The "Education" Thread

Just busted my first cheater. Feels amazing.

EDIT: I mix up students pretty often too tbh. It's especially bad when their acne is the confusing identifier. :eek:

I know about 3 of my hundreds of students names. I deal in quantity not quality though. It's how it must be for general ed classes. And it's the only way to really make money as an adjunct college professor.

Hopefully someday I can teach higher level courses for math majors. Statistics is my favorite class to teach at the moment. I get pretty creative with it.

I caught a pair of cheaters once. I didn't turn them in.

I remember my first semester of teaching I caught a plagiarized essay. This guy had cut and pasted an essay together from five different sources: one of them being livejournal, which kind of blew my mind. When I confronted him he looked like he was going to shit himself. I gave him an F for the assignment and didn't turn him into the Dean or anything. He ended up passing the class with a C by the skin of his teeth

My first tutoring session went really well. The group that had signed up for the first hour stayed for the second hour. The Categorical Imperative, Good Wills, etc.

Had a girl storm out of my 10th grade class today when I demanded she put her cell phone away and she refused. Had to hold two other kids after class for having their phones out. It's amazing how much of disease cell phones are to school. Heck even in my grad classes people are texting during class and these people are all teachers themselves!

Other than that the district wasted our entire week by giving us this stupid standardized assessment that was super complex, boring, and way beyond my student's current knowledge/abilities. I fucking hate how much time districts waste with these stupid tests.

There is no way in hell I could teach high school. Cell phones aren't the disease. The inability to put them away is a symptom of a larger problem that pervades society at all levels. Children have no boundaries until the cop or gangbanger puts a bullet in them. Or the 10th grade teacher tells them to put their phone away.

Taught a class to my guys today and there's this couple (we'll call them Tanya and Chris) who always sit next to each other during every class, so I assumed they were boyfriend and girlfriend. Well, my boss recently told me that I should teach sex-ed because a lot of our guys are promiscuous and teaching them safe sex should be part of the curriculum. I took note of course, and decided I'll teach it to them when it gets a little warmer. This way they will have an interesting class to look forward to and I'll be able to keep their attention when it's summer and harder for them to focus.

Well, I noticed a little while after class, Tanya and Chris were heading up pass the third floor. Now my building only has three floors, the next floor is the roof. I thought it strange, so I told my boss that they went to the roof. My boss' eyes grew huge and she grabbed my wrist and ran up to the roof with me. Ugh… tell me why they were in the middle of some sexual act in like 15 degree weather? Had to call their parents… Chris is in a foster home with a real shitty foster mom who wants nothing but his SSI check, and now she's trying to prohibit him from taking his class.

I guess you live and you learn. Sometimes, you really can't tell the parents/guardians.

Edit: Luckily, there's a no cellphone policy for my special-ed class. I think something like that would do more harm than good in a regular setting though, especially HS..

There is no way in hell I could teach high school. Cell phones aren't the disease. The inability to put them away is a symptom of a larger problem that pervades society at all levels. Children have no boundaries until the cop or gangbanger puts a bullet in them. Or the 10th grade teacher tells them to put their phone away.

Well yeah that's what I was getting at. Cell phones are just a tool and like any tool are only as destructive/productive as one makes them.

Most my high schools students actually have good boundaries but there's certainly a faction who lack impulse control. And for other's it's just about not being told what to do.

Taught a class to my guys today and there's this couple (we'll call them Tanya and Chris) who always sit next to each other during every class, so I assumed they were boyfriend and girlfriend. Well, my boss recently told me that I should teach sex-ed because a lot of our guys are promiscuous and teaching them safe sex should be part of the curriculum. I took note of course, and decided I'll teach it to them when it gets a little warmer, so they have an interesting class to look forward to/keep their attention when it's summer and harder to keep their attention.

Well, I noticed a little while after class, Tanya and Chris were heading up pass the third floor. Now my building only has three floors, the next floor is the roof. I thought it strange, so admittedly tell my boss they went to the roof. My boss' eyes grew huge and she grabbed my wrist and ran up to the roof with me. Ugh… tell me why they were in the middle of some sexual act in like 15 degree weather? Had to call their parents… Chris is in a foster home with a real shitty foster mom who wants nothing but his SSI check, and now she's trying to prohibit him from taking his class.

I guess you live and you learn. Sometimes, you really can't tell the parents/guardians.

Damn. That really sucks. Yeah you definitely have to be selective about what you do/do not say to the parents, especially foster parents (not that they're all bad, but there are definitely some who are doing it for the wrong reasons). How old are your students?

They only discipline kids as a full-time job and never teach? Seems unlikely.

They exist, I spent a substantial portion of high school sitting in the assistant principles' offices.

My first tutoring session went really well. The group that had signed up for the first hour stayed for the second hour. The Categorical Imperative, Good Wills, etc.

Awesome, sounds like it went well. My college has a walk-in basis tutoring program, so I pretty much sit in the room and work on homework until somebody comes in. It's slow though. CCs aren't always the places where people are serious about looking for help.

I was pretty proud the other day because I had a student who needed tutoring in Classical/Romantic Music and writing essays for American History, so I successfully analogized Sonata Allegro form to essay writing. Two birds with one stone.

Damn. That really sucks. Yeah you definitely have to be selective about what you do/do not say to the parents, especially foster parents (not that they're all bad, but there are definitely some who are doing it for the wrong reasons). How old are your students?

Yeah, totally. We have case workers to help them for instances like that, but unfortunately they only get a case worker if their IQs are in the lower functioning (moderate MR) range.

They are between the ages of 21-40s. Most of them are in their 20s though.

One of my students asked what music I listen to today. I said I like all kinds of stuff, but my favorite is thrash metal. Most of them said "what's that? what's thrash metal?" two guys were like Yeah! (props to them) and a third guy said "like iron maiden?" hahaha. No iron maiden is not thrash.. but they're alright haha.

Had a girl storm out of my 10th grade class today when I demanded she put her cell phone away and she refused. Had to hold two other kids after class for having their phones out. It's amazing how much of disease cell phones are to school. Heck even in my grad classes people are texting during class and these people are all teachers themselves!

Other than that the district wasted our entire week by giving us this stupid standardized assessment that was super complex, boring, and way beyond my student's current knowledge/abilities. I fucking hate how much time districts waste with these stupid tests.

My cell phone policy in class is essentially that I won't take it away but will take silent note of it and deduct it from your participation grade for the day. I give them a 5-minute break between the two hours of each class period, and it's amazing how quickly they whip out there smartphones as soon as I declare break time.

Distractedness is the disease, Dak, and its cause is information glut as a result of digital media pervading every moment of one's day, packaged as a constant stream of tiny, indigestible bits of trivia that discourages the attainment of any depth in anything abstract and immaterial.

So is anyone on this forum not a teacher?

I'm just tutoring. I won't be teaching until grad school.

Distractedness is the disease, Dak, and its cause is information glut as a result of digital media pervading every moment of one's day, packaged as a constant stream of tiny, indigestible bits of trivia that discourages the attainment of any depth in anything abstract and immaterial.

Distractedness is rooted in a lack of discipline and/or mindfulness. One does not have to consume every byte produced.

i'm not a teacher

4185562_6971233_lz.jpg

I'm considering entering an economics PhD program, and one day may teach as well. Probably will want to find a very lucrative, high paying jerb before that though.

Mathiäs;10807484 said:
I'm considering entering an economics PhD program, and one day may teach as well. Probably will want to find a very lucrative, high paying jerb before that though.

Better check George Mason then. The majority of econ degrees are bunk. You'll just be another helicopter Ben.