The "Education" Thread

Isn't it just a combination of both pushing/line in the sand/'babysitting' them? A teacher just has to know which student(s) need which methods to succeed.

I don't like the "line in the sand" analogy. I personally think that there is a reactionary effort among educators today to be more rigid and stricter with their students, and I don't think it's conducive to learning. I don't buy the ideology of responsibility shtick.

Some of my best students have been older adults, but I don't believe this is because of a heightened sense of responsibility. It is sometimes more difficult to inspire interest on the part of younger students, and that responsibility lies with the educator.

But I'm sure that I'm making this argument into something bigger than it is, so I'll stop.

I was told a few days after my interview that I had gotten an assistantship that I would do while getting an MBA (which would then carry me into an economics phd program). However, they reversed the decision and gave it to someone else, for reasons unbeknownst to me at the moment.

For college instructors, what's your opinion on students using profanity in conversation with you? I had my first week with a new lab today, and one girl already managed to drop several shits and fucks, one example being (roughly quoted) "Oh yeah I'm on the roster, right there, I'm a fuckin Mexican and we all have long as hell names". It's a loud general chem lab and I would expect a bit of similar banter between peers, but it's just kinda weird having it shamelessly spoken like that to me. Where do you guys usually draw the student-instructor professional conduct barrier?

EDIT: Slightly related, in the brief periods when they weren't wearing their labcoats (entering and leaving), I saw much more cleavage than ever before when teaching. It was almost ridiculous, actually. I think I have pretty good eye control though.

I swear occasionally in class, so once they hear that I can't fault them much for it. I have, however, informed them about proper conduct when conversing via email. I often say something like: "In this case you're in the clear, but be aware that other faculty and/or administrators may be offended by such language."

I've had one prof who swears, and it's a language teacher, and she starts off by pseudo-apologizing for her language/content at the beginning of the semester. Swearing is a bigger deal in the Bible belt than the rest of the country I think, but it isn't professional in any case.

I swear in class occasionally, but usually to make a point. As I teach a Rhetoric class, the word "bullshit" becomes a useful term, especially in light of Harry Frankfurt's essay.

Yeah, it doesn't bother me or anything. Some of the professors are sticklers though and I'm just a little worried of the consequences if students are all like "Yo HamburgerBoy what the fuck's up?" and maybe one student in the back corner managed to sneak his/her goggles off and then I get yelled at for not staying on top of things.