phenomenal first CD - great choice!

Along those same lines, I decided to do progressive metal to start the day:

seventh-wonder-the-great-escape.jpg

What a great band - every one of their efforts blows me away every time I hear it! So glad I started on this positive note today!

Very tough to be objective after spending the morning with Seventh Wonder.

So I tried on Cormorant - and the black metal vocals immediately turned me off.

Next up was Ulcerate's newest - and it was just too abstract for me. The total absence of any kind of melody just isn't me - even Spawn of Possession have a theme you can follow.

However, this work already has me thinking that just one listen won't do - we'll see:

barren-earth-curse-of-the-red-river.jpg