Dark fucking Throne!

It tends to happen to me that I won't listen to an album for about a year and I will come back and listen to it and think it is amazing. That happened with Corrosion of Conformity and now they are one of my favorites.

That's happened to me with so many things it's not funny. I'm considering just not stating my opinion on anything until a year after I've bought it, as it tends to change.

I like the first four albums, the rest are weak in comparison.

FOAD is really great, although some songs are significantly better than others. I've found that I have no interest in hearing ABITNS because of the rush job that resulted in death metal posing as black and the failure of the album to achieve the band's goal.

I feel dumb. Thanks Mike!

Anyway, Soulside Journey is very easily my favorite by the band, but I can't get into their seminal BM work as much as I'd like to. I will keep trying, but I first heard it four years ago and have been trying intermittently ever since...fail.

I've found that I have no interest in hearing ABITNS because of the rush job that resulted in death metal posing as black and the failure of the album to achieve the band's goal.
I don't know, I think A Blaze in the Northern Sky is a fantastic album. You can really hear the Hellhammer/Celtic Frost influence in some of the riffs and they're down right legendary! Plus the ending of Paragon Belial is brilliant. I say give it a shot.

I only have the mid-period stuff from them (which is amazing) but I think it's pretty fuckin' interesting that they started including crust punk on their albums...

Trying to get into them... Right now I'm listening to A Blaze In The Nothern Sky, and I like it, but nothing (for me) really says: classic or great.. I guess it needs to grow on me.

How does Under A Funeral Moon compare to Transylvanian Hunger? I own the latter, with the former on my to-buy list. I've been considering making it a higher priority though.

UAFM is a lot better imo, it really created the sound, riffs and atmosphere of the true black metal genre. It's one of those timeless release, I can't get bored of it.

Most people prefer Transylvanian Hunger to it. I say it's like most people prefer Slayer's Reign in Blood, I think Hell Awaits is much better.

THEN NEXT THOUSAND YEARS ARE OURRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I`ve loved them ever since I tripped by myself and put on "A Blaze In The Northern Sky"

Okay this thread's been dormant for a while, and so it's time to ressurrect it :) - I'm kinda proud of it actually, it's turned into a long thread and the fights have been minimal... Just goes to show much Fenriz & Culto fucking rule.

I just received FOAD in the mail this evening.

The verdict is: :kickass:

Like Hubster said, the attitude on this disc is really great.It really makes me want to get rowdy,headbang, smash shit, and shout along... CHUUURCH OF REAL METAL!!!!

Fucking OATH! I find that with all their records. Half their success imo is their attitude. Without it, their music, despite its simplicity, would be nothing.

hate them ftw.

Ooooh yeah. One of my favourite albums (and the only one I can play a song off so far :lol:). Plus Fucked Up And Ready To Die is true black metal as black metal can get imo. Were I to choose one song to represent black metal, that would definitely be on the list :kickass:

Darkthrone are one of those very consistently good bands despite changing their sound so many times throughout their career.

Soooo in agreeance on this one. Perfectly stated. I almost find in some ways that many of their works cannot be compared to one another. The only thing which has really remained consistent has been the attitude, and as said earlier, this makes whatever they do successful. It's kinda annoying how so many people slag everything after the first four. A real shame imo.

Darkthrone was one of those bands that took me a while to get into. About 6 years ago I listened to Transylvanian Hunger and Soulside Journey and neither did much for me but a couple years later I listened to them again and I was completely blown away. TH is pretty much perfect black metal, and SJ comes pretty close to being perfect death metal imo. I don't really care for their later stuff; I wouldn't recommend it. I don't know how much you're into black metal at this point but the more you get into it the more you'll learn to love Darkthrone, especially the stuff from their classic period. I guarantee it.

Agreed (aside from the comments post-first four records). Oddly enough, I hated Darkthrone for a number of years, and then one day, something just clicked, and ever since... fuck, I honestly believe they blow away 99% of current day black metal bands, still. Sometimes I feel like everyone is just playing catchup, and these two beer drinking metal nerds are years ahead of the pack.

Now, a question for you all: how do you think Ted compares to other vocalists in Black Metal? Consider various performances across albums (Panzerfaust being a brilliant one). I really think Culto is one of the most under-rated black metal vocalists there is. He's fucking superb and nekro as fuck.

Still one of the greatest bands ever. That's really all I have to say about that.

Now, a question for you all: how do you think Ted compares to other vocalists in Black Metal? Consider various performances across albums (Panzerfaust being a brilliant one). I really think Culto is one of the most under-rated black metal vocalists there is. He's fucking superb and nekro as fuck.

I like how he changes his vocal style (at least a little bit) on each album. His best performance is on Panzerfaust imo.

nocturno culto is pretty clearly legendary, no arguments

i was at wacken when satyricon+nocturno culto played kaatharian life code, the hordes of nebulah, transilvanian hunger and under a funeral moon all in a row, everything about that was pretty much perfect