The "Education" Thread

I've been so lazy about submitting for scholarships since they say they go to tuition or books/fees, and the GI Bill covers all that. I got a major blow to my ego because although atm I qualify for Summa Cum Laude, according to the details as a transfer student, I have too many transfer credits to qualify (even though most of my xfer credits are As). Even with my 11-12 yr old stuff included I think I'm MCL worthy, but xfer doesn't count. FML.

Gonna be talking to my professor about the group I'm a part of for all of our quizzes and projects in his class. Only two of our six members do any work at all. I have done my best to provide our members with resources and avenues to expedite our workflow and encourage collaboration, and it just ends up being me and my other decent group member hauling ass every week. I must have spent 12-15 hours this weekend cranking out spreadsheets and translating them in ERP entries.

What a nightmare of class today with my 8th graders. Just one thing after another. First, there was a condom lying on the floor, which sent the class into an uproar. Then, we're working on imagery and the students were supposed to give several sentences describing an object through imagery and the other students were supposed to guess what it was. One student gives me this:

"It's long, black and shiny and fluid sprays out of it... A black mamba!" :lol: And he said it with so much innocence as if he didn't know there was an innuendo. Then everyone was in an uproar and the rest of the class turned into a competition to say the dumbest thing.

Then another kid uses a discussion on free speech as an excuse to drop the N bomb and my guiding teacher kicks him out of class.

Just a total mess. A lot of it was my fault. My lesson plan wasn't nearly focused enough and my classroom management sucked. I really wish I could just get hammered and forget today ever happened, but instead I have to write an essay, grade papers and revise my lesson plan.

I need a drink after each day I teach. Today went well, though, as my students are finally getting the hang of what class discussion is all about, and I can actually see them trying to apply some of the themes of prior discussions and lessons on analysis in order to generate new insights. Then I fucked it up by mixing up two students' names. Two blonde girls who looked pretty much the same.

You needn't be driven to drink just because of mixing up student names. Just about all my teachers who attempt to learn names do it a few times.

I just can't get both of my classes going well at the same time. At first my 10th grade class was like a funeral and I couldn't get any dialogue in there or anyone to do their work, but my 8th grade class was awesome: vocal, participating and thoughtful. Now the 10th graders are beginning to trust me and opening up, and are actually doing their assignments. On the other hand, I think my 8th graders have gotten comfortable enough with me that they're trying to push my buttons and test my limits. And they're fucking good at it.

You needn't be driven to drink just because of mixing up student names. Just about all my teachers who attempt to learn names do it a few times.

I enjoy a drink after the days I teach; although I teach in the mornings, and then typically have other responsibilities after that, so drinking right after class isn't an option.

But a beer around 5:30-6, after I get home, is anticipated. Not for the alcohol as much as for the taste.

I enjoy a drink after the days I teach; although I teach in the mornings, and then typically have other responsibilities after that, so drinking right after class isn't an option.

But a beer around 5:30-6, after I get home, is anticipated. Not for the alcohol as much as for the taste.

Well sure. I drink most days, because I enjoy the beverage. But drinking to cope isn't a good thing.

By the way, one of the best education ideas I've ever come across regarding discipline is this: a school has one teacher whose soul purpose is for discipline and nothing else. Having trouble with kids in your class? Just send them to the discipline teacher instead of getting mad and shouting yourself hoarse. Also, there's no shortage of detention and line-writing/trash cleaning/classroom mopping/etc available for naughty shits if there's one teacher whose entire job is dedicated to it. Teachers in general waste too much time being "police officers" as opposed to actual educators, and this is one of the best solutions I've seen so far.

Gonna be talking to my professor about the group I'm a part of for all of our quizzes and projects in his class. Only two of our six members do any work at all. I have done my best to provide our members with resources and avenues to expedite our workflow and encourage collaboration, and it just ends up being me and my other decent group member hauling ass every week. I must have spent 12-15 hours this weekend cranking out spreadsheets and translating them in ERP entries.

Good luck with that, generally the only advice I receive in that environment is to just give them a bad peer grade at the end of the project, which doesn't help at all.

Just busted my first cheater. Feels amazing.

EDIT: I mix up students pretty often too tbh. It's especially bad when their acne is the confusing identifier. :eek: