The Definitive Rose of Sharyn DI + Backing

Sorry for the bump... I actually downloaded these DIs like ages ago but never actually did anything with them (they were left intact in their original ZIP file, left to rot on the hard disk in my DAW) until I decided to do a vocal cover when I found out that Howard Jones left the band yesterday...

This is a quick job. Everything from unpacking the DIs, to mixing, resequencing the drums, replaying the bass and doing the vocals and the video, took about an hour and a half total.

Guitar signal chain is TS808, Solo C head, Poulin LeCab with catharsis impulses (you know, the usual stuff).

Mastering chain is SSL comp -> Voxengo Elephant -> evenhorizon -> Slate Digital FGX

My vocal signal chain is SM58 -> Line 6 Pod X3 Pro (yes I record my vocals through a Pod XD) heavily compressed up front on the Pod before going into the DAW. Then post processing on the vocals is just some subtractive EQ, delay, reverb and some final compression, in that order.

Vocal recorded in 1 take, no edits, no pitch correction (you can hear some pitching problems in the clean singing)... I didn't want to fix them to maintain that raw, live feel.

(There is 1 part in the middle of the song where I layered a second vocal on top because it would suck without the layer... but otherwise the whole thing is pretty much 1 take with no editing)

Last edited by a moderator:
http://db.tt/mCG0FKfw

Another ROS reamp utilizing the resonation engine onboard the Eleven Rack, but in a specific way that makes it really come forward. Just select your "Outputs to Amp" as "Amp Output" and light up the "RESO" button and then plug a cable into the front amp out to increase the resonation. No outboard compression used. Just Eleven Rack direct this time.

http://db.tt/mCG0FKfw

Another ROS reamp utilizing the resonation engine onboard the Eleven Rack, but in a specific way that makes it really come forward. Just select your "Outputs to Amp" as "Amp Output" and light up the "RESO" button and then plug a cable into the front amp out to increase the resonation. No outboard compression used. Just Eleven Rack direct this time.

Not bad man, the guitars sound really tinny though, kinda like an out of phase mic.

Decided to do a quick mix!

Amps: Various LePou
Cab Impulses: Alu's Sperimental - NGL Pro & the Framus
Used various Waves plugins, EQ & Breverb 2 on the clean guitars.

Might have used a tad too much compression, did it all in one sitting and my ears were playing tricks on me.

Hey Folks,
as this is my first post here, I want to say "hello". I´M Daniel from Braunschweig/Germany and have been reading here for long time.
Today, I decided to reamp these great tracks and registered here, to have the chance, to show it to you...

Signal Chain was:
DAW - Redeye 3D - Mesa Mark V (3rd Channel - Extreme Mode) - Mesa 2x12 vertical Recto Cab - SM57 - FireFace 400 Pre - DAW

Just applied a LoPass Filter with 6dB slope at 7kHz for the distorted gtrs. That´s it...

Here you go:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34576704/Rose of Sharyn by DJ.mp3

Sorry for the bump... I actually downloaded these DIs like ages ago but never actually did anything with them (they were left intact in their original ZIP file, left to rot on the hard disk in my DAW) until I decided to do a vocal cover when I found out that Howard Jones left the band yesterday...

This is a quick job. Everything from unpacking the DIs, to mixing, resequencing the drums, replaying the bass and doing the vocals and the video, took about an hour and a half total.

Guitar signal chain is TS808, Solo C head, Poulin LeCab with catharsis impulses (you know, the usual stuff).

Mastering chain is SSL comp -> Voxengo Elephant -> evenhorizon -> Slate Digital FGX

My vocal signal chain is SM58 -> Line 6 Pod X3 Pro (yes I record my vocals through a Pod XD) heavily compressed up front on the Pod before going into the DAW. Then post processing on the vocals is just some subtractive EQ, delay, reverb and some final compression, in that order.

Vocal recorded in 1 take, no edits, no pitch correction (you can hear some pitching problems in the clean singing)... I didn't want to fix them to maintain that raw, live feel.

(There is 1 part in the middle of the song where I layered a second vocal on top because it would suck without the layer... but otherwise the whole thing is pretty much 1 take with no editing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PIibfg3NOM

can you post your raw vocal track? sounds great.

This was fun, thanks for sharing the DI files. Here is my test.

Jeff,
When I look at your DI's they really look like there's a limiter used, but I read in your first post it's just raw. I also think there's quite some distortion coming from your EMG, do you pick really hard or something? My signal from my EMG 81 looks more dynamic, just like passive pickups and the DI's from a friend as well. Just wondering, because your DI's still sound a bit better than what I'm getting from mine.

I am with Calippo on this one. Your DIs do not look "normal" or unprocessed. A friend of mine has the same pickups with a heavy picking style and his DIs look like mine, all over the place and "spikey." I record on a Les Paul Studio and Gibson SG Gothic (Yes, the actual Gibson one, not the Epi) The only way I can get close to your DIs is if I use a limiter and EQ my DIs before they hits anything in the chain.

And as Calippo your DIs give a better end result than our "dry" ones. If you are doing anything to them we would appreciate the info. Thanks.

Anyway I listened to the first 4 or 5 pages of mixes and am glad to see that the VST stuff stacks up to the actual amps/cabs. I can only record DIs and apply effects since I lack a place to record my VHT :/