The DTB tour stops after December 8th

Prog Maiden said:
I'll second this! I happen to be a huge Symphony X fan, and I also like some of Devin's material. I try to have a very open mind about a band and even if they aren't my thing, I would still be respectful. I would never boo anyone.

I wouldn't do it, everything I posted here was written with a bit of sarcasm and irony, so make up your mind, I've been through some posts on the Symphony x forum and "respect" is not exactly the right word that came to my mind when I started to read some reviews about Dev and co ...

And as for the webmaster... "Do you think that it's logical to act like a complete asshole just because you don't like a band" Tell me how you didn't just contradict yourself please? You're being rather unprofessional.

I don't contradict myself, as I told you I wouldn't insult a band onstage even if it was Guns n roses. Now you tell me I'm unprofessional, and you're right I'm not a professional, just a fan that does everything for free merchandise (HDR site, RVP drums site, DTB tee shirt...etc), just because I'm friend with Dev, Tracy and Ryan and just because it's a lot of fun to do. I don't make money on this, and I don't want money...!!![/quote]

So Symphony X isn't your thing. They were nice enough to take Devin along on this tour and I happen to know that the band even likes some of Devin's material, so maybe you should treat them with a little respect.

Thank you SYMPHONY X to help the third world underground bands like the DTB. Thank you to allow them to play THEIR music on stage, even if Dev is an illegal alien when it comes to progressive music. From a fan, THANK YOU

There's always going to be some assholes out there. That's no reason for you to act like one too.

So go and and post what you just said in the SYMPHONY X forum, it will be usefull to some assholes then...

My question to you, oldlyonfreak, is why, if you hate how some SyX fans got towards Devin, allow yourself to stoop down to the same level of insults towards both SyX and their fans?

Not their fans, just the assholes that insulted him. As I posted here before, imagine your state of mind when you are insulted just because you're here to entertain people...Now I don't have problems with people that don't like Dev's music, they can listen to Celine Dion or Slayer if they want. And I don't insult SYMPHONY X, find a line where I say that your heroes are stupid assholes or something like that...I even wrote that I can enjoy some of their stuff. I just claim that the demonstrative music is far from the real progressive style : If you want real progressive music then check old Genesis stuff ( the "Selling england by the pound","Duke" or "the lamb lies down on broadway" records) and you will understand the difference between "musical masturbation" and "musicality"

Especially being sort of a spokesperson for Devin, it really doesn't show a high level of tact or professionalism on your part.

I'm not a spokeperson for Devin, Devin speaks for himself,I'm just disgusted about how this tour became horrible for him and the guys after a few weeks...I'm just disappointed.

To finish, as someone posted here above, We don't have the right to use this communauty for flame wars, so I will shut my mouth now. Spread the word about your favourite band, no matter the style, just show more respect

OfSinsAndShred said:
Wow, touchy. I think it was pretty unprofessional the way Devin acted. At the Cleveland date, he said, "A lot of you guys are probably better guitarists than me, but fuck you, 'cause I got the record deal." Why be an asshole.

Bahhh, how can you take this seriously ? It's sarcasm man...I can swear this
Don't be offended for that...Man, I've been to slayer,Biohazard, machine head or Pantera gigs and I can swear you that guys like Robb flynn or Anselmo call their fans "fuckers" between every songs... That's metal !!!

Snowmaker said:
Typical snooty French fuck! You have got to be the most arogant asshole. I feel sorry for anyone that knows you.

Thank you again !!! I'm the new Village people webmaster

Snowmaker said:
That's why you have nothing better to do than start shit on a message board?

arguing.jpg

Nice pic, unfortunally I don't find jokes about handicaped people very funny as my little brother is a 10 years old "retarded" kid stuck in chair for his short life. However you didn't know that, so I won't blame you for that

Now THIS really proves the SymphonyX fan's point about how Geoff is an immature jerkface and they are righteously indignant about that. I mean bringing in your friends to win an argument by sheer volume of flaming . . . THAT makes your side look unlike hypocrites because ummm Michael Romeo can really play!!!

oldlyonfreak said:
Not because some of them don't like the DTB, just because some of them insult him, that's different . To finish, no matter who is better, no matter who plays faster, no matter if SYMPHONY X sounds like a pale copy of Yngwie Malmsteem,no matter if you like them and that I prefere Devin , no matter the music at all ... It's just that I understand that Dev was pissed off because of the crowd reaction. How would you feel if you are insulted while you're here for entertain people ? Do you think that it's logical to act like a complete asshole just because you don't like a band. As I wrote it before . If you payed for a show, you'd better enjoy the show instead of wasting you money and your time ...I've been to a lot of gigs, including Devy ones in 2001 and Godflesh were on the list. 90% of people found them horrible but they were not insulted and all that, we just waited for Dev to come on stage
while the rest of the SYL guys and Tracy were in the pit to talk with fans...
You know what, man? You have some nerve insulting both SymphonyX and their fans! A pale copy of Yngwie Malmsteen? Cocksuckers? You can like who you like better, but don't insult SymphonyX just because their fans didn't jump around for Devin. I was at the Pittsburgh show and there was only 1 comment that was made to him and it was as a response to a shitty remark Devin made on the mic. Devin said "No too animated tonight, I see". Then he steps back up to the mic and says "This sucks major ass", intending for everyone to hear his contempt. Someone from the back of the room yelled out "Fuck You", and in my opinion had a right to do so. Nobody insulted Devin or anything before this. I was there and had no idea what Devin's music was like, and I thought the guy was ok. I applauded for him. I'll give him this, he puts 100% into his singing, so I totally respect the guy for that. But don't sit here and bash the SyX fans because they weren't going crazy for him. Devin should keep his mouth closed about his frustration (or whatever he's dealing with) and I'm sure things would have been better. He got a decent round of applause from the crowd when he was done, so nobody was disrespecting him.

Anyway, maybe you hold some loyalty to Devin and are feeling defensive because he got booed or whatever, that's understandable. But don't dump on SyX fans for their reaction when Devin (in at least this one instance) instigated it, and with minimal negative response I might add.

And lastly, don't even insult SymphonyX's music! It may not be your cup of tea, but I'm not a huge fan of Devin's music and you don't see me calling his music a pale copy of some other band. That's just baby crap!

oldlyonfreak said:
Now symphony x should tour with Village people, their fans should enjoy this gay music more than the DTB
Again with the insults towards SymphonyX? You may thin that was a bash at the fans, but what you're implying is that SymphonyX fans like gay music, so therefore SymphonyX would have to be gay, wouldn't they?

You're an immature jerkoff!

Oh, and by the way... Why is it that you keep referring to the fans in the crowd as SyX fans? Where were the Devin fans? Everywhere I looked this tour was billed as if it was a double headlining tour. On the Hard Rock Cafe website it said "SymphonyX with Devin Townsend band". It wasn't a mystery that Devin was going to be playing, so where were his fans? He's reached a level of fame (if you will) in the music industry above what SyX has achieved to date, so why weren't there droves of Devin fans at these shows to support him? That's all I'm going to say. Goodbye.

Devin should keep his mouth closed about his frustration (or whatever he's dealing with) and I'm sure things would have been better .

It's impossible, I think, or he would sing Robbie williams songs, and write music about flowers and bunnies. But I understand what you mean, from what I know when the crowd is nasty Dev gets abusive

Geoff

scanner313 said:
what you're implying is that SymphonyX fans like gay music, so therefore SymphonyX would have to be gay, wouldn't they?

From my gay fan club, Thank you and good night !!!
I like some SYMPHONY X songs, but Erasure are far better...Sorry

scanner313 said:
Everywhere I looked this tour was billed as if it was a double headlining tour. On the Hard Rock Cafe website it said "SymphonyX with Devin Townsend band". It wasn't a mystery that Devin was going to be playing, so where were his fans? He's reached a level of fame (if you will) in the music industry above what SyX has achieved to date, so why weren't there droves of Devin fans at these shows to support him? That's all I'm going to say. Goodbye.
Those are incorrect statements. Devin, while having had his share of success has not been nearly as successful as SX with DTB. If you are referring to Vai then I must also point out that for most Vai fans, Sex and Religion is considered his worst album. DTB and the other solo releases have had many different labels distributing them over the eyars but it is only since InsideOut America decided to carry them that they have been distributed worldwide. DT and HDR were a basement operation until then. While SYL had its share of success, it never once had the power to book a US tour as headliner. The show was billed as DTB opening for SX around here.

As a result, DTB had much less fans in attendance than SX, and since the music seems incompatible for a majority of SX fans, Devin got disenchanted with the whole tour, probably the reason of his comments at the Pittsburg show.

mindspell said:
Those are incorrect statements. Devin, while having had his share of success has not been nearly as successful as SX with DTB. If you are referring to Vai then I must also point out that for most Vai fans, Sex and Religion is considered his worst album.
OK, I'll give you that maybe not in all areas was the show billed as a co-headlining tour, but everywhere that I, personally, saw the show billed it was listed as "SymphonyX with Devin Townsend Band" or "SymphonyX to tour with Devin Townsend Band". Not "SymphonyX" alone and DTB just listed as an opener. It looked to me as if Inside Out was trying to promote this as a double bill and not as a headliner / opener tour. I never once saw a billing for this show where Devin wasn't mentioned in the header. Hence, I would have expected any Devin Townsend fan to be well aware that he was playing these dates. Therefore, if he has a good number of fans they should have been there for him. Maybe he doesn't, but you would think that he would have gained some notoriety through his involvement with Steve Vai. In that sense, worst album or not, I think he's achieved a level of fame somewhat higher than SyX. Maybe not, who cares anyway.

Really the problem is that DTB fans seem to think that in every single city Devin had people screaming and booing at him. This just plain isn't true, it seems he was accepted pretty well at most cities.

kleo706 said:
Now THIS really proves the SymphonyX fan's point about how Geoff is an immature jerkface and they are righteously indignant about that. I mean bringing in your friends to win an argument by sheer volume of flaming . . . THAT makes your side look unlike hypocrites because ummm Michael Romeo can really play!!!
Remember what I said about how some people are assholes but thats no reason to put every single SX fan into that group? Yeah....

Unfortunately for Devin, he was confirmed on the bill at the Los Angeles show fairly late in the game. The Symphony-X show (including supporting acts) had been confirmed and booked for over TWO MONTHS before DTB was put on the bill.

When I was booked for the show, I specifically asked if Devin Townsend was on the bill with Symphony-X, and I was told, "No, this isn't a package deal: only Symhpony-X is headlining, with you as the main support act."

Over two months later, the booker for the show had to call me and tell me that Devin Townsend had been added to the bill, and although it was considered sort of a "double-headliner", there was no time for additional promotion, and DTB wasn't even added to the tickets being sold through TicketMaster.

In fact, all the tickets said, "Leslie Spring" on the first line, and "Symphony-X" in slightly larger lettering on the second. Although the final couple of weeks of ads in the L.A. weekly listed DTB for the show, it was in the same tiny lettering as for the other support/opening acts.

So for the L.A. show, if there WERE Devin Townsend fans who wanted to see him, most of them probably didn't know about it.

Now, I'm not defending the handfull of Symphony-X fans who were disrespectful of DTB BEFORE he lost it, because that's just not cool. However, once he started in with the abuse toward the audience in general, he became "fair-game".

Personally, I LIKE his music enough to own all of his CDs, and I STILL think he could have won over the crowd if he hadn't launched into his tirades, no matter if he was joking or not.

edit: I'll say the same thing here that I've said elsewhere. Devin was really cool backstage, so in retrospect, I can see that it might have been part of his act, but still...